Trading Joseph

Bahama O's Fan

Before I start, let me state this is dependent on several factors:

1. Is Wieters healthy enough by opening day?

2. Will DD make a long term commitment to Wieters beyond 2015?

The reason I posted this thread is to consider trading Caleb Joseph if the answer is yes to the previous two questions. I like Joseph, and would actually be happy with him getting some significant playing time. But I do believe in selling high. I believe we could get more for Joseph, perhaps packaged with someone else (maybe Matusz), than at any other time. He threw out runners at an unheard of rate and hit better than most people expected.

Before I start' date=' let me state this is dependent on several factors:

1. Is Wieters healthy enough by opening day?

2. Will DD make a long term commitment to Wieters beyond 2015?

The reason I posted this thread is to consider trading Caleb Joseph if the answer is yes to the previous two questions. I like Joseph, and would actually be happy with him getting some significant playing time. But I do believe in selling high. I believe we could get more for Joseph, perhaps packaged with someone else (maybe Matusz), than at any other time. He threw out runners at an unheard of rate and hit better than most people expected.[/quote']

I'm sorry. Please refresh my memory - didn't Joseph finish the year 0-33 at the plate? If so and we can not do any better than him - we are in trouble

I'm sorry. Please refresh my memory - didn't Joseph finish the year 0-33 at the plate? If so and we can not do any better than him - we are in trouble

He also finished #2 in MLB in CS%. I am happy with him has our backup. If we have an extra bat to take Cruz's spot I would not mind having him as our starting C. His lack of offense becomes a problem when you have multiple other holes.

He also finished #2 in MLB in CS%. I am happy with him has our backup. If we have an extra bat to take Cruz's spot I would not mind having him as our starting C. His lack of offense becomes a problem when you have multiple other holes.

We have a hole at 2 base. Now you want another hole at catcher? No thanks

Josh Donaldson had an 0-40 run during the season. Players have good runs and bad runs. Joseph isn't much of a hitter, but he should hit enough to be a backup catcher. I think he can put up a .650-.700 OPS in 2015, which will be good enough.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to trade Joseph

- You have no idea if Wieters will be healthy to start the season

- Wieters walks at the end of the year

- He's cheap and under team control ... but a backup is a backup. Even if you do try and trade him, the return would be negligible. What would be the point of creating a hole when you're getting next to nothing in return?

Archived