Official Winter Meetings Thread

weams

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't we assume that Chen is an ace? He went 16-6 last year with a mid-3 ERA. I would call that ace material in the AL East.

Tillman wasn't too bad either last year.

I would say that these two guys are at least 2's.

Chen was 44th in the majors last year in ERA.

If that's ace level stuff, then we've really lowered the standards.

The Giants did win and they were 69-62 heading into September.

Yep. Anyhow, this may sound silly but bear with me, it's not about winning in one year and man it pains me to say that since I've never even so much as seen a pennant winner in my years as a fan of this team but it's about building a consistent winner year in and year out. That's part of why Earl Weaver was such a successful manager. Pretty much every year from 1969 to 1982, the O's played for the pennant. What we need to do here is build a team not just for next year but for beyond. And developing good prospects, not making stupid signings in FA, etc is the way to do that.

I like Miller but I don't know how I feel about giving a reliever 9 mill a year for four years given how unpredictable relief pitching is. Granted if Britton had completely bombed as closer, I'd probably be singing a different tune. I'm actually pretty optimistic going forward. I don't feel that we're in danger of entering mediocrity like we did following '97 since we're building a system.

I get the risk with 4 years on Miller. I just like how our pen stacked up with his addition and wished they went outside the comfort zone to bring him back. I agree we are not going to enter into mediocrity but there is still work to be done on the system and we remain irrelevant in the Latin American market.

After next year' date=' we lose Wieters, Davis, Norris and Chen. Am I missing anyone? If we don't resign any of those, you would hope our minor leaguers would supplement some of that: Walker, Alvarez, Sisco, Ohlman, Joseph, Bundy, Harvey, etc... We then have another catcher behind the plate, Pearce or Walker at 1B, Schoop at 2B, Hardy at SS and Manny at 3B. The outfield consists of Alvarez, Jones and some combo of DeAza, Lough and Pearce. As we are now, we have a hole at DH.[/quote']

Yes, the hope is always that the minor leaguers can come up and fill voids left by FA. But the honest truth is that has not happened very often in the past (except Wieters and Manny). We have not had many minor leaguers make an impact offensively very often. The hope, and goal of previous years, was that we were building a better minor league system, and while that has happened, we didnt set the bar that high before.

They were willing to spend 90m on Panda and in on Lester till the end.

So what? They're willing to spend. Do you remember when Toronto went out and got Dickey, Buehrle, Reyes that one winter? That did them alot of good. Being willing to spend is nice but it doesn't mean jack about how a team's actually going to do when the games are actually played.

I love people using the Royals they got lucky 1 year. The owner is now cutting more pay roll they gonna finish 4th place in the A.L Central this year.

I get the risk with 4 years on Miller. I just like how our pen stacked up with his addition and wished they went outside the comfort zone to bring him back. I agree we are not going to enter into mediocrity but there is still work to be done on the system and we remain irrelevant in the Latin American market.

Yeah I definitely agree with you there. Need to do more work on the system. One thing I got at in Frobby's MLB page about 100M contract page is I want us to be the kind of team that develops 100M talent. I want us to be the kind of team that gets surplus value out of guys.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>john mayberry jr. agrees to mets deal. major-league deal.</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="

">December 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived