Why did Dan sign Ubaldo?

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ubaldo will have a good year this year.

He wasn't that bad last year, allowed the O's to ease Gausman into the rotation and keep his innings down.

For the months of May/Jun when the staff was really struggling he posted a 3.42 ERA with a .660 OPS against. Then he got injured and lost his rotation spot

He will be a valuable nugget this year.

I am agreeing with you alot lately. What's up with that? :D

We had a need at the time. Anyhow, I agree with those who say that Ubaldo handled his demotion quite well. I followed him a little in Colorado. He's a good dude. I was glad to see that he ended up being the pitcher of record the night we clinched. I think he'll be better this year.

We had a need at the time. Anyhow, I agree with those who say that Ubaldo handled his demotion quite well. I followed him a little in Colorado. He's a good dude. I was glad to see that he ended up being the pitcher of record the night we clinched. I think he'll be better this year.

I agree with this 100%.

On a different thought, the way he publicly handled his "demotion" and exclusion from the ALCS makes me support and cheer for him either way. I find that DD and Buck look for people that have that class.

Don't think that I am just singling you out for this view as I have curiously seen this same sentiment expressed her multiple time by others and find if a bit absurd quite frankly. I mean cmon why shouldn't he have a great attitude when he is sopidedly the second highest paid player on team while clearly hands down the most under performing starter and possibly the worst pitcher on the team! I wish I could get the same sentiment if I suckec as badly as he has at my job while under performing. Instead most of us would be let go! Reminds me of the Kyle Boller syndrome - oh sure he sucks as an NFL QB and got Billick fired but he was a nice guy! So what?? Who cares!

Don't think that I am just singling you out for this view as I have curiously seen this same sentiment expressed her multiple time by others and find if a bit absurd quite frankly. I mean cmon why shouldn't he have a great attitude when he is sopidedly the second highest paid player on team while clearly hands down the most under performing starter and possibly the worst pitcher on the team! I wish I could get the same sentiment if I suckec as badly as he has at my job while under performing. Instead most of us would be let go! Reminds me of the Kyle Boller syndrome - oh sure he sucks as an NFL QB and got Billick fired but he was a nice guy! So what?? Who cares!

I am normally pretty good at translating oldfan to english but what is sopidedly?

I wish I could get the same sentiment if I suckec as badly as he has at my job while under performing. Instead most of us would be let go!

I think there may be some subtle differences between sucking at a normal job, which usually entails lack of effort or responsibility or maybe lack of qualifications, and being a bit below average as a major league pitcher. You're saying that being, for one year, the 130th best starting pitcher on earth instead of the 30th is "sucking". It would be equally valid to say he's slightly less excellent than expected.

So what? I'd venture to say most here have some emotional tie to the team, and the team is (unfortunately) composed of people. Stories about players handling adversity with class, flipping over cars, birthing babies, and other "feel-good" tales help us connect with these guys. I for one prefer to be able to root for the name on the back and not ONLY the name on the front. We all understand that sometimes really good guys can be awful ballplayers (and vice-versa), but that still counts for something when I decide where to invest my fandom and my entertainment dollars.

Couple things:

1) Ubaldo did not fill a "need" as mentioned a couple of times (just like trading for Norris and Feldman at the 2013 break when Arrietta, Britton and Gausman could have played out the string and done much better). Gausman was fine in 2H2013 and did quite well in ST this year (after the trade) and would have been in the OD rotation of many other GMs. DD decided to push Gausman into the depth/development/delay service time roles and added Ubaldo.

2) Ubaldo pitched quite well in 2H2013.

3) The Ubaldo signing really, really energized the fan base in a major way. As an analytical guy, the signing was not a direction I would have gone it, but analytical folks like myself can really miss opportunities and the positive (at least short term) impact of a signing like Ubaldo. Again, I believe my preference at the time was to not sign Ubaldo and to give the ball to Gausman and not give up the draft pick, but the fan base (and the players) was really jazzed up about the trade and that is something to appreciate even if it is not a move one would do IMO.

4) In some ways, and it was commented at the time, the Ubaldo signing also smelled like a bit of Plan B or C after DD's effort to sign Balfour blew up and as other principal targets came off the board.

The good news is the farm system appears to have maintained a position in the middle third of teams even with the forfeited draft pick and the 2015 Os have a chance to improve on the 2014 and the lack of contribution from Ubaldo (give the ball to Gausman like we did in the second half).

Also, and not to be overlooked, Ubaldo appears to be a true professional working through his issues and trying to contribute to the team. Hopefully, better results in 2015.

Couple things:

1) Ubaldo did not fill a "need" as mentioned a couple of times (just like trading for Norris and Feldman at the 2013 break when Arrietta, Britton and Gausman could have played out the string and done much better). Gausman was fine in 2H2013 and did quite well in ST this year (after the trade) and would have been in the OD rotation of many other GMs. DD decided to push Gausman into the depth/development/delay service time roles and added Ubaldo.

2) Ubaldo pitched quite well in 2H2013.

3) The Ubaldo signing really, really energized the fan base in a major way. As an analytical guy, the signing was not a direction I would have gone it, but analytical folks like myself can really miss opportunities and the positive (at least short term) impact of a signing like Ubaldo. Again, I believe my preference at the time was to not sign Ubaldo and to give the ball to Gausman and not give up the draft pick, but the fan base (and the players) was really jazzed up about the trade and that is something to appreciate even if it is not a move one would do IMO.

4) In some ways, and it was commented at the time, the Ubaldo signing also smelled like a bit of Plan B or C after DD's effort to sign Balfour blew up and as other principal targets came off the board.

The good news is the farm system appears to have maintained a position in the middle third of teams even with the forfeited draft pick and the 2015 Os have a chance to improve on the 2014 and the lack of contribution from Ubaldo (give the ball to Gausman like we did in the second half).

Also, and not to be overlooked, Ubaldo appears to be a true professional working through his issues and trying to contribute to the team. Hopefully, better results in 2015.

Gausman needed to work on his slider and they felt a need to control his innings. Most teams appear to work with an innings cap for younger pitchers.

Balfour had nothing to do with Ubaldo. You don't back out of a two year commitment then make a four year commitment for much higher AAV. I do think Burnett was choice #1.

Archived