Wieters Full Time DH?

weams

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/02/wondering-about-wieters-if-he-isnt-ready-to-catch.html

One of my goals in spring training is to find out whether the Orioles are willing to let Matt Wieters serve exclusively as the designated hitter if he's not ready to catch on opening day. I've posed the question to manager Buck Showalter and executive vice president Dan Duquette this winter, but I can't get an answer.

The Orioles didn't let Wieters DH last season because they decided it would hinder his attempts to rehab his right elbow, which later required surgery. It wasn't going to benefit him to interrupt his treatments to swing a bat.

Their stance may change this spring if they don't think the at-bats will negatively affect his elbow. That's what I want to know.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought someone (Buck or DD) had said previously that they wouldn't want to have him start the year as a DH because he'd be unable to get game work as a catcher in non-pressure (ST or MiL rehab) situations when his arm is ready.

I don't think Wieters or Boras would be a fan of going forward as a DH-only in his walk year.

I thought someone (Buck or DD) had said previously that they wouldn't want to have him start the year as a DH because he'd be unable to get game work as a catcher in non-pressure (ST or MiL rehab) situations when his arm is ready.

I don't think Wieters or Boras would be a fan of going forward as a DH-only in his walk year.

Someone here said that. Buck and Dan have not answered the question.

Depends on which Wieters the O's get:

The Wieters with a 743 career OPS or

The Wieters with a 839 2014 OPS.

One sits and the other DHes.

Or the Wieters that gets paid 8.3 million, what does he do if he can't catch?

It's funny. He is getting paid just like Nelson was also!

I said last year and got laughed at, and I still maintain that belief.

Start Wieters off at DH and backup catcher for the first few weeks, bring him around slowly.

Finally, if he proves, 100% healthy, I would still cut back on his behind the plate duties, to 3-4 days a week and DH the other games. If Joseph play behind the plate like he did last year, then we will be covered as catcher.

Also, if Wieters walks in 2016, then you have Joseph with more experience, ready to take over as first string in 2016.

As for Boras and Wieters not being a fan, so be it, the Orioles have to look out for themselves first.

Again, just my opinion.

I think we can piece together better options than a slow running, career 100 OPS+ catcher to DH.

But what if you are paying him 8.3 million dollars in his final year with the club. What will you do with then if he can't throw to second yet?

Or the Wieters that gets paid 8.3 million, what does he do if he can't catch?

It's funny. He is getting paid just like Nelson was also!

Money should not play a role in the decision. Winning should.

If Ubaldo is not better than the other five starters he goes to the pen.

If Wieters can't catch or hit well enough to DH he goes on the DL until he can.

Archived