Calling it now Orioles will go into Panic mode

Greg

I know of whom you speak but unlike you I don't think that entitles him to extra years and dollars. If weams is right and they offered him 4/$34 I think that's fair if not a slight overpay.

I think 4/34 would be objectively fair and reasonable, using some slightly optimistic assumptions. But it seems like Markakis is expecting more. I would be good with that contract. I don't see how anyone could rationally justify the $45-55M contracts that we've seen in rumors. Those numbers would require both ignoring 2013 and assuming little or no aging into his 30s, or for free agent prices to increase to more than $10M/win over the next four years. I get a little over 4/$50M if I assume very slow aging, use his 2014 season as a baseline (ignoring 2013), and assume a win will be $9M in four years. So you can get Markakis worth 4/50 if all of the assumptions are tilted pretty heavily in his favor.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We can speculate that. I don't doubt that he has a plan but I would think that his plan included Cruz and maybe Markakis.

We are now on a "Plan B" or more of a fall back plan.

Did Dan's plan include resigning Miller? Or adding Melky Cabrera? Trading Ubaldo? What did plan A include?

Did Dan's plan include resigning Miller? Or adding Melky Cabrera? Trading Ubaldo? What did plan A include?

Plan A was probably to sign Lester, Scherzer, Cruz, etc. :clap3:

We all know that Cruz and Markakis were our primary targets and maybe moving Jimenez... Miller not so much.

Theres never a set plan.... I think its just more that we have to cross those names off the board and go from there.

We can speculate that. I don't doubt that he has a plan but I would think that his plan included Cruz and maybe Markakis.

I would hope that Plan A was "sign Cruz and/or Markakis if the contracts are reasonable, move on to X, Y, Z if it's not." If we strongly suspected that Cruz' other offers would be silly I'm sure Duquette did, too.

If DD is anything he is a man who plans for possible eventualities.

I would be stunned if he did not have some plans for what to do if Cruz left. Actually I think his Plan A realistically did not include Cruz, the O's never were going 4 years on him and I think DD is smart enough to know he was likely to get someone to go 4yrs. Plan B was prob the one were the O's got lucky and were able to snag Cruz back on a 3 year deal

I would hope that Plan A was "sign Cruz and/or Markakis if the contracts are reasonable, move on to X, Y, Z if it's not." If we strongly suspected that Cruz' other offers would be silly I'm sure Duquette did, too.

Even Buck acknowledged we made Nick a "quality offer" and then goes on to say "life will go on" if we don't sign him. He was speaking about both Cruz and Markakis at the time.

[video=youtube_share;63AFrYaqlpY]http://youtu.be/63AFrYaqlpY

Archived