Encina: O's Pads still talking Venable and Smith.

33rdst

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Venable would be another one-year rental. With so many guys becoming free agents after 2015, I'd rather add someone who isn't going to have to be replaced.

I'm really ok with going with the hot hand. If he's, great sign him at the all star break for three years.

I've got to say I'm not seeing the appeal of Venable - another lefty outfielder with some speed and good defense. Seems to me to be too similar to De Aza and Lough, and I'm not sure why we need another guy that fits that profile. I'd like to see Lough actually get a legitimate shot this year before we trade for another speedy lefty OF. Additionally, Venable had a poor year last year (hitting .224 with just a .288 OBP in over 400 ABs.) Career OBP not that much better quite frankly at .316. He's also 32.

I'm going to pass on Venable here. Smith I can at least get the appeal because he has a little more pop and can get on base.

Valid point. On the other hand, a one year RF, gives the O's another year to determine if Alvarez is the answer in 2016.

O's potential free agents after 2015:

1. Wieters

2. Davis

3. De Aza

4. Pearce

5. Chen

6. Norris

7. Hunter

8. O'Day

9. Webb

That's a lot of team to re-sign or replace. I'd rather not add to it unless necessary.

A trade with the Padres is not a fit.

1) The Padres do not need Matusz.

2) Smith has a leftfield arm. He is not a good fit for rightfield unless you want to see a lot of runners chance singles into doubles.

3) Venable has a poor OBP. The O's need to get better in OBP not worse.

I hope the Padres trade rumor is a buff to get Aoki to come down in price.

2) Smith has a leftfield arm. He is not a good fit for rightfield unless you want to see a lot of runners chance singles into doubles.

1. We have other players than Matusz

2. He can DH or play LF.

3. That's clearly not the O's top priority.

Devil's advocate for Venable- He hit 22 homers in 2013. He also OPS'd .735 in the second half last year after a putrid 1st half.

Fair points for sure, and seemingly like a lot of the people we're looking at, he's a bit of a bounceback candidate (certainly a guy like Quentin is, too). The 22 homers last year is also to me a bit of an outlier (didn't hit north of 13 any other year, though in fairness he had the most PAs of his career in 2013).

I guess my biggest hesitation is the belief that we don't really need another player in the De Aza/Lough mold - I'd much rather focus on finding another righthanded bat with some power and some on base ability. Ultimately, if the price isn't too great, I'm not opposed to adding him, just think we have bigger needs (like who is going to leadoff).

I am no expert, but I would think a lot more singles turn into doubles in Camden Yards in LF rather than RF - given the amount of territory in LF v. RF and the short wall. I think Smith can handle RF fine at Camden Yards - now outside of Camden Yards - not sure.

1. We have other players than Matusz

2. He can DH or play LF.

3. That's clearly not the O's top priority.

De Aza and Smith are similar players. Both are leftfielder. They can play left field at the same time. DH? Well maybe but it does not solve the problem of needing a rightfielder.

It is pretty clear that improving OBP is a priority of the O's. DD keeps saying that they have to replace Markakis OBP.

Paralysis by Analysis. They have a surplus of outfielders and the Orioles are looking for outfielders. The two teams have obviously talked about different scenarios. You are ignoring the obvious because it doesn't fit your own idea of what should be done.

Smith and Venable do not fit the O's need of a rightfielder that can replace Markakis OBP. Plain and simple.

De Aza and Smith are similar players. Both are leftfielder. They can play left field at the same time. DH? Well maybe but it does not solve the problem of needing a rightfielder.

It is pretty clear that improving OBP is a priority of the O's. DD keeps saying that they have to replace Markakis OBP.

Smith has 300 career walks in 2,479 ABs. His career OBP is .347 and last year it as .367. He does upgrade our OBP.

Archived