Big Ben, George Brett's homer and the mystery of the two inning game that never was.

Moose Milligan

A friend of mine that I work with loves to talk baseball with me and we were going back and forth a few months ago about something he swears that he saw happen.

He swears adamantly that he was at a game in Memorial Stadium where Ben McDonald got the start against the Royals and George Brett hit an absolute BOMB. Thing is, the game got called after two innings due to rain.

He's absolutely positive this happened. I checked game logs on baseball reference back when we had the first debate about this (during the playoff series) and couldn't find any evidence to support it.

I was teasing him today about it and it went back and forth, good naturedly. I tried to look again to see if it happened but can't find anything on it.

So on this boring, Tuesday night with nothing going on in free agency and player acquisition, I ask you, the OH faithful...can you find evidence of this game?

Looks like it happened.

George Brett holds the Royals' franchise record with 317 home runs. I watched on TV as he hit another one in the top of the first off of Ben McDonald in Baltimore on August 5th, 1990. The game was halted in the middle of the first, which is why his record isn't 318 home runs.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=5026

o

George Brett is also the only player ever to hit 3 home runs in a postseason game in which his team lost (6-5 Yankees, Game Three of the 1978 A.L.C.S.) He is also the only player ever to hit 3 home runs in one postseason game off of the same pitcher (he hit all 3 round-trippers off of Catfish Hunter that afternoon.)

He's also the only player ever to win a batting title in 3 different decades (1976, 1980, and 1990.)

I was there, and I believe it was Ben McDonald's first ever start for the Orioles. The pitch was up and in, and Brett got out in front of it and tomahawked it high and deep into the RF bleachers. The year before I was also at Ben's first game as an Oriole when he came in to relieve some rookie chump named Curt Schilling and struck out Joe Carter on a nasty curveball with the bases loaded.

I saw Ben McDonald give up back to back to back homers vs the Tigers and he stayed in the game to get the win.How about this one? Os vs the Tribe. Kenny Lofton tagged up and scored from 2nd base on a fly ball hit by Albert Belle. Does anyone remember those Os moments?

When's the season start. Only January and I'm already anxious.

I got tix to Tigers vs Os in Sarasota on Marcj 4th. My first visit to Sarasota. Any cool sights that I should see?

Thanks for your help.

I hardly ever post, but I was at this game with my family. It was to be my four year old son's first ever game. I remembered George Brett's homer, but not that Ben McDonald was the starter. The rain was a deluge.

Archived