I would be surprised that they went HS/HS/HS.

I don't understand why someone would be drafted as a 2B, shortstops generally get moved to second when they can't hack it at short.

If it was me I would consider burning one of the five picks on a signability pick to free up money for the other four.

I don't feel qualified to specifically judge the players you named.

I'm definitely not qualified whatsoever. Just throwing out a middle infield scenario to see what reactions would be. I'm all for drafting ss and have their pro performance decide where they go later.

My guess is they prefer HS arm at 25 then a bat @ 36. I could totally see a college preference in the first 10 rounds to fill around Harvey, Sisco, Reyes, Gonzalez by 2018/2019. I think whatever they do will be pretty interesting.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm definitely not qualified whatsoever. Just throwing out a middle infield scenario to see what reactions would be. I'm all for drafting ss and have their pro performance decide where they go later.

My guess is they prefer HS arm at 25 then a bat @ 36. I could totally see a college preference in the first 10 rounds to fill around Harvey, Sisco, Reyes, Gonzalez by 2018/2019. I think whatever they do will be pretty interesting.

I would never draft a HS second baseman in the first 10 rounds. But I'm an amatuer.

I would never draft a HS second baseman in the first 10 rounds. But I'm an amatuer.
Not unless the team he was on already had a draft worthy SS and CF. Even then I would wonder why he wasn't catching.

Forrest Wall, 2B, Colorado Rockies

One outing of course and I'll try to catch a few more of his starts on the SEC network to see if I notice the same things I noticed today but here's my thoughts on Kyle Cody...

Fastball topped out at 96 MPH which was mildly disappointing considering I heard recent reports of him working as high as 98 MPH. Fastball was a consistent 92-94 MPH in the early innings but dropped in the later innings to 90-92 MPH. When he stays on top of it, he gets great sink and the pitch is tough to square up. However, despite good control of the pitch, I wasn't impressed with his command within the zone today. The pitch tended to flatten out when he left it up and the Gamecocks were able to square it up when he did despite the premium velocity. There's minimal effort in his delivery which I like, but almost to a fault. At times, he looked like he was playing catch out there and I think he could drive his lower half more when he plants before delivering the pitch. He could potentially sit mid-90's throughout an outing with improved tempo in his delivery and/or more effort in his lower half. At 6'7", 245 pounds, armed with a potential plus fastball and a repeatable delivery, it's easy to see why he has first round potential. However, what I saw today was more of a 2nd round talent and that is because his secondaries need improvement. The quality of his low 80's slider was erratic and his change up was borderline nonexistent. When he did throw the change, the pitch had little life and not a single one made it over the strike zone or was offered at by a batter. The slider flashed plus at times but wasn't commanded well and too often hung over the middle of the zone. It's an interesting package but not one I think would be in play for the Orioles at pick number 25 IF his future outings look like the one I saw today. That being said, if he starts holding his premium velocity deeper into starts as the season progress and shows a more consistently plus slider, he could definitely enter the middle of the 1st round picture.

Final Line: 6.1 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, BB, 4 K, No Decision

• 2 weeks later...
This mock here has the O's taking DJ Stewart (LF, FSU) at #25. I've seen a good deal of Stewart over the last few years and I would be very pleased if he lasts to #25 and ends up being the Orioles' pick. Kid can flat-out hit.

Wonder if he could be ready sometime in 2017? They also have them taking Young, college lefty. Don't see the O's going college w/ both of the first two picks.

Interesting they have Dillon Tate @ 31. Seems like he should be higher now that it looks like he may be able to start.

Wonder if he could be ready sometime in 2017? They also have them taking Young, college lefty. Don't see the O's going college w/ both of the first two picks.

Interesting they have Dillon Tate @ 31. Seems like he should be higher now that it looks like he may be able to start.

Tate is widely considered a top 10 guy now, some have him as high as #2 behind Rodgers. 100% wont be there at 31. Stewart at 25 would be a steal; a complete bat who is going to move real fast.

Tate is widely considered a top 10 guy now, some have him as high as #2 behind Rodgers. 100% wont be there at 31. Stewart at 25 would be a steal; a complete bat who is going to move real fast.

Yes, Tate is easily top ten with the stuff he has shown as a starter this year. That mock needs to be updated.

Thanks. I thought I read that about Tate.

I wonder if Stewart turns into a top 10 underslot pick with the savings turned into HS overslots in the next couple of rounds. His OBP so far is over the top.

How far do you think Aiken may fall with the TJ news? Is he still a top 15 pick like Hoffman was last year or could he possibly slide further than that?

Depends on how comfortable teams are with the surgery. If there were no troubling complications then he seems like a pretty easy top ten guy, maybe 5-7 range. If there is a little more uncertainty he could slip into the teens.

Archived