Is this a fair deal for the O's AND Cubs?

ChaosLex

I concur. The only way I take Marquis ridiculous contract is if the Cubs give up Pie, Cedeno, Fontenot and Gallagher with him. And that isn't going to happen. Paytons contract is not out of order. It is a fair contract, maybe slightly high. Marquis has one of baseball's most laughable contracts. Not as bad as Gibbons, but close. No way I take Marquis unless the Cubs let me empty there system with him.

Murton is more of a quality hitter for me ...While Pie is still well (High Risk). Murton has a chance of being very good once he gets given AB's everyday. Heck he's already a .300 hitter. I imagine you could take Fontenot or Cedeno ... Not I'm sure Mcphail will want the pitchers (thus Gallagher & Veal).

Again if your the Cubs ... Why do you create a whole in CF to upgrade 2B. I would like the 4 for 1 mentioned in this thread ... But with wanting to move Payton & some of the other guys...I can live with Marquis.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's what I was told and PEace said he's heard the same. We may want Colvin instead of Veal though.

Do you like the deal BB if it is Cedeno, Murton, Gallagher, and Colvin?

We wouldn't be getting the 2b or SS replacement, but too good of deal to pass up?

Do you like the deal BB if it is Cedeno, Murton, Gallagher, and Colvin?

We wouldn't be getting the 2b or SS replacement, but too good of deal to pass up?

We'd be getting a 2B replacement in Cedeno. We'd still need to find a shortstop though.

I'd like to see us trade for a player like Lillibridge, Wood, Brignac or Andrus.

I would think it would tale a player like Asdurbal Cabrera of Cleveland to get Roberts. The players the Cubs have to offer just don't fill our current needs.

We're also looking at 40 and 25 man roster issues. One thing for sure is we're not eatting big $$$ contracts. Now maybe AM can include Payton to the Cubs and be able to swing some talent in another trade. Tejada was a salary move for a declining player who was not happy. The Bedard trade brought in quality. You don't trade Roberts just to trade him. You have to fill a need in return and not just a stop gap need either.

Would we rather have Asdurbal Cabrera than Peralta? Assume we would want a couple more players than those two.

Why wouldn't we be willing to eat a big contract to get better players or at get someone for cheap (ala Bobby Abreu and the Yanks)? We have to have some extra budgeted money after the Tejada/Bedard deal.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not assaulting anyone's take in this thread. I agree with what you wrote. I'm just trying to be 100% sure this was truly offered by the Cubs, rather than just discussed. No worries.

I'm not actually sure I'd even take that offer. There is a lot of risk in that offer the more I think about it. I'm on the fence.

If you don't take that deal, then you might as well keep Roberts, because a better offering isn't coming. That trade would be a nightmare for the Cubs.

It's my opinion that Roberts will remain an Oriole unless we get a young SS or 2B with a lot of upside in return.

I got to ask one more time (sorry), is there ANY chance that the Os keep BRob and give him something like a 5-year extension? I'm not excited about the Cubs trade and would much rather keep him the cornerstone of the Os --- leader on and off field. So, any chance he's here through July 31?

I urge you to look away from batting average and see the more valuable numbers in the other columns. Being a 300 hitter is virtually meaningless in and of itself. Murton and Pie aren't in the same ballpark. Murton is a borderline starter in the ML at LF/RF if he hits his peak. Pie has the chance to be an All Start in CF if he hits his peak.

Seriously? I think you vastly underrate him. He has a chance to be an .850 OPS guy for several years.

Thank you

Would you make the trade as is? I'm just not sure how I feel about it. That is a lot of players, but I don't see a "mostly sure" thing in the bunch.

Probably not....If they took Payton ans added Colvin instead of Veal I would. I'd first offer Roberts a 5 year $40 million deal.

Probably not....If they took Payton ans added Colvin instead of Veal I would. I'd first offer Roberts a 5 year $40 million deal.

So you buy 3 years of FA and having him for 8 mill.

Saving a money by only giving him 8 mil a year, but 3 years taking him to 35 to 36 years old. Don't like that last year, 4 years $34.

That would be a tough pill to swallow. You are asking them to upgrade veal to colvin. Also to take payton, who is a negative if you consider his contract.

That is a big step, taking two steps more when you are already offering 4 players from the 3 previously discussed. Just trying to play the cubs side.

To extend Roberts your going to have to convince him that this team has a plan o win in the future. If he stays.

To extend Roberts your going to have to convince him that this team has a plan o win in the future. If he stays.

Peace, I think you said you'd do the Gallagher, Murton, Cedeno, Veal for Roberts deal, correct?

I know I'd be all over that...extension for Roberts or not.

Archived