Encina: O's Pads still talking Venable and Smith.

33rdst

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Been in love with Aoki from the get go huh WC?:D In the end the O's may get him. DD has saved some cash on Delmon. If he's satisfied with one of Lavarnway et al for back up catcher, he may be able to afford Aoki on a two year deal. We'll see.

Aoki is best fit for the O's needs since Nick is gone. I wasn't in on Aoki before that.

They can ask for anything they want. They can ask for Chris Tillman, Manny Machado, Adam Jones, Buck Showalter, a year's supply of crab cakes, and $2.5 million dollars in Kennedy half dollars for Seth Smith.

As long as they can grasp the fact that they aren't going to get completely silly, unrealistic value from us for their excess part-time OFs, I see no reason to stop discussing the matter altogether. I don't fault them at all for trying to open the conversation with Bundy and Gausman- lord knows, I probably would too- but I'm sure that their GM knows it isn't happening.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but does anyone else find it odd/troubling that the Orioles are choosing spare parts that the Padres want no part of? I feel like it should be the other way around.

It makes sense when you look at the rosters in comparison to each other. The Padres had plenty of good role players but needed to add everyday, impact guys; the Orioles, OTOH, already have a number of strong everyday guys in Jones, Hardy, Manny, Davis, Wieters, etc., and only really need to add complimentary parts to be ready for 2015.

The Padres are fully aware that if the Orioles were willing to give up Bundy and/or Gausman in a stupid trade(s), then Kemp and/or Upton would be Orioles right now, not Padres. Suffice it to say that every team in MLB is interested in Bundy and Gausman. Now that that is settled, lets move on and discuss reality. San Diego has to move at least one outfielder, possibly two, and they have taken on more salary than really makes sense for them. Moving Smith's $13 million over the next 2 years off the books is huge for them. A 15-20 prospect is plenty. Plenty.

On paper, Smith would be a pretty massive upgrade from Nick - at least per Baseball Reference. Strange to see the Padres deal for Kemp, Upton and Myers when they have nearly a 4 WAR guy under team control. It will be interesting to see how this plays out as our GM waits to see who is the best value from among the most available free agents and team controlled guys. Better not overplay those cards, Colby Rasmus!

On paper, Smith would be a pretty massive upgrade from Nick - at least per Baseball Reference. Strange to see the Padres deal for Kemp, Upton and Myers when they have nearly a 4 WAR guy under team control. It will be interesting to see how this plays out as our GM waits to see who is the best value from among the most available free agents and team controlled guys. Better not overplay those cards, Colby Rasmus!

Smith's 2014 was an outlier. He has never been close to 3.9 WAR before, and 2009 & 2012 were the only 2 other season in which he has reached 1.0 WAR. He is not a 4 WAR player. Hence, San Diego's moves.

Smith's 2014 was an outlier. He has never been close to 3.9 WAR before, and 2009 & 2012 were the only 2 other season in which he has reached 1.0 WAR. He is not a 4 WAR player. Hence, San Diego's moves.

Sounds like Steve Pearce.

No doubt, but the QO doesn't do you any good if no one signs the player.

Well if teams aren't lining up to sign wieters and Davis at ridiculous contracts because of the QO, or just that they don't believe they're worth it, then I would gladly have them back in Baltimore on not-quite-as-ridiculous long term contracts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived