O's Sign Everth Cabrera

SticksandStones

Yeah, I'll admit it caught me off guard. It doesn't seem like a move the Orioles would make in that it could potentially be over 2 million down the drain. But now that it seems likely to happen I find myself excited about it. Speed has been lacking since Roberts was in his prime.

The Orioles wasted more on Wada and Yoon. They seem willing to take some risks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where is that reported?

Eduardo Encina

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Paul Janish has surgery to remove bone spurs from his elbow. He will be out 6-8 weeks. Nix signing adds IF depth with his loss. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">February 19, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This means that Schoop is either the starter or back at Norfolk. No sense having him sit on the bench. Flaherty is the one with real competition. If Schoop earns the starting 2B job in ST, then he could lose his utility spot Cabrera. Also Navarro has a chance. A mild surprise could be Cabrera is the 2B with Navarro the UTIL guy. Keep in mind that Flaherty has been a notorious slow starter for us. Nothing wrong with giving Schoop and Flaherty a month of AAA at bats and then re-evaluate the whole thing. This is when DD is at his best. I'd expect to see another bullpen arm added as well.

The Orioles wasted more on Wada and Yoon. They seem willing to take some risks.

Yeah, you're right. Though not to split hairs but Yoon and Wada were different types of risks. Cabrera hasn't had a whole lot of success outside of one year that he was busted for steroids. That's risky signing him.

Kyle (NY): Everth Cabrera to the O's: A Nelson Cruz-esque signing circa 2014 or buying a best of Nelson album circa 2015?

Klaw (2:19 PM): I like it. Gives them some necessary depth. If Manny needs more time off during the season they'll be glad to have Cabrera on the bench. Or perhaps he's a useful trade piece in July if Manny's healthy and Hardy/Schoop are both playing well.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/51580/mlb-insider-keith-law

Evan Grant @Evan_P_Grant ? 9m 9 minutes ago

I would expect Profar to miss all of 2015 as Rangers currently have no time table for return

Anyone think the Rangers try and sign Cabrera?

It is possible, but they have Odor and Andrus up the middle already so they are fine (barring another injury) without having to make a move.

It is possible, but they have Odor and Andrus up the middle already so they are fine (barring another injury) without having to make a move.

It would be good depth. At this point you can't count on Profar at all. He basically needs to be written off and if he makes it back view it as a plus.

Yeah, you're right. Though not to split hairs but Yoon and Wada were different types of risks. Cabrera hasn't had a whole lot of success outside of one year that he was busted for steroids. That's risky signing him.

Too bad that Wada was hurt...he, like every other pitcher that goes to the Cubs from here and improves, seemed like he was MLB caliber last year. Is the organization's feeling on Yoon that he's just not any good?

Too bad that Wada was hurt...he, like every other pitcher that goes to the Cubs from here and improves, seemed like he was MLB caliber last year. Is the organization's feeling on Yoon that he's just not any good?

It certainly looks like they don't think he can recapture his pre-injury form.

Maybe you guys are on to something. I could be wrong. I don't think this is anything alarming on it's own. I definitely agree it could be expensive insurance, but I also think he brings skills that we don't have in excess on the team. He can be used off the bench in ways flash would not be. Also, if he pushes flaherty to AAA, it continues what we have seen with DD, his tendency to use Norfolk as an extension of the MLB roster. We almost have a full team sitting at AAA:

C: arrencibia, clev

1b: Walker

2b/ss: flaherty, nix

3b: paredes, almanzar

Of/Dh: Alvarez, Urrutia, reimold, Hassan

Don't forget about a potential pitching staff of Bundy, Wright, Harvey (maybe a little early for him to arrive at AAA), Yoon etc.

Should be a fun year down here in Norfolk!

Any chance that Cabrera could also be an be an option at one of the corner outfield spots? I could see his athleticism and speed transitioning to OF. Either way, its not a bad pick up in my eyes; insurance for injury prone Hardy and Machado, or if Schoop/Hardy poop the bed at 2B.

Archived