• Let him go but only for top prospects/players
    • Force him to continue to be our GM
    • Let him go for nothing
    • Make him our scout of North Korea
    • Promote him to Supreme CEO.
    • Keep him but remove all his duties
    • Burn him in effigy
    • Get the state department to revoke his passport
    • Fire him as soon as the Blue Jays hire a new GM.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that PGA has stated that the Orioles would listen to offers from the Blue Jays (though they are not technically negotiating), the next step will be for him to put an end date on this window of opportunity. Make it clear -- privately, not through the press -- that he is willing to listen to compensation offers until the end of January (for example), but if the Blue Jays have not made an acceptable offer by then, than the Orioles must slam that window shut so they can move into the season with no further distraction. If nothing has happened by then, DD could come out and say that he's not leaving, because he will know for sure that he's not.

I enjoyed the poll options! I'd get the best compensation package I could, then let him go in a couple of weeks. He's done a really good job, but he's not infallible and we should be able to find a solid replacement now that the team is on decent footing. The culture of the sport is that you don't force a guy to say no to a promotion.

I enjoyed the poll options! I'd get the best compensation package I could, then let him go in a couple of weeks. He's done a really good job, but he's not infallible and we should be able to find a solid replacement now that the team is on decent footing. The culture of the sport is that you don't force a guy to say no to a promotion.

Everyone that Rogers asked said no to them. Rogers has no intention of giving real compensation.

Do you think the Angelos family is concerned about how they are viewed though all of this? They are fighting baseball in court.

If he wants the job, let him go. But restrict, at least temporarily, what scouts and FO people he's brought in can go with him. Losing DD is one thing, losing all his people is another. And demand 2 top prospects from TOR or tell them to go to you know where.

I doubt FO people and scouts are under binding contracts. They are free to walk just as they are subject to being dismissed.

I doubt FO people and scouts are under binding contracts. They are free to walk just as they are subject to being dismissed.

One year contracts. That are binding. At least at the higher, more significant levels. When they are dismissed, their year is paid out.

I missed the "For prospects" option. I put "Force him to keep being the GM." So far I'm actually fine with how Angelos is playing this. He's not going to (and shouldn't) back down unless the Blue Jays blow him away with a deal. DD may prefer going to Toronto, but he's also not going to sabotage his long term career by phoning it in here. He's a professional. The ball is in Toronto's court. If they want DD, they have to pay up. Otherwise, there's no reason for Angelos to let him go, and I don't at all buy the idea that DD is going to start sabotaging the team internally as a form of professional pouting. If he did do that, which he wouldn't, Angelos could just demote him to some position with no power and bring in another GM to run the team, thereby sidelining Duquette's baseball career until his contract is up. Angelos holds the cards here.

None of the above. If this crap doesn't stop, and I were Angelos, I would get a cease and desist order against Toronto. If things really are "toxic" now in the O's front office it is a direct result of Toronto not dropping this idea, which to me is a very winnable law suit. Its starting to piss me off and I am now wondering if Tor isn't purposely doing this to screw up the O's in 2015. There's a reason MLB has their rules in place, they need to enforce them as things seem to be getting pretty messy. The longer they wait to do anything, the more it hurts their MASN case.

DD has a contract. That has to be honored. It's much ado about nothing. IMO

Could you add an option for 'make Toronto remodel that godawful looking stadium because I can't watch a single game from there it's just so dank and depressing looking I mean the turf looks like it was donated in 8'x8' pieces from defunct campgrounds and trailer parks'?

Could you add an option for 'make Toronto remodel that godawful looking stadium because I can't watch a single game from there it's just so dank and depressing looking I mean the turf looks like it was donated in 8'x8' pieces from defunct campgrounds and trailer parks'?

That's what the new job is. Rogers owns that stadium. They are looking for someone who can grass to grow there. That's what this president job is all about.

Letting Dan go is probably the last thing I see Peter doing. He has a winning combination in Dan and Buck and will not give that away or sell it. Here are the options that I see Peter doing in ranked order, with #1 as most likely:

1. Do nothing. Delay and wait for the Toronto's request to interview Dan to blow over. I think Peter trusts Dan integrity to keep doing a good job for the O's.

2. Promote John Angelos to Vice Chairman and Dan to President with a raise in pay. Tell MLB and Toronto that the Blue Jays offer in now a lateral move and to go pound sand. Though Dan would go to meetings on the business side of the O's to learn the business, John would continue to run them. Dan would run the baseball side of the O's as he does now. Dan might hire an assistant VP of Baseball Ops.

3. Let Dan interview. As the 3rd option I never see this happening.

Anything is possible but I don't see #2 as happening. Angelos' big thing is that he has a GM under contract for 4 years. Promoting him with a raise diminishes the importance of that first contract and still is kind of a win for the Blue Jays in forcing the O's to do that.

I agree that #1 is the preferred option for Peter. I don't know what MLB could do to make him go to the second option. But there may be something that I don't foresee. My main point is that I don't see #3 happening.

I guess a couple of the things that could happen that might force the #2 option are: 1) Peter health may be bad enough that he decides to promote John and that makes it a good time to promote Dan or 2) the internal faith in Dan's loyalty becomes enough of an issue that the promotion settles the issue internally.

Archived