Why did Dan sign Ubaldo?

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gausman needed to work on his slider and they felt a need to control his innings. Most teams appear to work with an innings cap for younger pitchers.

Balfour had nothing to do with Ubaldo. You don't back out of a two year commitment then make a four year commitment for much higher AAV. I do think Burnett was choice #1.

Cruz may have had something to do with Balfour.

Tough to argue but the word was that the Cleveland pitching coach had made some changes that fueled his improvment in 2013, culminating in the great 2nd half. If you want to label that as shortsighted, no problem here.

Incorrect. Jimenez liked working with Callaway because he was a pitching coach who had determined he wouldn't make any changes.

To shine a light on the darkness, Callaway said there would be no big changes in Jimenez's delivery, which at times can resemble one of those elaborate mousetraps from a Tom and Jerry cartoon.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2013/09/with_ubaldo_jimenez_mickey_cal.html

Thankfully, Wallace has taken a different tack and it seems to be working.

In spring training, they worked on speeding up Jimenez's delivery, standing taller and striding directly to the plate. It was a gradual process, something Callaway calls a "stair-step" approach.

Maybe nothing major, just like you wouldn't call the changes that Wallace made major either.

I certainly would call him not taking his hands over head a big change. One he hadn't been willing to consider in in the past.

"With Ubaldo they were working, working and working. Then it was like, 'Let's take your hands off and let Ubaldo be Ubaldo.' You've seen him slowly work into being where he is now. That's a pretty thing to see."

This combined with what you posted as a "gradual process" is nothing like the change he made to simplify his delivery at the end of last season.

I going with "ether binge."

“The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. And I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon. Probably at the next gas station.”

hunter-s-thompson.jpg

On a different thought, the way he publicly handled his "demotion" and exclusion from the ALCS makes me support and cheer for him either way. I find that DD and Buck look for people that have that class.
There you go. Same here. I remember last year, when he was so bad I used to groan whenever he was pitching, with that weird windup. Why did they sign this guy? I remembered back a few years when Os management (not DD of course) refused to sign Mussina for more than 2 years, so Moose went off to the Yankees. Then they sign this guy, Ubaldo Jimenez for 4 years. And he's terrible. Finally Buck moved him to the pen, presumably for mop up duty. Many times in the past, starting pitchers demoted to mop up duty would squawk, complain, and sulk. But not Ubaldo. Instead of complaining, he was quoted in the Sun after his first relief appearance - he discussed how pitching in relief was different from starting and how he wanted to do his job from the pen. In between appearances, he would work out in the pen, changing his mechanics under the guidance of Wallace and Chiti. I remember groaning again when he made that one relief appearance with the Os far ahead. Between Ubaldo walking in a run and Tommy Hunter giving up a 2 run single, Zach had to come in and save the game. So when I read that Ubaldo would be getting the spot start (instead of McFarland or someone else), I was rather taken back. It was the night where the Os could clinch the division. The rest (however you see it) is history. I was so happy that the Os won the division. And I was so glad that Ubaldo had begun to redeem himself. Ubaldo continued his improvement during the rest of the season. I tend to root for guys who are down and who, without complaint, strive to right themselves, so he got me on his side.I read somewhere that talent is 5 percent inspiration and 95 percent perspiration. Ubaldo should do better this coming season.

Reminds me of the Kyle Boller syndrome - oh sure he sucks as an NFL QB and got Billick fired but he was a nice guy! So what?? Who cares!
From a 12 year Ravens season ticket holder: Boller never got demoted to backup (QB equivilent to being demoted to mop up). He was the starter throughout his career with the Ravens. He only became a backup after leaving the Ravens. As far as Billick, he got fired because he had absolutely no clue on how to run an offense. Ravens management had to eat two years of his salary because (unlike NFL players) Billick's salary was guaranteed. Enough of football, though I love the game.

From a 12 year Ravens season ticket holder: Boller never got demoted to backup (QB equivilent to being demoted to mop up). He was the starter throughout his career with the Ravens. He only became a backup after leaving the Ravens. As far as Billick, he got fired because he had absolutely no clue on how to run an offense. Ravens management had to eat two years of his salary because (unlike NFL players) Billick's salary was guaranteed. Enough of football, though I love the game.

He backed up Steve McNair in 2006 and 07 before Steve got injured. RIP Mc9.

Archived