Dan Duquette Duplicity Thread

weams

weams, I hope you didn't interpret my remark as suggesting that I think that Dan Duquette is being duplicitous or isn't giving the O's his best effort. I think he's handling the offseason exactly as he intended with respect to the Orioles' strategy, and very consistently with everything he's done in the last three years.

However, I do believe he has interest in the Blue Jays job, and that there have been discussions between him and PA about this, and that the subject is not a dead letter, and that Rosenthal was just doing his job by reporting what he has been hearing.

No. I take to heart when you think I am allowing my judgment to be clouded. I think Kenny made himself the story. You don't. So I dropped the Rosenthal talk further. I respect you. I believe Dan would love the promotion and the 5x money that would come with it. I do not believe he bleeds orange. I believe he is under contact. And had his career revived.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
weams, I hope you didn't interpret my remark as suggesting that I think that Dan Duquette is being duplicitous or isn't giving the O's his best effort. I think he's handling the offseason exactly as he intended with respect to the Orioles' strategy, and very consistently with everything he's done in the last three years.

However, I do believe he has interest in the Blue Jays job, and that there have been discussions between him and PA about this, and that the subject is not a dead letter, and that Rosenthal was just doing his job by reporting what he has been hearing.

Absolutely. His MO is to wait out the market and bargain shop while he looks for diamonds-in-the-rough types. There is, however, a possibility that he wanted to spend money on Cruz or someone else and was not allowed to do it. He spent money last year (late in the offseason, but he did spend cash).

What's interesting to me is that the first sentence says "Frobby called me out for bashing Kenny Rosenthal again". The thread is about whether folks have lost confidence in Duquette over all of this. Are we suggesting that the story never would have come out if Ken Rosenthal did not exist? Tony S. suggests that Toronto wanted the story out there and leaked it to Rosenthal. Are we suggesting that no other writer in the world would have run with the story Rosenthal had?
No one is suggesting that. They all went insider credibility and would have prostituted themselves and ran with it. Is Rosenthal immune from criticism for being as unethical as the rest of the bordello? Why did they go to Rosenthal? Was it because of the "special relationship" he has with Angelos?
You mentioned this is in the big thread, and there, as I do now I submit you and I have a different definition of what his job is.

Absolutely. His MO is to wait out the market and bargain shop while he looks for diamonds-in-the-rough types. There is, however, a possibility that he wanted to spend money on Cruz or someone else and was not allowed to do it. He spent money last year (late in the offseason, but he did spend cash).

Interesting post. Many of us have assumed that the primary reason for seeking the position in Toronto was to further his career, and pad his paycheck. The comment that Jim Duquette reportedly made today, that DD wanted to spend the money on Cruz and was squashed, may have been the last straw for DD. In that case, how can you blame him for wanting to grab the opportunity for more control that the position in Toronto offers. Things have gone so well in the organization the last three years that I have forgotten a fundamental principal: when there is turmoil in the Warehouse follow the Angelos.

No. Answering the question would be better. What, if anything, did Ken Rosenthal make up regarding this whole story?

Ken made up the timing. First, right before the winter meetings and then the morning of the owners meeting. In each case he managed to make the Orioles look a team in chaos.

Maybe. Maybe not. So you're suggesting he sat on the story for a month or two and decided when to run with it. Isn't it just as possible that Rosenthal ran into someone at the winter meetings who gave him the story?

The story ran the day before the winter meetings. Duquette found out about it while on a plane. His cousin, Jim, showed him the story on his tablet. I don't know if he, in fact, held on to the story or for how long, but he chose when to report it. I certainly doubt that he held onto it for months, and didn't mean to suggest that.

Ken made up the timing. First, right before the winter meetings and then the morning of the owners meeting. In each case he managed to make the Orioles look a team in chaos.

Which is funny cause every Oriole reporter confirmed Ken report. But yet Ken made it up smh.

Weams says that Rosenthal has made himself the story. Not IMO. You and Weams have made Ken Rosenthal the story. Most of the rest of us are talking about the real story which is that the Jays want Duquette, he wants them, and Angelos is either going to try and top that or make it very hard for the Jays. The story is also what, if anything, this does to he O's organization if Duquette stays. Lot's of good story lines. You and Weams just decided to spend all of your time killing the messenger instead of talking about the real story.

But how do we know what the "real story" is? All we have is what's being trotted out in the media.

I believe Rosenthal spun it anti Orioles. That is my belief. Why did he not break the Kenny Williams news when Kenny was threatening to quit. Or the fact that the Nationals denied Rizzo?

The guys on 105.7 this morning were ranting about why in the world this story is spinning so anti-Orioles. They also pointed out the Jays handled their pursuit of Kenny Williams very poorly (as they are doing with Duquette now) but the White Sox didn't get lambasted for not allowing them to talk with Williams.

They opined this is all happening because MLB is pissed at the Orioles over the MASN lawsuit so MLB wants Duquette to leave Baltimore.

I have no idea what one thing has to do with another but that's what was said on the air about 9:30 AM.

Sorry you are wrong about all of this weams. Duke is a rat pure and simple. And to say that we should be satisfied with getting nothing in return. Are you serious.
Sorry, you're wrong about Dan. It's human nature to want the promotion once it's being presented to you...unofficially. I don't blame him for having interest, assuming he does. Dan doesn't have historic ties to the club like he did with Boston, a team he was a fan of long before he had the job. No one, not Weams, will be satisfied with a marginal return, but that could be what happens nonetheless.

The sentiment being put out in the media is that Angelos should just cave and he's being unreasonable. Was he being unreasonable when he thought he had his ballclub's future secure maybe after he was gone? He didn't ask for the underhanded business from Toronto. Now he's forced to defend himself because a division rival covets our recent success. Maybe somebody can show me any criticism of Toronto trying to poach a guy locked up under contract for another four years. As myself and others have said, was there no other place they could have looked than Baltimore?

Weams says that Rosenthal has made himself the story. Not IMO. You and Weams have made Ken Rosenthal the story. Most of the rest of us are talking about the real story which is that the Jays want Duquette, he wants them, and Angelos is either going to try and top that or make it very hard for the Jays. The story is also what, if anything, this does to he O's organization if Duquette stays. Lot's of good story lines. You and Weams just decided to spend all of your time killing the messenger instead of talking about the real story.
You really do enjoy building weak strawmen don't you? I haven't been extremely critical of Toronto throughout all of this?

Frobby called me out for thinking that the story begat itself here.

I watched a bit of the idiotic banter about this whole situation, I think that anyone who believes for a moment, no matter what the outcome, that Dan Duquette is not serving the Orioles faithfully and with full effort through all of this is off their rocker. That is not what that man is about.

I am the one who started the compensation at the level of Pompey and Sanchez rumors. There is no reason to believe that should the Orioles back down and allow Dan to be poached while until four more years of control that they would get any anything other than a sore armed reliever back.

I am not very happy that Dan's integrity is being called into question here, or that a fake mole has been planted in the front office to stir up the dissent charges. It is simply not true and rumor an innuendo is all that is being reported.

/soapbox

Thank you! Really ridiculous how people are feeding into this nonsense.

Archived