Duke@MD 2/11

Pushmonkey

UNC has alot of upper classman though, that is the difference. Duke only has one junior and no seniors. UNC has alot more than that.

However, the talent is there and at the point in the season, the lack of experience is less of an issue.

Bottom line is they looked terrible for 10 minutes tonight and that was enough for them to lose.

But they have played well lately....for the first 37 minutes.

Well, you just beat me for dumbest thing you've ever said. We have ONE Senior starter and two upperclassmen who get 5-7 minutes per game. Come on now. We have THREE FRESHMAN who start. I'd say that's less experience than Dook has.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not really. I mean they beat an average ACC team that they matched up with really well. Yeah, they came out and played well for the first ten minutes while Duke was laying an egg. I didn't see anything different than I saw from any of the other games other than they cut down on turnovers. They still got outplayed from the 8min mark in the first half until about the 6 min mark in the second half. Lets not pretend they came out and played a great game tonight. It was a good win in a must win game but honestly there was nothing I saw that leads me believe they can go on the road and beat NC State or Clemson in two more must win games.
That, and they took good shots, and rebounded very well, played very good defense, didn't get into too much foul trouble. The only thing that didn't go our way was that Mike Jones didn't really get going until the end.

That, and they took good shots, and rebounded very well, played very good defense, didn't get into too much foul trouble. The only thing that didn't go our way was that Mike Jones didn't really get going until the end.

If you mean the first 12 min or so I agree. They played very well in that spurt, but we've seen them play well in spurts before. For the rest of the game I don't completely agree with you. The shot selection was pretty good all game but we did get in foul trouble and then our defense got sloppy again midway through the second half which allowed them back into the game.

Again, it was a good win but again the "good" play was in spurts. It wasn't a complete game effort. I can't say the win gives me confidence in this team turning things around and making any kind of run at the tourny.

McRoberts was easily the best pro prospect in the game. I said last year, he's a better prospect than Sheldon Williams, and he's doing nothing to change my opinion. But other than him, while they're young - I don't see great upside.

Really? I thought McRoberts had probably the quietest, least important 20 point game I've ever seen. He did next to nothing when Maryland had Gist or Ibekwe on him. He won't be able to score on quick NBA forwards like that. He got almost all of his points against Bowers and Osby, two guys who you won't be seeing playing in the NBA.

Much needed win. I won't call it a great win because Duke is down this year, but a win over Duke always looks good on the NCAA resume. It was a great effort though. I still think we get in at 7-9, definitely if we win an ACC tourney game. Just need to bring that type of back-against-the-wall effort every week. We've got some real tough games coming up that we need to win.

Grevis was great, Gist and Ibekwe were very effective, especially defensively where they made McRoberts look like Bowers, DJ played a very efficient game and between him and Greivis led the rally that put it away.

If I was a Duke fan though I'd be livid that K gave up with 1:30 left. What the deuce was that about? You'll never see Gary give up with that much time left.

If you mean the first 12 min or so I agree. They played very well in that spurt, but we've seen them play well in spurts before. For the rest of the game I don't completely agree with you. The shot selection was pretty good all game but we did get in foul trouble and then our defense got sloppy again midway through the second half which allowed them back into the game.

But look at who was in the game when that rally was going on. If a roster of Hayes, Brown, DJ, Neal, and Bowers can be on the floor for about 5-6 minutes and only go -6 or whatever it was over that time, we'll be in good shape. When we had the main 6-7 guys in there, we outplayed them nearly every single minute.

But look at who was in the game when that rally was going on. If a roster of Hayes, Brown, DJ, Neal, and Bowers can be on the floor for about 5-6 minutes and only go -6 or whatever it was over that time, we'll be in good shape. When we had the main 6-7 guys in there, we outplayed them nearly every single minute.

Agreed. Which is why I thought we would win the game. It was one of the only matchups in the ACC where I thought Ibekwe and Gist could be effective down low both offensively and defensively.

But you bring up another point which is another cause for concern.That is the depth. Gary is a coach who prefers to go 8 or 9 deep but honestly we only should be going 7 deep right now and unfortunately outside of the 6th man(Hayes) none of the other guys are ACC calibar players. The 7th man has to be one of the bigs to rest Gist and Ibekwe but Osby, Neal and Bowers shouldn't be in together and they shouldn't be in to do anything but steal 4-5 min at a time to give Ibekwe or Gist a quick break.

