Duke@MD 2/11

Pushmonkey

My favorite memory is when drew nicholas hit the last second shot against UNC Wilmington in the first round of the tourney in 2003. Man that was amazing.

I can remember John Goldsberry for UNCW who hit all 8 of his 3 pt attempts (a tourney record). The game was just great all around

I wouldn't call that a great game. Maryland played like crap against a team it should have ran over and needed a miracle shot to avoid a first-round knockout.

Certainly one of the most memorable finishes to a tournament game ever, but it wasn't a great game, at least from Maryland's perspective.

One game that kind of gets forgotten amid the championship run was the game against UConn to get into the Final 4. That was a fantastic game. Steve Blake hit probably the biggest shot of his career with a couple minutes left and the Terps up by 3. Gary called a play for Juan to get a three, Blake stopped him in the huddle, told him he was taking the shot, and then drilled it for a 6 point lead and enough cushion to put the game out of reach after we made some foul shots.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't call that a great game. Maryland played like crap against a team it should have ran over and needed a miracle shot to avoid a first-round knockout.

Certainly one of the most memorable finishes to a tournament game ever, but it wasn't a great game, at least from Maryland's perspective.

One game that kind of gets forgotten amid the championship run was the game against UConn to get into the Final 4. That was a fantastic game. Steve Blake hit probably the biggest shot of his career with a couple minutes left and the Terps up by 3. Gary called a play for Juan to get a three, Blake stopped him in the huddle, told him he was taking the shot, and then drilled it for a 6 point lead and enough cushion to put the game out of reach after we made some foul shots.

We may not have played well but I remember ending up on the floor while going crazy at my friends house. The best part was that Drew hit the three and ran to the locker room as it was going in, just classic. I also remember Francis hitting a 3 at the buzzer to beat Duke..

That might have been one of the top-5 happiest days of my life. I just couldn't wipe the grin off my face the whole day.

I was sitting right behind the basket at which MD was shooting in the first half. I have to agree with Mackus - when Blake stole that ball and laid it in, Cole was going absolutely apesh!t. I might have permanently lost hearing from that moment.

That whole season, and being a student at the time, was truly one of the best experiences of my life. Just so much fun.

That might have been one of the top-5 happiest days of my life. I just couldn't wipe the grin off my face the whole day.

I was sitting right behind the basket at which MD was shooting in the first half. I have to agree with Mackus - when Blake stole that ball and laid it in, Cole was going absolutely apesh!t. I might have permanently lost hearing from that moment.

That whole season, and being a student at the time, was truly one of the best experiences of my life. Just so much fun.

That is great, we had to be sitting almost right next to each other. I was there until I shot my free throws at the 7 minute tv time out. Didn't hit the rim once... but only made one. :o

My favorite memory is when drew nicholas hit the last second shot against UNC Wilmington in the first round of the tourney in 2003. Man that was amazing.I can remember John Goldsberry for UNCW who hit all 8 of his 3 pt attempts (a tourney record). The game was just great all around

Hell, i even jumped up screaming at the amazement of that shot.

I'm not a huge Maryland fan but remember being very happy for some friends when they beat Stanford to get to that first Final Four.

Yeah that was also a terrific game.

Juan Dixon and Lonny Baxter man. I know there were some other very, very crucial members of those teams, but those two guys were simply amazing. I hate that Lonny has recently gotten in some trouble, because in addition to being great players, they both seemed like great people as well. I'd give anything to watch them play one more game in a Terps uniform together, and I'm so happy that they got to go out the way they should, on top of the game. I'll never forget the image of both of them on the ground hugging the ball after that win.

I've said it before: the high-rise dorm I was watching the game in at Maryland was shaking after Blake did that.

And those things survived a frickin' tornado :P

I think you have to put the game in terms of not who you root for but how the game drew out...it was exciting the whole way, and just being in the NCAA tourney at that point was huge. Even though we should have beat them, they put up an amazing effort, thats why the game itself was a classic

Yeah that was also a terrific game.

Juan Dixon and Lonny Baxter man. I know there were some other very, very crucial members of those teams, but those two guys were simply amazing. I hate that Lonny has recently gotten in some trouble, because in addition to being great players, they both seemed like great people as well. I'd give anything to watch them play one more game in a Terps uniform together, and I'm so happy that they got to go out the way they should, on top of the game. I'll never forget the image of both of them on the ground hugging the ball after that win.

Tahj Holden was money in that game along with Lonny.

Some great Md moments that come to mind over the last 14-15 years(god...im getting old)

MD-Georgetown'93- Put Md back on the map and hooked me on the Terrapins for life. Joe mith and Keith Booth arrived this day. Simpkins with the floater for the game winner and Gary jumping around and going crazy after the win. It still brings a chill to me when I think about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1zCc9ymXm4&NR

Md vs UMass in the '94 tourny- Big underdog to the Camby led Minutemen who were a 2 seed. Great comeback after down early. MD's first sweet 16 since '85

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MHNb2MUg7fk

MD@ Duke '95- I remember being so pissed that I was on a school field trip to DC that day and I was gonna miss the game. Luckily, I got home in time to see the last 2 min of the game. Joe Smith with 40 and the tip in at the buzzard to send the Crazies home crying.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MNSOWN9VU-Y

MD@ Wake '97- I believe Wake was #2 at the time,certainly top 5 with senior Tim Duncan. Profit on the the nice draw and kickout from Booth for the game winner.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mBXKsH8khh8

UNC- MD '98- MD beats the #1 ranked Heels led by Carter and Jamison.

Duke- MD '01- Seriously, the rivalry begins and make no mistake it was a rivalry. Ask Battier or Jay Williams if you don't believe. Anyway all 4 games that year were classic. The heartbreak of Gone in 54 sec, to redemption in Durham, followed by IMO the best game in the ACC semis which was back in forth that ended with the half court shot by Juan that hits front iron and finally the collapse in the final four.

Duke in '02 @ Cole. Already brought up but what a dominating performance. Md was in control the whole way highlighted by the Blake steal and the nasty nasty Wilcox dunk.

Virginia @ MD '02- The closing of Cole. Great night. Sent Cole out in style with an undefeated final home season. A lot of great Terps returned to say goodbye.

Indiana-MD NC game. Well not the prettiest game. In fact it was quite ugly. The best game was the UConn game but this was the one that brought it all home. I'm not to proud to say I shed a tear this night

UNCW- MD tourny gm. Already discussed but yeah the Nicholas shot was just awesome. I remember we played the late gm and Drew hit the shot at like 12:30 am. I know I had to of woke up some people in my Apt building with as

loud as I screamed.

MD ACC tourny'04- Sadly the latest bright spot. Man was Gilchrist on fire for that tourny. Just dominated and carried us to the ACC title. The great comeback against Duke down by like 10 with just 5 min left made it that much sweeter.Oh yeah, I still got the crying Duke kid as my wallpaper on my computer.

Archived