Roch: Waiting for O's to make their next move...

ChaosLex

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Focus on extending people then. Let's not have everyone leave town next off season -- only two FAs are Boras clients (albeit the biggest) -- you've got De Aza, Pearce, Norris, O'Day, Hunter, Webb, Matusz, and Wright to look at. Take a look at how they perform during the season. If they look good, lock them up before the off season hits like the Os did with JJ Hardy.

Otherwise, strike during the season with an opportune trade. There will be injuries and under-performances (and over-performances) everywhere and it will change the landscape. At least half of the big free agent signings this off season will be duds; history has proven that.

The Ravens graciously watch their OC suddenly leave for Denver, and it takes them 48 hours to fill the position.

The O's stick their collective heads in the sand and have basically gone thru the offseason without a GM.

Yeah I know that the NFL works different but the bottom line, it that DD wants to leave and forcing him to honor his contract is not a good long term solution.

A competent organization (Ravens) would move quickly to resolve the situation and bring in the new GM ASAP.

I'm betting even if DD is allowed to walk before ST, the O's still take months to a year to permanently fill the GM position.

The Ravens graciously watch their OC suddenly leave for Denver, and it takes them 48 hours to fill the position.

The O's stick their collective heads in the sand and have basically gone thru the offseason without a GM.

Yeah I know that the NFL works different but the bottom line, it that DD wants to leave and forcing him to honor his contract is not a good long term solution.

A competent organization (Ravens) would move quickly to resolve the situation and bring in the new GM ASAP.

I'm betting even if DD is allowed to walk before ST, the O's still take months to a year to permanently fill the GM position.

What, the Ravens are a better-run organization than the O's? Knock me over with a feather. Do you have any opinions on whether the sky is blue, or water is wet?

I have come to believe that in baseball and life in general,when one tries to stand pat, that usually they slip backwards. As Patton said in WW2, I do not hold, I move forward. We will see, as there are many variables in baseball that do not show up in stats. However, it is not just this team vs last years team to compare to, but this years team vs the rest of the AL East, and in fact all of baseball to compare to. I hope we win it all with whoever we pencil into the lineup. Maybe we will get enough good breaks to do just that.

Yeah, we've completely ruined the offseason because of being so stubborn about Angelos getting what Angelos wants. Its a shame really, and I just want to get this over with before it drags into the season. Do we really need this constant controversy over our heads?

if the O's are out of it by the all star break, they will have a lot of valuable pieces that they can sell off, rather than lose to FA (Wieters, Davis, Pearce, .....)

Hope the new GM is a great talent evaluator as we move fully into the re-tool stage. If we get the right pieces to combine with our relatively cheap and young pitching staff, I see no reason we can't compete in 2016 and beyond.

Next Move? My guess is they sign Nolan Reimold to a minor league contract and invite him to ST.

I see the O's having eight guys for two spots. Whoever performs in ST goes north with the team.

13 position player spots.

1. Davis 1B (after his one game suspension)

2. Schoop or Navarro 2B (90% chance it Schoop but Navarro gets a long look)

3. Hardy SS

4. Machado 3B

5. Wieters if he can hit (C or DH or DL depending on health)

6. DeAza LF (at least part time and maybe full time)

7. Jones CF

8. Pearce RF or DH (1B on Opening Day)

9. Young DH (Part time)

10. Flaherty UIF

11. Joseph C (starting catcher if Wieters isn't ready to catch, backup if Wieters can catch)

12. Open

13. Open

Arencibia takes one spot as backup catcher if Wieters can only DH or is DL'd

The last spot is between Lough, Reimold, Paredes, Alvarez, Hassan, Urrutia, Walker, or Lavarnway. (If Wieters is DL'd pick two)

(Lough would be the favorite for the spot but anything can happen in ST)

(Lavarnway or Walker candidates at DH only if Wieters is not filling a DH spot)

(Walker probably makes the team for the Opener in place of Davis)

I think you stock up on depth and cross your fingers that you win the metaphorical one dollar scratch off.

Reimold, Parmelee, K. Johnson, Schierholtz, Perez, Crain, Saunders...these are all players that have some sort of success that might be a nice a addition if we happen to have them at a good year.

I'd sign Parmelee to a major league contract and Beachy too if his medicals look good.

Archived