Official Winter Meetings Thread

weams

I don't know why my message of Dan Duquette was scrubbed last night. But I feel if Dan is GM of the Orioles and he doesn't really want to be here, these winter meeting to the Orioles are useless.There is to much to be done and to many important decisions to be made.

I'll be glad when this is over and we move on, to singed a player or make a trade to improve this team.

I've been a Oriole fan since 1957, have seen the good and bad years but most important the last three years and looking forward to more.

The Orioles often don't do too much at the winter meetings, nor would I expect them to this year, even without the Canadian attack.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm ready for this whole Toronto thing to be put behind us, but I'll say it now, if Duke leaves the Winter Meetings without any significant moves, people are gonna be saying that his heart isn't with the Orioles. Right or wrong, that's what the perception will be.

I'm ready for this whole Toronto thing to be put behind us, but I'll say it now, if Duke leaves the Winter Meetings without any significant moves, people are gonna be saying that his heart isn't with the Orioles. Right or wrong, that's what the perception will be.

I agree with what you are saying, but I don't think DD really cares what people have to say.

I think you know me well enough to understand that I care little about perception. I'd make a poor politician.

I think saying "right or wrong" here is incorrect. I'm sure you agree that it will be "wrong."

I think you know me well enough to understand that I care little about perception. I'd make a poor politician.

You and me both Buddy. But people are already criticizing his moves saying he didn't resign Cruz, Kakes, and Miller because he wants the Toronto gig. Coming out of the Winter Meetings with nothing will add more fuel to that fire. And while you and I might not care about perceptions, God knows Baltimore fans in general care VERY much about what the National Media says about us. Its true for the O's. Its true for the Ravens. I fear some Orioles fans will turn on Duke, who has done nothing wrong in any of this mess. (nor has Peter, but we all know people will take any chance to criticize him as well.)

At the level of GM or above, these men are not fans of a particular club. They are executives paid to use their contacts and intellect to assemble and run a multi-billion dollar enterprise. Their loyalty is not to the team itself. Though there is much pride in authorship. Guys like Terry Ryan are non existent any longer.

You and me both Buddy. But people are already criticizing his moves saying he didn't resign Cruz, Kakes, and Miller because he wants the Toronto gig. Coming out of the Winter Meetings with nothing will add more fuel to that fire. And while you and I might not care about perceptions, God knows Baltimore fans in general care VERY much about what the National Media says about us. Its true for the O's. Its true for the Ravens. I fear some Orioles fans will turn on Duke, who has done nothing wrong in any of this mess. (nor has Peter, but we all know people will take any chance to criticize him as well.)

Today, anyone with a twitter account can make an accusation.

Dan probably was not going to make a significant move all off season even before the Blue Jays thing popped up. Do you cll adding Aoki, Young, Hundley and Breslow significant moves. Probably not. Dan calls them depth moves.

At the level of GM or above, these men are not fans of a particular club. They are executives paid to use their contacts and intellect to assemble and run a multi-billion dollar enterprise. Their loyalty is not to the team itself. Though there is much pride in authorship. Guys like Terry Ryan are non existent any longer.

Did you see him and Buck celebrating doused in champagne when we clinched the WC in 2012? That didn't look like an "executive" to me. Granted, I get your point, and in general I agree, but Dan sure as hell looks and acts like a fan of the Orioles.

Dan probably was not going to make a significant move all off season even before the Blue Jays thing popped up. Do you cll adding Aoki, Young, Hundley and Breslow significant moves. Probably not. Dan calls them depth moves.

I expect Dan will sign Melky and Morse this off-season (as well as bullpen depth0, though probably not at the winter meetings. The Morse deal will be one or two years, but both will be significant signing.

I expect Dan will sign Melky and Morse this off-season (as well as bullpen depth0, though probably not at the winter meetings. The Morse deal will be one or two years, but both will be significant signing.

So you think Dan is going to go 5/60 for Melky and 1/8 may 2/16 for Morse. Good luck with that. I don't see Dan spending that kind of money.

Archived