What does Nick's departure say to the other players who we may want to retain?

Frobby

Also tells me "We Love Our Guys" is simple a PR thing. Nick,one of Bucks favorites is gone. Heard a lot of clubhouse chemistry and Cruz was great with the latin players and Nick just goes out and does his job. Just look at the turnover from 2013. Outfield will be way different. Could lose many more players next year in free agency.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=2013&t=BAL

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sure. Why wouldn't he have?

The players don't have to be told it is a business, they know it is. It is the fans that need to be told, repeatedly.

I don't. Hardy has talked repeatedly about how comfortable he is here and how important the clubhouse atmosphere contributes to that. Nick was a big part of that clubhouse and therefore Hardy's decision to stay IMO.

I don't. Hardy has talked repeatedly about how comfortable he is here and how important the clubhouse atmosphere contributes to that. Nick was a big part of that clubhouse and therefore Hardy's decision to stay IMO.

Hardy was jacked around by the Brewers and Twins. The O's treated him well. There is a reason he wanted a very small NTC in his first extension.

I'm sure the players are in a little bit of a shock right now, but its December 4. Let's wait til April before we make decisions on whether Duke did the right thing or not.

I still say this wasn't about money, but rather about Duke thinking they can get better production in right field from someone other than Nick.

However, one tidbit from a players perspective. Billy Ripken said last night that players like Jones may be thinking, "You just spent 50 million on Ubaldo, but you can't resign an everyday player who's been with the team for 9 years?" He thinks that's why Jones is upset.

I still think Jones will be fine when he sees the final product.

Also tells me "We Love Our Guys" is simple a PR thing. Nick,one of Bucks favorites is gone. Heard a lot of clubhouse chemistry and Cruz was great with the latin players and Nick just goes out and does his job. Just look at the turnover from 2013. Outfield will be way different. Could lose many more players next year in free agency.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=2013&t=BAL

It was "Like" not "Love" ;)

I'm sure the players are in a little bit of a shock right now, but its December 4. Let's wait til April before we make decisions on whether Duke did the right thing or not.

I still say this wasn't about money, but rather about Duke thinking they can get better production in right field from someone other than Nick.

However, one tidbit from a players perspective. Billy Ripken said last night that players like Jones may be thinking, "You just spent 50 million on Ubaldo, but you can't resign an everyday player who's been with the team for 9 years?" He thinks that's why Jones is upset.

I still think Jones will be fine when he sees the final product.

I think spending 50 on Ubaldo last season then not spending 40 on Nick this year is a lot different then not spending 40 on Nick this year then going out and spending 50 on Ubaldo.

Practically ... it means nothing. Business is business. Things will go on.

While letting Nick go was the right move imo, I am concerned about these reports about offering a 4th year, pulling it because of a physical/MRI, and then maybe putting it back on the table again at that last minute. That's some nonsense if true. Then again I don't know the details for sure and what is true or nor. Still, having these types of reports out can't be good for business. We can live with a reputation as being hard and calculating, but we also need a reputation as being fair and consistent.

I think DD made a poor business decision not strangling Nick with the QO. That was either a miscalculation or us being too nice to Nick. I am not sure. But either way it was poor imo and Nick should be thankful.

Players may not like business decisions, but they should not be running the zoo or even having any real say in how to run the zoo. Let them vent and reflect like we are about Nick, Cruz, Jim Johnson, Brian Roberts ......whatever.

In the end winning, money, economics and good business decisions trump losing, loyalty and poor business decisions. Our decision leans towards the former.

In the end, players will look out for their best interest and we should ours. Be nice, be fair, but in the end, always know this is the reality.

It tells them the O's have 10 more million a year they can spend.

Each negotiation is a unique beast and I don't think one particularly influences another.

Well said it's MLB its the nature of the beast. I LIKE OUR players, but man you just CAN NOT GET EMOTIONALLY ATTACHED. It's why I won't buy a jersey with a current O on it. I have one a #5 (Robinson), and I don't think they can trade him any more LOL ;)

I never expect the Orioles to sign their own players who reach free agency. That's why I've been preaching locking up Manny for two extra years since his rookie season. As far as I can see, nothing has changed and they all will be gone. In Manny's case, he'll be a very wealthy 26-year old.
That seems to be the MO of Os management: once a player hits free agency, then let him go walking elsewhere.

Hardy was jacked around by the Brewers and Twins. The O's treated him well. There is a reason he wanted a very small NTC in his first extension.

I'm unclear about who you mean when you say the O's treated him well. I assume you mean O's management? That may be true but I think it's much more than that. I think it's the culture Buck has developed and more importantly his relationship with his teammates. The Orioles had something special going on in that clubhouse. You heard it from the new players when they arrived and you heard it from the veterans. Part of what Hardy found so special about the O's when he signed this summer was eroded yesterday when Nick left.

Why Jones might be upset.

"I was thinking about that night and how unbelievably happy they were. When you get your noses bloodied together and more importantly you get it rubbed in it together, there's a real" partnership, manager Buck Showalter said about Markakis and Jones. "They were like two kids winning the Little League state championship. I got so much joy out of seeing how excited they were."

No players have been with the major league club longer than the duo. Markakis, 30, was the Orioles' first-round pick in 2003 and made the majors on Opening Day 2006. Jones, 29, joined him two seasons later in the spring of 2008 after he was dealt to the Orioles by the Seattle Mariners in the trade for Erik Bedard.

They have played 960 games together, sixth-most by any current pair of active teammates in baseball, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. Only one pair of outfielders is ahead of them: the Los Angeles Dodgers' Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier, who have played together in 986 games.

http://www.yorkdispatch.com/sports/ci_26642000/together-since-2008-adam-jones-and-nick-markakis

The players will get over it they know it's a business, or they would not have signed up for the job, quite frankly they should be happy that Nick got that kind of $$$ I think the Braves are nuts, but hey great for Nick.

NOW go find somebody to unload Ubaldo to so we can keep Miller LOL :thumbsup1:

That seems to be the MO of Os management: once a player hits free agency, then let him go walking elsewhere.

That's why they didn't wait on Hardy. But don't lay it all on the team. When players hit free agency they are eager to find out what they are "really worth" in a competitive marketplace. It's very difficult for any team to keep its own players once they hit free agency. How many good players don't move on?

Archived