Official Winter Meetings Thread

weams

agreed, we got no reason not to given our lack of moves. However, I know people keep saying not everyone picks, but we are towards the end. Don't expect anything good, Deshields will be gone IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course you shouldn't expect anyone good. If they were good their team would protect them.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I fully expect us to pick up a power arm for the bullpen with our pick.

Interesting. There are some good ones available from what I have read. Again, will the good ones be taken?

Perhaps we can draft 3-4 guys via Rule 5! Imagine the savings!

Of course you shouldn't expect anyone good. If they were good their team would protect them.

Or if they are overloaded with young players because they have been awful for a long while and did not tend their garden properly, a few good youths may fall to exposure. The Astros for instance. No room at the inn.

Or if they are overloaded with young players because they have been awful for a long while and did not tend their garden properly, a few good youths may fall to exposure. The Astros for instance. No room at the inn.

They might lose an all glove no bat Catcher with the first selection.

That is what goes #1 in this draft, backup Catchers.

Sandy Leon - C - Nationals

MASN Sports' Roch Kubatko hears that the Orioles have Nationals catcher Sandy Leon on their radar.

The Orioles have liked Leon in the past and have talked about a potential trade with the Nationals before, so they could revisit the possibility as they search for a backup catcher. The 25-year-old isn't much of a hitter, but he has a strong arm behind the plate. The Nationals already have Wilson Ramos and Jose Lobaton in-house, so he could be expendable.

Related: Orioles

The Orioles MO.

Yeah, I keep pointing out the facts and we keep getting posts that assumes that De Aza won't or can't hit LHP's. He may not but he has in the past.

I'm with you on not having to sit De Aza against every lefty. But if they have De Aza and Snider in the corner OF, it'd be nice to have a righty rotate through and let them sit against lefties. You can include Davis in there too. In other words, sit De Aza, Snider, Davis against a third of the lefties.

They might lose an all glove no bat Catcher with the first selection.

That is what goes #1 in this draft, backup Catchers.

The only catcher to go #1 in the Rule 5 draft in the last 15 years is Chris Shelton in 2003 who caught 16 MLB innings the following season and never caught again. Prior to last season, a catcher hadn't even gone in the top 4 of the Rule 5 draft since 1993.

The only catcher to go #1 in the Rule 5 draft in the last 15 years is Chris Shelton in 2003 who caught 16 MLB innings the following season and never caught again. Other than Shelton, dating back to 1997 (the last year Wikipedia has full Rule 5 data) no catcher had even gone in the top 4 in the Rule 5 draft until last season.

I was exaggerating for effect.

I do that sometimes.

Sorry you wasted time researching it.

I still think, in the vast majority of cases, you want a rule V type player you can trade someone unimportant for him and not have to limit your 25 man roster.

I was exaggerating for effect.

I do that sometimes.

Sorry you wasted time researching it.

I still think, in the vast majority of cases, you want a rule V type player you can trade someone unimportant for him and not have to limit your 25 man roster.

Which is why they tend to be the 7th guy in the bullpen. Teams aren't willing to have their lone backup catcher be a guy with no big league experience. Shelton was an exception because he wasn't the lone backup catcher on that team and was more of a generic 25th man.

Archived