Dan Duquette Duplicity Thread

weams

Guest rochester
The basics seem pretty easy to figure out. The Jays want Duquette to be their CEO (I believe) or at the very least to talk to him about it. Duquette wants the job. Does anyone have a different take?

I do not believe this is about just talking with him. I strongly believe that there was a conversation between the BJ's and DD - and I also believe if we made that charge that it would be swept under the rug like the Cubs/Madden issue. Even if it was proven then what would the penalty be, a draft pick and some cash?

BJ's are acting as if is the done deal and just want to finish this with negotiation. I know DD is a good GM but if the BJ's held true to the tamper rule then they are hiring him for a position they don't even know if he is qualified for. Really? Being a GM is a bit different than being responsible for a whole lot of assets. Is that how Rogers Communications works? Of course this has been discussed with DD. My opinion is that the BJ's leaked it to the press (and continue to do so) in an attempt to force the O's hand by playing it out in public.

If DD sounds interested isn't it a bit odd that he is interested in a position he hasn't discussed, i.e., responsibilities, money, at least some contract clauses?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rochester
Frobby called me out for thinking that the story begat itself here.

I watched a bit of the idiotic banter about this whole situation, I think that anyone who believes for a moment, no matter what the outcome, that Dan Duquette is not serving the Orioles faithfully and with full effort through all of this is off their rocker. That is not what that man is about.

I am the one who started the compensation at the level of Pompey and Sanchez rumors. There is no reason to believe that should the Orioles back down and allow Dan to be poached while until four more years of control that they would get any anything other than a sore armed reliever back.

I am not very happy that Dan's integrity is being called into question here, or that a fake mole has been planted in the front office to stir up the dissent charges. It is simply not true and rumor an innuendo is all that is being reported.

/soapbox

I tend to agree that DD would not be duplicitous... intentionally. However, if the FO is in any turmoil, and DD continues to not say a word publicly, then I believe that he is being duplicitous by his (non)action.

Who is "lambasting" the Orioles position in this?

Pretty sure both Rosenthal and Heyman have written that the Orioles should let DD move on.

Funny how no one goes after the White Sox. Kenny isn't lying about making the story up but the way he presents things has a negative slant towards the Orioles. He said how people in the organization wanted Dan to go and only when pushed on it does he say it was because it was becoming a distraction. He leaves things open ended to create drama, remember the Angelos not wanting Cal Ripken story in 2010? The story came out right when the Orioles started out like 1-10. Kenny is more than happy to tweak Angelos any chance he gets.

Duquette is doing his job, the Blue Jays are doing theirs, Rosenthal is doing his, Angelos is doing his. The only way this gets resolved is for one of the parties to bend, and that HAS to be Toronto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't obsess over Ken Rosenthal like some others so I don't know enough about him to comment on that. Apparently, according to you guys, he has a grudge against Angelos. Maybe he does. The question remains. Is he making stuff up or reporting legitimate information. In this case, it looks like legitimate information.

Again, whatever Ken Rosenthal's motives are, the STORY here is that the Jays are interested in DD for their CEO job and Duquette wants the job, and we'll see what happens.

Why isn't he going after the White Sox? Why does he make comments without supporting them? You don't say people in the organzation want Dan to go and then just leave it open ended without explaining it. The story is real, can't argue that but I think the messenger here has a bias which tilts the story.

Again, there is a very simple way to kill this story. All Duquette has to do is go on the record and say while he appreciates the Blue Jays interest, he has no interest whatsoever in the Blue Jays job and he wishes to continue in his current role with the Orioles. End of story. The Blue Jays look elsewhere.

But the reason he isn't saying that is because he'd be lying. He wants the job. Any MLB executive would be champing at the bit for such an opportunity. Anywhere. It's a major promotion. It's a highly important, coveted and rare job to be named the CEO/President of a MLB team. It's a big deal. Add to the fact that Duquette has lived in Canada and likes it. Angelos "digging in his heels" to derail the opportunity will certainly not endear himself to Duquette although I'm sure Duquette will continue to do his best as the Orioles GM as long as he holds that position. But for the life of me I just don't know why Angelos would want to retain Duquette if he doesn't want to be there. Let him go.

And folks, as far as the personal attacks on Rosenthal go, here's a news flash: The horse died. It's okay to stop beating it. He's doing his job. It's okay not to like the message but no need to kill the messenger.

This thread is weird.

For what it is worth, I believe the Egg came first and THEN the chicken.

Dan Duquette is in the process of ending his revival in Baltimore. I don't really care why or how and I certainly don't think it's because of improper reporting. He did a good job and wants out. He will get it. I think he may have underestimated PA, but that remains to be seen. Regardless of slants, or biases, this will not look good in Baltimore. Of course at the time it looked pretty bleak when we said no to the Grant Balfour contract. In time, the Orioles decision was justified, but the impression was negative. I think the same thing is likely to occur here and Toronto will likely be the ultimate loser unless they pony up big time. PA will find a way to punish TOR, MLB and DD. As I think 33rd St said earlier in this thread. Where there is turmoil follow the Angelos.

I believe Angelos would attempt to remove DD of his duties, while not allowing the Blue Jays to get DD.

We have no way of knowing if DD is doing his job to the fullest or isn't even trying now. He might not even be allowed to make decisions. No one is really a Saint. You certainly can't know what is going on in the mind of someone you don't know personally. If you asked me a year ago did I think Bill Cosby was a nice guy in real life I would have said yes.

He was out of baseball for 10 years and the only reason he got the job with the Orioles is because everyone else turned it down. Looking at the success he had in baseball before, he had to burn some bridges along the way.

Also nice guys dont' try to get out of a contract with 4 years to go to another team. Even the guys who are inside the Orioles all have their own opinions and egos to judge what DD is doing so they can't even give you the straight dope.

He isn't going after the White Sox because the Blue Jays have decided that Duquette is their guy and not Kenny Williams. Do you think Rosenthal engineered this whole thing that way?

I don't see how he is "going after" the Orioles anyway. The Blue Jays are going after Duquette.

The Sox denied permission didn't they? Even if they dropped going after him still doesn't change what Chicago did.

This is so shady it makes my head spin. I can't believe Toronto is allowed to just keep floating things out there until they get their way. It should have ended as soon as the os say that he is our gm. Toronto should have moved on. Now they are just putting poison in our well, until they get what they want. It's mind blowing. And Dan, even if he would like the job, should come out and make a statement supporting the orioles and ending this fiasco. I just can't wrap my head around the fact that Toronto is allowed to just poach whoever they want. I mean, can you picture this?

" who should we hire"

" how about duke"

" he is under contrAct and the orioles don't want to let him out"

" oh well, he w ants our job more, and if we keep floating things out there, it will make things so uncomfortable over there, that they will have no choice but to give in to our demands"

" brilliant, call Ken"

I mean, this is beyond shady. And I will also put myself in the camp that doesn't buy Dan can do his job with the os as effective. I'm not saying he will purposely do things wrong, but between the strained relationships, and human nature of his heart not being in it, it's just not the same. And he certainly can't do his job right this second, not with this **** storm going around.

Dan has not said anymore on the subject since the winter meetings? Why? I personally think he is interested; he should be. It's a promotion and a pay raise. Does that mean he WANTS to leave Baltimore? Does that mean he is not doing the best job possible now? I think "no" to both. Just because someone is interested, does not mean they want to leave. But he does not want to come out and voice his commitment to Baltimore right now. He would like to leave that bridge unburned until he has a chance to weigh his options. Until that point, I fully believe he is doing what he believes is in the best interest of the Orioles; this will of course be part of his legacy.

Archived