Agreed. Which is why I thought we would win the game. It was one of the only matchups in the ACC where I thought Ibekwe and Gist could be effective down low both offensively and defensively.

But you bring up another point which is another cause for concern.That is the depth. Gary is a coach who prefers to go 8 or 9 deep but honestly we only should be going 7 deep right now and unfortunately outside of the 6th man(Hayes) none of the other guys are ACC calibar players. The 7th man has to be one of the bigs to rest Gist and Ibekwe but Osby, Neal and Bowers shouldn't be in together and they shouldn't be in to do anything but steal 4-5 min at a time to give Ibekwe or Gist a quick break.

I agree, but with 4-5 guys (Osby, Bowers, Neal, Brown, Millbourne) theres a decent chance we can steal 4-5 solid minutes out of 1 big and 1 guard each game, which is nice. Sometimes its just hard to find who is going to play the good minutes and who is going to hurt us a lot.

Bowers played really well tongiht, but Osby strugged. Neal stole a few solid minutes.

The 7th man has to be one of the bigs to rest Gist and Ibekwe but Osby, Neal and Bowers shouldn't be in together and they shouldn't be in to do anything but steal 4-5 min at a time to give Ibekwe or Gist a quick break.

4-5 minutes at a time is a heck of a lot of time for a break, especially with TV time-outs. Osby played great at the beginning of the year, but he has struggled. If you are getting 60 minutes from Gist/Ebekwe then you need 20 from Osby, Neal, and Bowers. Bowers certainly has earned minutes this year. He is not great, but is servicable for about 10 minutes a game. I think Neal deserves more time. I don't care if he is not "ACC caliber," the guy has a high basketball IQ and gives you every bit of hustle and effort he has. Osby is the one who is mystifying, he has just been aweful in the ACC.

Well, you just beat me for dumbest thing you've ever said. We have ONE Senior starter and two upperclassmen who get 5-7 minutes per game. Come on now. We have THREE FRESHMAN who start. I'd say that's less experience than Dook has.

I thought a few of the guys like Frasor, Green and Ginyard were juniors.

UNC still has more experience but it is not as much as i thought.

I thought a few of the guys like Frasor, Green and Ginyard were juniors.

UNC still has more experience but it is not as much as i thought.

No big deal, you know I love ya but had to give it back to you (the dumbest comment thing). Honestly, you guys are going through what we went through last year, and will probably lose early in the NCAA's, like we did to Mason last year. Which in turn will make you better next season, especially since McRoberts NBA value has gone way down.

No big deal, you know I love ya but had to give it back to you (the dumbest comment thing). Honestly, you guys are going through what we went through last year, and will probably lose early in the NCAA's, like we did to Mason last year. Which in turn will make you better next season, especially since McRoberts NBA value has gone way down.

He is still a lottery pick(probably top 8)....He is likely going to be a better NBA player than college player.

However, i do hope he comes back because they won't lose anyone else off of the team(only other guy i could see is if Henderson goes off the rest of the year....he could be a Maggette type fast riser).

They have a very solid recruiting class coming in, including a top 5 player in the entire country.

He is still a lottery pick(probably top 8)....He is likely going to be a better NBA player than college player.

However, i do hope he comes back because they won't lose anyone else off of the team(only other guy i could see is if Henderson goes off the rest of the year....he could be a Maggette type fast riser).

They have a very solid recruiting class coming in, including a top 5 player in the entire country.

What in the world makes you think McRoberts is goingg to be a great NBA player. He may have a decent career but I don't see him being an impact player and I think he will be a better college player than he will every be in the NBA. He is not quick enough to be much in that area and he does not play that strong either. To me he is kind of a tweener.

What in the world makes you think McRoberts is goingg to be a great NBA player. He may have a decent career but I don't see him being an impact player and I think he will be a better college player than he will every be in the NBA. He is not quick enough to be much in that area and he does not play that strong either. To me he is kind of a tweener.

Well, he was projected to be a top 4-7 pick last year, so i am not the only one who thinks that.

McRoberts has 2 big flaws:

1) He is not assertive enough

2) Doesn't have much of a mid range game

He is a very good rebounder...He is an exceptional passer and ball handler, especially for a player his size. He is very athletic(not many 6'10" white guys run the floor like him and catch and finish alley oops like he does).

His ability to be able to draw big men out and drive on them will help him in the pros.

He will likely be a top 10 pick, there is little doubt about that. How good he becomes will depend on how hard he works and how much he wants it.

Archived