Roch: Waiting for O's to make their next move...

ChaosLex

It's happening this offseason. A few more and we're battling for the basement. I figured more activity from a defending east champion looking to go even further.

Believe it or not, the team we have now is pretty good. I would have liked more but I don't think we're doomed for the cellar. If we do nothing between now and next offseason, I will eat my hat.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which means you didn't take into consideration how much arbitration would push up the cost of paying these guys. Even with the 3 Amigos gone and no one of great cost added, payroll is up.

Yeah, but it's easier to complain when you deal in half truths and try not to consider the whole picture.

1. No incentive to sell when you're making money hand over fist and not putting it back into the team.

2. For the millionth time I had no interest in Rasmus, but not even someone like Aoki? There really wasn't one single good trade out there? Please.

Then go to minor league games.

If the team came out tomorrow and said that they would start actually caring about winning and exploring all avenues to get better instead of finding a bunch of spare parts that don't work, I don't care if they triple the ticket prices.

None of anything you have said is logical at all. The team obviously wants to win they keep increasing payroll. And DD and Buck have said anytime they have gone to Angelos and asked for something he has given it to them.

They have made a lot of trades and signings to get to the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years. It sure sounds like they aren't trying.

I am guessing you don't go to a lot of games if you don't care if they triple the ticket prices. Well it is nice that I can get the best ticket in the house pretty reasonably. And all those tickets aren't going to the 1 percent.

You need some perspective. If you want to pay a lot more money for tickets and want a team signing big name free agents, Nationals Park is right down the road.

Yeah, but it's easier to complain when you deal in half truths and try not to consider the whole picture.

So the Orioles FO didn't consider arbitration when they said they would reallocate that money? They still offered Markakis a deal. Would that have prevented them from offering arbitration to anyone? And who's complaining? I gave my expectations. I don't care if you agree or not really.

Believe it or not, the team we have now is pretty good. I would have liked more but I don't think we're doomed for the cellar. If we do nothing between now and next offseason, I will eat my hat.

Pitching is pretty deep and solid from top to bottom. Defense is really good. Pitching and defense win games. I still think we need another outfielder. I don't expect Pearce to perform over a full season as an everyday player. I expect Jiminez to be a lot better this year.

I dont' expect the team to score as many runs with their best OBP guy and their best best hitter both gone. So it might be tough but as they say that is why they play the games.

So the Orioles FO didn't consider arbitration when they said they would reallocate that money? They still offered Markakis a deal. Would that have prevented them from offering arbitration to anyone? And who's complaining? I gave my expectations. I don't care if you agree or not really.
I believe that if Markakis has signed, De Aza would have been non tendered.

Which means you didn't take into consideration how much arbitration would push up the cost of paying these guys. Even with the 3 Amigos gone and no one of great cost added, payroll is up.

I did take that into consideration. I gues I assumed added attendance revenue plus playoff revenues would allow them to bump it up a little more. Plus the fact they have alot of money off the books after 2015. But thats just me complaining.

I've been alive for 0 of them.

Well don't smoke, eat a lot of fish and vegetables and exercise daily and you are bound to see them win one. Not many pro-sports teams can go 90 years between championships. Well other than the Cubs. But people still love them more than the White Sox so maybe championships aren't as important as you make them out to be.

I believe that if Markakis has signed, De Aza would have been non tendered.

Well from reports they offered Rasmus 7 million so they had at least 7 million to work with. Markakis took 11 million with the Braves, I have to believe we offered less than that if they made a serious offer to Nick at all.

Yeah, we probably would've been forced to trade Norris or DeAza.

We probably have money for a trade at the deadline if our OF situation flounders.

I'd probably be okay with giving Nate Schierholtz a shot. Career .720 OPS vs. RHPs with a bit of upside(.799 in 2013 and .826 in 2012).

Still think trading for Carlos Quentin is the way to go though.

What does Carlos Quentin offer that we don't already have in Delmon Young? We don't need another RH DH, especially not an injury prone one with a terrible contract.

Schierholtz is worth a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training, I guess.

What does Carlos Quentin offer that we don't already have in Delmon Young? We don't need another RH DH, especially not an injury prone one with a terrible contract.

Schierholtz is worth a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training, I guess.

Quentin hits well from both sides of the plate. Delmon is primarily effective v LHP. If he DH's mostly he wouldn't be so injury prone.

Archived