• Let him go but only for top prospects/players
    • Force him to continue to be our GM
    • Let him go for nothing
    • Make him our scout of North Korea
    • Promote him to Supreme CEO.
    • Keep him but remove all his duties
    • Burn him in effigy
    • Get the state department to revoke his passport
    • Fire him as soon as the Blue Jays hire a new GM.

This.

Unless Toronto offers up the same package of prospects that it would take to land Adam Jones, Duquette stays in Baltimore. This is the man who helped turn our franchise around after nearly 20 years of losing. An offer of one or two B or C prospects is insulting and should be laughed at by anyone employed by the Orioles.

Agreed. One thing that bugs me about the talk of the situation being "awkward" is what is the point of contracts if the minute Dan ay be interested in another opportunity we're just supposed to let him go?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed. One thing that bugs me about the talk of the situation being "awkward" is what is the point of contracts if the minute Dan ay be interested in another opportunity we're just supposed to let him go?

There is so much to.this situation (if valid). I could think of 20 myself. I think that letting a GM go to a division rival should require compensation, but couldn't a Ravens Offensive Coordinator leave that gig for a head coaching position without permission from the Ravens? This just happened with Kubiak going to.Denver and he could have filled any coaching position.

There is so much to.this situation (if valid). I could think of 20 myself. I think that letting a GM go to a division rival should require compensation, but couldn't a Ravens Offensive Coordinator leave that gig for a head coaching position without permission from the Ravens? This just happened with Kubiak going to.Denver and he could have filled any coaching position.

Untrue. He would have had to leave to become head coach. You can only leave one organization for another in the NFL if it represents a promotion. I believe there are only two levels, assistant coach and head coach, so QB coach to OC is a lateral move. That is actually why the Ravens changed Ozzie's title to GM officially around 2002 despite the fact that he had been acting as a "GM" since 1996, to prevent any potential poaching.

What we're looking at here would not be possible in the NFL sans-compensation or the Ravens' blessing (i.e. if Ozzie left to become the Bengals CEO).

Any idea what his contract status was?

In the NFL, coaches are allowed to go to other teams if the result is a promotion. So when Gary Kubiak goes to the Broncos to be their head coach, it is a promotion from his current position as offensive coordinator.

In the NFL, coaches are allowed to go to other teams if the result is a promotion. So when Gary Kubiak goes to the Broncos to be their head coach, it is a promotion from his current position as offensive coordinator.

First of all to make the analogy more apples to apples, it would be like the Jets owner giving Newsome a call to see if he is interested inbecomming their President, while he is under contract with the Ravens. Then when Bisciotti gets pissed and tells the Jets to get screwed they run to the NFL to get help.

Also, I am pretty sure when Kubiak was hired the Ravens were under the impression that most likely it would be a one year deal and he would get a head coaching job again.

I agree. That is why there will be no transaction. I do believe that if the Orioles were to receive compensation it would be too painful for the Jays to follow through on.

I believe it; so in other words Toronto wants to have their cake and eat it too- perhaps stir up some trouble in the Os organization and play the role of spoiler. :angryfire::cussing::angryfire:

If DD wants to leave the Os and rub elbows with John Gibbons, then by all means- but Toronto needs to put their money/prospects/players where their mouth is - and I simply don't think that will happen anytime soon.

Archived