Seth Smith is now off the market

Greg

Or Chris Davis and Manny could just hit them. Or Matt.

3 huge ? with them.

Will Davis just get back to 2012 forum?

Will Manny play 150 games?

Will Matt play 130 games?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with this. I listen to Rob and Vinny and they always seem to look for a reason to piss off Joe Flacco fans. Then the very next week, they look for reasons to piss off Joe Flacco haters. I do agree they try to get people riled up.

But what about the other sources? MLB Network tends to have some of the best analyses out there with a very fair hand at breaking down each team's strengths and weaknesses.

They also seem to feel that we should be making some kind of move to shore up the team for 2015.

Nothing expensive. Nothing flashy. But something better than NOTHING.

MSK

Last year they had us written off. Until we signed Ubaldo.

Seattle is building for a championship run.

That's how you do it.

Sign a big name (R. Cano) - build around him.

Make a common sense signing (N. Cruz) for additional protection and power.

Make sure you retain your ace pitcher (which we still don't have).

Make good trades for solid players (something that hasn't happened - ironically - since MacPhail).

2015 is going to be an ass-whoopin' for our boys. The Orioles are going to be outclassed, hard.

MSK

Lol. Mariners will be lucky to finish third and maybe even fourth. But go root for them....please!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm with you MSK.

This guy Seth Smith was the best target left of the names I have seen tossed around. To see him go for a mid to low level prospect and us standing on the sidelines twiddling our thumbs is maddening. I would like to see us just once go after a player aggressively and land that player rather than waiting for everything to fall into our laps.

Landing Cruz and him having that kind of year last year was a stroke of luck and I would not expect lightning to strike twice.

From those defending the do nothing approach, I would like to see what your plan is for next RF next season (please don't say David Lough) ? I don't see how signing Aoki (no power) or Rasmus (high risk of sucking) for 7 or 8 mil a year is a better option than giving up a mid level prospect for a guy who is likely to give us an .800 OPS in 400 plus at bats.

Seth Smith is no better than Aoki or Rasmus...I don't care what the numbers side. He's on the wrong side of 30 and had plenty of opportunities to shine (playing half his games in Colorado for God's sake) and didn't. I would have been upset if the Orioles gave up anything of note for him.

Yes it's maddening that they let two OFs walk without an apparent contingency plan, but at this point trading for a Seth Smith type player would just be a panic move. Flip a coin and roll the dice with Rasmus or Aoki. That's our only play.

Seth Smith is no better than Aoki or Rasmus...I don't care what the numbers side. He's on the wrong side of 30 and had plenty of opportunities to shine (playing half his games in Colorado for God's sake) and didn't. I would have been upset if the Orioles gave up anything of note for him.

Yes it's maddening that they let two OFs walk without an apparent contingency plan, but at this point trading for a Seth Smith type player would just be a panic move. Flip a coin and roll the dice with Rasmus or Aoki. That's our only play.

That should have been "say".

I'm with you MSK.

This guy Seth Smith was the best target left of the names I have seen tossed around. To see him go for a mid to low level prospect and us standing on the sidelines twiddling our thumbs is maddening. I would like to see us just once go after a player aggressively and land that player rather than waiting for everything to fall into our laps.

Landing Cruz and him having that kind of year last year was a stroke of luck and I would not expect lighting to strike twice.

From those defending the do nothing approach, I would like to see what your plan is for next RF next season (please don't say David Lough) ? I don't see how signing Aoki (no power) or Rasmus (high risk of sucking) for 7 or 8 mil a year is a better option than giving up a mid level prospect for a guy who is likely to give us an .800 OPS in 400 plus at bats.

Steve Pearce. Dariel Alvarez. Will Venable. Or anyone. And David Lough might be fine in left field without a concussion.

So we have happened to get lucky the last three years, when Duquette has been GM.

Just coincidence, I guess.

Let's roll those dice again.

I don't see that any team in the AL East has made up 12 games on us. Closed the gap? Yeah, probably. But enough to make up the difference? Not yet. Talk to me if Scherzer lands in the AL East.

National Treasure - Book Of Secrets:

Diane Kruger: When you HAPPEN to be right you are just lucky.

Nicolas Cage: But I get lucky a lot!

;)

Archived