Is this a fair deal for the O's AND Cubs?

ChaosLex

Mods, if you don't feel like this deserves a separate thread, please, feel free to merge with one of the other Roberts-Cubs threads.

Baltimore gets Ronny Cedeno, Sean Gallagher, Jason Marquis, Matt Murton and Donnie Veal

Chicago gets Jay Payton and Brian Roberts

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, sorry I don't because the rumored offer on the table for Brian is Murton, Gallagher, Cedeno, and Veal 4-1. Marquis has negative value because of his contract, and while Payton doesn't have MUCH value because of his, he still does. For us to take back Marquis, Pie has to be attached. Unless we are swapping Marquis for Gibbons and Mora of course :)

Mods, if you don't feel like this deserves a separate thread, please, feel free to merge with one of the other Roberts-Cubs threads.

Baltimore gets Ronny Cedeno, Sean Gallagher, Jason Marquis, Matt Murton and Donnie Veal

I think we could get Cedeno, Murton, Veal and Gallagher for BRob. So Payton becomes a swap for Marquis. I don't think I would make that trade straight up, but if that is what it takes to get the big deal done, I would probably do it.

No, sorry I don't because the rumored offer on the table for Brian is Murton, Gallagher, Cedeno, and Veal 4-1. Marquis has negative value because of his contract, and while Payton doesn't have MUCH value because of his, he still does. For us to take back Marquis, Pie has to be attached. Unless we are swapping Marquis for Gibbons and Mora of course :)

I don't see how Payton has more value than Marquis. Payton is an aging, light-hitting, mediocre fielding, whining malcontent of a corner outfielder with $4.5 million on his contract. I don't think Payton should be on any 25 man roster at all, let alone for millions of dollars.

I think we could get Cedeno, Murton, Veal and Gallagher for BRob. So Payton becomes a swap for Marquis. I don't think I would make that trade straight up, but if that is what it takes to get the big deal done, I would probably do it.

I thought the deal was a 4-1 too, but then someone else (unfortunately, I don't remember who) said we'd only be able to get that package IF we took on Marquis.

It's certainly an interesting topic for debate though. One poster already thinks we're screwing the Cubs, while another thinks we're the ones getting screwed. :D

I don't see how Payton has more value than Marquis. Payton is an aging, light-hitting, mediocre fielding, whining malcontent of a corner outfielder with $4.5 million on his contract. I don't think Payton should be on any 25 man roster at all, let alone for millions of dollars.

I've read that Marquis' attitude isn't the best either. Apparently he had real problems with LaRussa and Duncan in St. Louis. Sorry, I can't cite a source, but I'm pretty sure that it was an OH thread I read that in.

make that deal and you are losing 2 - 40 man roster spots too...

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=chc

I've read that Marquis' attitude isn't the best either. Apparently he had real problems with LaRussa and Duncan in St. Louis. Sorry, I can't cite a source, but I'm pretty sure that it was an OH thread I read that in.

Well MacPhail has basically said that he is going to acquire an innings eater. Therefore, I would think he would see Marquis as a positive piece in a deal, albeit a minor one.

I, for one, would do this. McPhail made it clear today that they are looking for a veteran innings eater to anchor the rotation. I can't imagine Livan Hernandez signing here, so I think we could do a lot worse than Marquis to fill this role. Again, I am saying this becasue it seems clear that this is in the O's plan, not because I necessarily think they should do this or need to do this.

Contention this year is not really in the plans, so I don't see the harm in having a guy in the roation who can easily pitch somewhere between 190 to 210 innings for us and allow further development for whoever doesn't break camp in the rotation (Olson, Penn, Patton, Albers, whoever...).

Now the thing about this allegedly proposed 4 for 1 is that we don't really know which side offered the deal, or if the other side, whichever side that is, actually likes the deal.

One way or the other I hope we hear some news about what is likely to happen so we can just start to focus on ST.

That would be an atrocious deal for the Cubs. I'm sorry, but that is not close to equal value.

That would be an atrocious deal for the Cubs. I'm sorry, but that is not close to equal value.

I'm just trying to piece together everything we've heard.

First, one of our insiders reported that the Cubs had a deal of Cedeno, Gallagher, Murton, and Veal on the table for Roberts. Then another poster (I don't remember if it was an insider or not) said that we'd get a package like that on one condition, if we took Marquis off the Cubs hands. As for Payton, I could've sworn Sports Guy said that we'd look to deal him (along with Roberts) to Chicago, but don't quote me on that.

As a Cubs fan, I could live with that deal given Payton can play 30-35 games in CF. Does he have the range to be able to do that still with two quick corner outfielders? It would be great to give Pie the day off when facing tough lefties.

Archived