O's Sign Everth Cabrera

SticksandStones

He made $2.45 million last season.
This was ostensibly his best deal available. He has no reason for ill will toward the Orioles regarding his deal.

I agree, it is still a good deal for Cabrera.

However, my comment was inadvertently way off base, and needed correcting.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They can also simply merge it with the existing thread.

That way, you get to keep your post. ;)

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/146445-O-s-Close-to-Signing-Everth-Cabrera

i just meant delete the post where I asked for the typo correction, not delete the thread. I am fine with it being merged. And I'm happy to see Everth will be reporting so we don't have to wonder what's going on with the signing anymore.

i just meant delete the post where I asked for the typo correction, not delete the thread. I am fine with it being merged. And I'm happy to see Everth will be reporting so we don't have to wonder what's going on with the signing anymore.

Oh, OK.

Yeah, I suppose that this would be a good separate thread.

One thread is about him being signed, this one is about his reporting to camp.

I'm really eager to see if he can bounce back from last year's sub-par season.

Possible but I don't think so. Cabrera has played very little outfield. Lough is a key defensive replacement. There is really no reason to have both Flaherty and Cabrera on the same team, assuming that Schoop is the 2B.

That is a big "if". I am not convinced Schoop starts the year with the O's. Even without Cabrera there would be good arguments for keeping him in AAA. I think Cabrera is competing with Schoop just as much as Flaherty.

Oh, OK.

Yeah, I suppose that this would be a good separate thread.

One thread is about him being signed, this one is about his reporting to camp.

I'm really eager to see if he can bounce back from last year's sub-par season.

The speed is there, if the hammy's are healthy. Everth brings success in the stolen base category, which the team has lacked for the past year. You know he won't hit for power. It's all about the OBA. (For me, this is the type of player where OBA wholly overrides BA. I still want good BA from the middle of the order batters, even if that better BA comes with a little less OBA.) Just get on base however you can, Everth.

You mean the other way around right? De Aza's left handed and Cabrera has a better split vs LHP.

I'm curious if the team keeps both Cabrera and Flaherty, and lets David Lough go.

Not really. De Aza, though a lefty, has hit pretty well versus LHP, 2014 notwithstanding. Switchy Cabrera hit better vs.RHP in his most productive season, 2012.

As for Lough, the exact same idea has crossed my mind quite a few times.

Regardless of why he is here, competition at positions, a guy who can play multiple positions and who increases our team speed significantly for relatively cheap is never a bad thing.

If he sucks, we cut bait at the end of the year. But if he can recapture his all star form? It's a huge bargain, just like Pearce and Davis before him.

2.4m is not too much for a bench player. Young is making 2.2m. I think Cabrera and Schoop start out the year sharing 2B and who ever does well will get more playing time. Flaherty is probably at AAA until one of Cabrera and Schoop underperforms.

I don't think what happens at 2B has much to do with Lough. The last few days Buck as made comments about Snider playing full time in right. That is very good for Lough. He can continue to start the season as the 4th outfielder and compete this spring for a starting role though De Aza and Cabrera will be hard to knock out for a starting spot to begin the season.

He's the anti Schoop. He wont hit HR, but he'll get on base, steal them, and play good D. And he's a SH.

If he puts up a .272 OBP like last year, he'll be a downgrade. He's competition for Schoop, but one of them needs to hit much better than last year.

If Schoop is not hitting in spring training, I think he is going down. I could also see Flaherty going down to get regularly playing time to see if his hitting can improve. If Cabrera still shows signs of an offensive slump carrying over from last year, he can go down. All three have an option, so it's all good. Any injury later in the year and we pull one up.

Archived