Encina: O's Pads still talking Venable and Smith.

33rdst

I am no expert, but I would think a lot more singles turn into doubles in Camden Yards in LF rather than RF - given the amount of territory in LF v. RF and the short wall. I think Smith can handle RF fine at Camden Yards - now outside of Camden Yards - not sure.

Sounds like you know more about Smith's arm then I do. His stats are not impressive in rightfield but I have not watched the guy play. Nick managed to get quite a few assists in rightfield for the O's.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just curious Wilcard, have you seen Smith play RF. I must say, I don't know what kind of arm he has. San Diego has a big outfield and Smith started 37 games in RF last year. A strong arm is not as important in RF in Camden Yards because of the dimensions. Still, an average arm is needed.

No haven't watched him play much and certain can't say anything about him from the times I have seen him. Just looking at the stats for his arm and am not impressed.

I agree on the OBP but I don't see him having the arm for rightfield unless you can tell me differently.

Can you speak to the impact of playing half his games in a RF like Camden Yards that is significantly different than most RF scenarios? I mean if his home ball park was Fenway I get it, but Smith will be patrolling a much smaller area half the time.

I agree on the OBP but I don't see him having the arm for rightfield unless you can tell me differently.

Smith has spent his entire career doing an adequate job in huge home outfields ; Colorado, Oakland, and San Diego. Between De Aza, Pearce, and Smith, we should have plenty of coverage for LF, RF, and DH. If Lough is still here, he can be a late inning replacement in RF. As long as Smith isn't as slow as Markakis, he should be adequate out there.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v36297215/phisd-smith-grabs-fly-ball-nabs-byrd-at-second/?c_id=mlb

I wouldn't say it's strong but it might be enough to get the job done. He doesn't look very fast either. Of course, we are used to that. Smith would probably be a down grade from Markakis defensively. Optimally, I'd say he'd be a good fit at LH DH.

Judging from this I would say that he would be fine in Camden Yards in RF. But even so, play Pearce in RF and let Smith be the LH DH. I think Pearce will be an everyday player anyway. Sign Young to platoon with Smith at DH.

O's potential free agents after 2015:

1. Wieters

2. Davis

3. De Aza

4. Pearce

5. Chen

6. Norris

7. Hunter

8. O'Day

9. Webb

That's a lot of team to re-sign or replace. I'd rather not add to it unless necessary.

What's the cutoff at the allstar break for how far out we are turns us into sellers?

What stats? Markakis had 7 assists and 1 DP over a full season in 2013. Smith has 6 assists and 2 DP's over a full season of games in RF during his career. You can't always tell everything from stats. That being said, it looks like Markakis definitely has a stronger arm but Smith's might be playable in RF. I bet is arm is comparable to David Lough's (whose arm is overrated by most one here). Average to a little below.

Couldn't disagree more regarding Lough's arm. That's a plus arm, but there isn't a way to test it validly so whatever.

Just curious Wilcard, have you seen Smith play RF. I must say, I don't know what kind of arm he has. San Diego has a big outfield and Smith started 37 games in RF last year. A strong arm is not as important in RF in Camden Yards because of the dimensions. Still, an average arm is needed.
According to UZR Smith has a career -7.4 UZR/150 in RF, and a +5.4 in LF.

Judging from this I would say that he would be fine in Camden Yards in RF. But even so, play Pearce in RF and let Smith be the LH DH. I think Pearce will be an everyday player anyway. Sign Young to platoon with Smith at DH.

I completely agree with this, though if the Padres insist on adding Venable to the potential trade I'd take him.

That's four possible QO and picks.

Combine that with our 1st and 2nd rd picks and Competitive balance picks that's 7 picks in the top 100 or so. Hope it's a deep draft. The pitchers we are set to lose really don't bother me too much. It's the hitters. It's the whole grow the arms and buy the bats. We'd be looking at in 2016

Tillman

Gonzo

Ubaldo

Gausman

Bundy or AAA crop

Britton,Brach,Mac, AAA crop

I'd rather just get a 1 year stop gap option OF type, so that way DD has as much flexibility as possible. I just don't see how a guy like Venable is an upgrade over what we already have or what we can just sign cheap on the FA market.

Get Ichiro and Delmon Young and then see where you're at in July. Maybe someone in house gets a look. Then you can always pick up a OF/DH type bat around the trade deadline. No need to trade anything of value or take a risk on signing. Except for Rasmus on a 2 year deal.

Archived