Depends on how comfortable teams are with the surgery. If there were no troubling complications then he seems like a pretty easy top ten guy, maybe 5-7 range. If there is a little more uncertainty he could slip into the teens.

Any idea how good an idea of his progress can be made in this short a time period?

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks. I thought I read that about Tate.

I wonder if Stewart turns into a top 10 underslot pick with the savings turned into HS overslots in the next couple of rounds. His OBP so far is over the top.

I was actually thinking about this today. I very much doubt that the Astros take best player available at 1.2 and 1.5 just because of how much leverage this would give the players knowning that the layer at 1.2 must be signed.. I could see them taking Tate or Matuella at 1.2 and then taking Stewart at 5 saving a couple million dollars in the process and splurging on HS arms in the 2nd,3rd,4th

I was actually thinking about this today. I very much doubt that the Astros take best player available at 1.2 and 1.5 just because of how much leverage this would give the players knowning that the layer at 1.2 must be signed.. I could see them taking Tate or Matuella at 1.2 and then taking Stewart at 5 saving a couple million dollars in the process and splurging on HS arms in the 2nd,3rd,4th

That would be quite the savings. Since there seem to be so many available, I think they take 2 college pitchers to line up with Appel, like Matuella and Kirby. Watch them take two HS bats-Cameron and Plummer.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched Carson Fulmer pitch last night for Vanderbilt and damn was he impressive. He won't be available when the O's pick unfortunately but worth noting that Red Sox GM Ben Cherington was in attendance too. Wouldn't surprise me to see him go #7 to Boston after the improved command I saw from him last night.

Watched Carson Fulmer pitch last night for Vanderbilt and damn was he impressive. He won't be available when the O's pick unfortunately but worth noting that Red Sox GM Ben Cherington was in attendance too. Wouldn't surprise me to see him go #7 to Boston after the improved command I saw from him last night.
He'll be 22 next season right?

Per Roch: "The Mets and Brewers are contacting teams in search of catching help and have checked in with the Orioles regarding Steve Clevenger, who's batting .317 at Norfolk and leads the International League with six runners caught stealing."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/04/orioles-hope-to-find-a-cure-in-home-cooking.html

MIL has a competitive balance pick. Would be something if DD traded him for a pick w/other players involved.

Per Roch: "The Mets and Brewers are contacting teams in search of catching help and have checked in with the Orioles regarding Steve Clevenger, who's batting .317 at Norfolk and leads the International League with six runners caught stealing."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/04/orioles-hope-to-find-a-cure-in-home-cooking.html

MIL has a competitive balance pick. Would be something if DD traded him for a pick w/other players involved.

I will be shocked, flabbergasted and amazed if Dan were to pull that off.

• 3 weeks later...

Baseball America has their second mock draft out. They have Stewart of from Florida ST at 1:26 and Kirby lhp from UVA at 1(s):36.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/mlb-mock-draft-2015-version-2-0/

This is what they have to say about Stewart:

"Baltimore is into college bats and is into analytics. Florida State’s D.J. Stewart leads the nation in walks and has corner-profile power. Manager Buck Showalter could lean on the insight of old friend Rick Down, his former hitting coach in his Yankees days, as Down was a special instructor last summer for USA Baseball’s Collegiate National Team and got to work up close and personal with Stewart."

This about Kirby:"There is some buzz on Allard and Kirby".

Is this a good way to start the draft? Kirby @1(s):36 could be value for someone who earlier was considered possible a top 10 pick.

I think the time has come for us to focus on position players for the system, long overdue. Best available, but we need some position prospects.

You mean a repeat of 2103 where the O's drafted position players w/ 7 of the 1st 11 picks? Like Hart, Cisco, Heim, Murphy, Dosch, Mancini, Wynns? A little catcher heavy. Also added Yaz in 14th round.

I would mind a repeat of this, w/ at least a high upside arm or two near the top.

You mean a repeat of 2103 where the O's drafted position players w/ 7 of the 1st 11 picks? Like Hart, Cisco, Heim, Murphy, Dosch, Mancini, Wynns? A little catcher heavy. Also added Yaz in 14th round.

I would mind a repeat of this, w/ at least a high upside arm or two near the top.

But we drafted a pitcher first!

Archived