• Let him go but only for top prospects/players
    • Force him to continue to be our GM
    • Let him go for nothing
    • Make him our scout of North Korea
    • Promote him to Supreme CEO.
    • Keep him but remove all his duties
    • Burn him in effigy
    • Get the state department to revoke his passport
    • Fire him as soon as the Blue Jays hire a new GM.

Anything is possible but I don't see #2 as happening. Angelos' big thing is that he has a GM under contract for 4 years. Promoting him with a raise diminishes the importance of that first contract and still is kind of a win for the Blue Jays in forcing the O's to do that.

And in this way the bjs will have affected our team with zero consequence.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let Dan walk for the best TOR prospects we can get. Make Buck the GM and hire Gardenhire as the manager.

this caused me to spit out my orange juice..Having Buck as a GM but NOT the manager is just beyond stupid.Ill keep it clean but for the love of all that is holy dont say anything that stupid again please

There is no situation. And Angelos does not want prospects.

Heres the real quote and it is from the Boston Globe, not the traderumors. And it is incorrect as well.

One thing to remember about the possibility of Duquette leaving Baltimore for Toronto is compensation. The Blue Jays can’t extract a major league player, that’s only allowed for a manager (example: Mike Aviles for Farrell). But you can bet Orioles owner Peter Angelos would seek a very good prospect or two in return.

He's just talking like you and I are there. And he forgot to fact check. That said, there is no previous comp for trading a GM. Because you really can't promote them. It's all just a matter of title when you are in charge of Baseball Operations.

What situation? I have been reading for months on here there is no situation.

Btw, MLB trade rumors is reporting Angelos may ask for prospects for DD:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com

What a joke of an offseason. I can't believe there are numerous pages about Cody Rasmus, depressing.

Carfado did have a nice piece about our prospect though.

Pat Connaughton, RHP, Orioles — The 6-foot-6-inch, 215-pound super athlete from Arlington, who attended St. John’s Prep, is finishing a terrific basketball career at Notre Dame, averaging 14 points and eight rebounds per game. But it appears his future will be in baseball, which would make the Orioles happy. Connaughton, a fourth-round pick in last year’s draft, impressed the Orioles with his stuff. Director of pitching Rick Peterson says he can’t wait to work with Connaughton this summer. According to the Orioles, Connaughton has one of those fastballs with late life, exploding before the hitter has a chance to adjust. He throws in the mid-90s but appears even faster than that.

My understanding is there is no "trade" involved in the process required to properly effect a move by Duquette from Baltimore to Toronto. The Orioles would agree to allow for the uncontested resignation of Duquette and in exchange would receive compensation from Toronto. That said that process is only one potential approach (though there is precedent for it I believe in the manner in which Chicago/Boston handled Epstein going to the Cubs despite still being under contract with the Red Sox). Since there is not a trade involved, I am fairly certain (would have to check bylaw and CBA again) that the restriction on including a major league player does not apply. But I am very much uncertain as to that last point. My understanding is that the commissioner's office can essentially approve whatever it wants (and I think folks may be reading too much into MLB's involvement in this process as necessarily negative and conspiratory in nature, though I get why that conclusion might be drawn given the dearth of solid info available to the public and the other "issues" at play w/r/t Baltimore and the commish).

My understanding is there is no "trade" involved in the process required to properly effect a move by Duquette from Baltimore to Toronto. The Orioles would agree to allow for the uncontested resignation of Duquette and in exchange would receive compensation from Toronto. That said that process is only one potential approach (though there is precedent for it I believe in the manner in which Chicago/Boston handled Epstein going to the Cubs despite still being under contract with the Red Sox). Since there is not a trade involved, I am fairly certain (would have to check bylaw and CBA again) that the restriction on including a major league player does not apply. But I am very much uncertain as to that last point. My understanding is that the commissioner's office can essentially approve whatever it wants (and I think folks may be reading too much into MLB's involvement in this process as necessarily negative and conspiratory in nature, though I get why that conclusion might be drawn given the dearth of solid info available to the public and the other "issues" at play w/r/t Baltimore and the commish).

If a decision is left in MLB's hand involving Baltimore at this point, I'd advise not playing their game.

this caused me to spit out my orange juice..Having Buck as a GM but NOT the manager is just beyond stupid.Ill keep it clean but for the love of all that is holy dont say anything that stupid again please
I think you underestimate the amount of influence Buck has though out the organization. Buck's strength is in controlling the environment that the players play in. He does this by choosing the right players with the right temperament, and determining their coaching and development. He is already part GM. I'm pretty sure it's Buck's influence on PA that gets decisions made, more than it is DD's. I doubt that there is a major decision made that Buck hasn't signed off on. It's not the x's and o's that makes Buck a great manager, though he is very good at that. I wouldn't be surprised if Buck didn't move on to a GM position somewhere after he wins a WS ring. Buck is a great manager but so is Gardenhire. I wonder if you have ever heard of him?

Just because there is no precedent for a team getting really good prospects as compensation for having a top executive hired away doesn't mean that it always has to be that way. This situation is extraordinary both in the fact that the parties are in the same division and it took place in December instead of the week after the World Series when these deals are typically consummated.

Just because there is no precedent for a team getting really good prospects as compensation for having a top executive hired away doesn't mean that it always has to be that way. This situation is extraordinary both in the fact that the parties are in the same division and it took place in December instead of the week after the World Series when these deals are typically consummated.

I agree. That is why there will be no transaction. I do believe that if the Orioles were to receive compensation it would be too painful for the Jays to follow through on.

I voted to let him go for more than one top prospect. After reading that Roch has heard the situation is "toxic" and listening to Jim Duquette say on MLB Radio that he hopes Peter does the "right thing" and lets Dan go to the job he really wants I don't believe Dan can stay (hope I'm wrong). I do believe that it needs to hurt Toronto. If they think Dan is their man obviously there is value. Minimum of two top prospects for a man of Dan's stature who is expect to be their new CEO and give their entire organization direction and vision. Then I guess the Orioles can call Randy Levine to find out who they should consider to replace Dan. if you can't beat em get em a new job somewhere else.

I voted to let him go for more than one top prospect. After reading that Roch has heard the situation is "toxic" and listening to Jim Duquette say on MLB Radio that he hopes Peter does the "right thing" and lets Dan go to the job he really wants I don't believe Dan can stay (hope I'm wrong). I do believe that it needs to hurt Toronto. If they think Dan is their man obviously there is value. Minimum of two top prospects for a man of Dan's stature who is expect to be their new CEO and give their entire organization direction and vision. Then I guess the Orioles can call Randy Levine to find out who they should consider to replace Dan. if you can't beat em get em a new job somewhere else.

This.

Unless Toronto offers up the same package of prospects that it would take to land Adam Jones, Duquette stays in Baltimore. This is the man who helped turn our franchise around after nearly 20 years of losing. An offer of one or two B or C prospects is insulting and should be laughed at by anyone employed by the Orioles.

Archived