Buck's reputation, that he can't win the big games

Valhalla

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand that this forum wants to be welcoming of all and open to all opinions, but part of me wishes that Tony, Soprano, or Weams could just wield Thor's hammer and ban anyone who posts something as idiotic as this OP.

It is not ban-able. But I'll call this craziness out every time.

It was truly embarrassing watching the Orioles this ALCS and this may be where Bucks reputation comes in that he is not a playoff caliber manager. Are we not starting to see it ring true?

Absolutely not. No one actually thinks this. He is AL manager of the year.

He has a reputation of taking teams far then choking. We were a better team than the Giants. Yet got swept.

He does not have any such reputation, and the Giants have Bumgarner

A lot of the Royals ALCS was in the O's heads that they can't win. While a great playoff manager, like Bochy, is able to keep his players calm despite the other teams luck.

Bochy could only stay ahead of that lucky team by one pitch even with Bumgarner being Thor. Besides, that team has won three out of the last five World Series. I don't think it is all about the manager there.

It was truly embarrassing watching the Orioles this ALCS and this may be where Bucks reputation comes in that he is not a playoff caliber manager. Are we not starting to see it ring true?

He has a reputation of taking teams far then choking. We were a better team than the Giants. Yet got swept.

A lot of the Royals ALCS was in the O's heads that they can't win. While a great playoff manager, like Bochy, is able to keep his players calm despite the other teams luck.

This garbage doesn't even dignify a response it's so ignorant and lacking perspective.

Yeah, Mike Scoscia can't coach in the big games either. It was ALL about Buck on the mound in those late innings- NOT O'Day and Britton blowing the games. It was ALL him making those ridiculous catches in the Royals outfield. It was ALL him because he surely left his magic genie bottle out for the Royals to steal and subsequently get some of the biggest broken bat and bloop hits in playoff history.

It was ALL Buck calling a strike a ball behind the plate. It was ALL Buck spotting the Royals 2 runs in the bottom of the first with a bad throw/catch at the plate.

COMPLETELY all Buck's fault we lost every game. Every game where a single base hit or defensive play or miscue could've changed the outcome- were ALL his fault.

He is SUCHHHH a choker. Wow. That just makes it all better now doesn't it? Now that we can blame Buck. An easy target with an unfair reputation.

He's taken teams with less talent then their competition and gotten them to the playoffs multiple times. Maybe we did or didn't have more talent than the Royals- that's HIGHLY debatable in that playoff bubble- with all of our injuries and their team fully healthy and hitting their peak performance level at the right time- but the bottom line is, Buck is a proven winner- and ONLY ONE TEAM can win a World Series each season. It takes a LOT of things going right to make it happen, and the better "team," the better "manager," the better "players," don't always win. It's a team sport! All you can ask is to be put in a position to win every year, and let the players take their best shot- BUCK DOES THAT.

How many chances did Bill Cowher need to finally win the big one? I'm sure there's along list like that too.

Everybody is a "choker" until they win one. Wow these posts irritate the hell out of me.

Everybody is a "choker" until they win one. Wow these posts irritate the hell out of me.

That is the purpose of these type of posts. A former poster would make these every time the Orioles lost a game. Turned out he was a Yankees fan in sheep's clothing. He would have loved to have Buck back.

[video=youtube;hx8EujvMmSM]

I just look at the results. The fact is, Buck has had a track record of failure in the post season, followed by success by the managers who follow him. You can all make excuses and act like this is all a magical coincidence, or realize there is something in his managing style that does not lead to post season success. If this was one instance, maybe, but it is with every team he has ever managed, they choke in the post season.

I just look at the results. The fact is, Buck has had a track record of failure in the post season, followed by success by the managers who follow him. You can all make excuses and act like this is all a magical coincidence, or realize there is something in his managing style that does not lead to post season success. If this was one instance, maybe, but it is with every team he has ever managed, they choke in the post season.

BrokenEggs.jpg

OK, I'll bite...yes, Buck has a past record of not gettin' it done, in your estimation. BUT, ARE YOU KIDDING!@. Jones was putrid, and no Starting 3rd, 1st and Catcher...come on man.

We were down Markakis in 2012, that hurt, big time. Take away three key starters

in 2014 and you get this result. It is what it is. Catastrophe. Add a red hot Royals thing and you are not going to the World Series. I would go to war with Buck through 2020. Maybe longer.

I just look at the results.

Well then, maybe you should look further.

On the flip side, Joe Torre won 6 pennants in 8 years while managing the Yankees between 1996 and 2003.

In my rat's ass of an opinion, Torre's teams' successes in the postseason do not necessarily make him a "great" manager, any more than Showlater should have his credentials as a manager questioned because his teams have not (yet) won a pennant, and made it to baseball's biggest stage (the World Series.)

Archived