Top 2008 Draft Prospects: Justin Smoak

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Today Justin Smaok played ECU.

He went 1-3 with a 2 run HR, 2 BB (1 intentional).

This kid is really impressive. Much more than I thought he would be.

As always... thanks so much for the updates. Smoak is starting the season hot... it bodes well for his draft status as among the very best players coming out.

Weblink, thank you for the updates.

Do you know if he is hitting equally from both sides of the plate or does it look like he is more comfortable hitting from the right or left?

No problem. I enjoy doing it. I know not everyone has time to see all the games. I have no life so it gives me something to do for the board :D

To answer your question. He looks very comfortable from both sides of the plates and has power from both sides as well. This guy is a joy to watch so far. He is one of those players that you just know enjoys playing the game. The announcers were talking about him with the utmost respect. He seems like a very safe (in a good way) player. The announcers were saying that they think he could be up in the bigs after just one season in the minors at the most. He not only was good last year in college, but he also was the MVP of his Cape Cod league this fall and lead them in HR's. I think he is someone to really keep your eyes on this year. I was impressed.

No problem. I enjoy doing it. I know not everyone has time to see all the games. I have no life so it gives me something to do for the board :D

To answer your question. He looks very comfortable from both sides of the plates and has power from both sides as well. This guy is a joy to watch so far. He is one of those players that you just know enjoys playing the game. The announcers were talking about him with the utmost respect. He seems like a very safe (in a good way) player. The announcers were saying that they think he could be up in the bigs after just one season in the minors at the most. He not only was good last year in college, but he also was the MVP of his Cape Cod league this fall and lead them in HR's. I think he is someone to really keep your eyes on this year. I was impressed.

Actually it was 2006 that he was in the Cape. He played for Team USA in 2007 and had an awful run. Alvarez had way better stats on the same team.

I must have misunderstood. I was just trying to relay the excitement the announcers had about the kid.

Everything I read expresses excitement about him. It'll be interesting to see if he signs with Boras and how far he drops because of it. There are some like Keith Law who think he's the best player in the draft.

Everything I read expresses excitement about him. It'll be interesting to see if he signs with Boras and how far he drops because of it. There are some like Keith Law who think he's the best player in the draft.

I was really disappointed that Alvarez did not play more this weekend. They both had many games on the schedule and I was looking forward to seeing them both. He looked pretty good this weekend. If he keeps it up, I can def see him being right there in the top 5.

After reading Roch's updates I have a question. Does anyone else feel that Weiter's season will have a serious effect on who we draft this year?

I really feel that Smoak and Alvarez are going to be the closest thing to a mature bat in this year's draft(similar to Weiters last year). Already we are getting quotes from players and coaches stating he is on the fast track. Well...if you are the Orioles, why wouldn't you draft the same type of player?

I have done a complete 180 on Beckham and Smoak. I want the more sure thing. I want a staple at 1st, CF, RF, and Catcher (offense and defense). Between Rowell, Snyder and Reimold we should have a 3B and LF. That is 6 out of the 8 positions. I'm sure the team can address the MI positions through further trades, drafts and FA.

I love drunk posting.

After reading Roch's updates I have a question. Does anyone else feel that Weiter's season will have a serious effect on who we draft this year?

I really feel that Smoak and Alvarez are going to be the closest thing to a mature bat in this year's draft(similar to Weiters last year). Already we are getting quotes from players and coaches stating he is on the fast track. Well...if you are the Orioles, why wouldn't you draft the same type of player?

I have done a complete 180 on Beckham and Smoak. I want the more sure thing. I want a staple at 1st, CF, RF, and Catcher (offense and defense). Between Rowell, Snyder and Reimold we should have a 3B and LF. That is 6 out of the 8 positions. I'm sure the team can address the MI positions through further trades, drafts and FA.

I love drunk posting.

Drunk posting is the best. You made alot of sense for a drunk post.:D

I don't know if you read or not, but Alvarez was hurt this weekend and only played in one game. I watched all three of Smoak's games and I think he may be the closest thing (without seeing Alvarez play) that you can have in this draft. I think the kid is going to be a star. I agree with you 100% about Weiters having an affect on this pick. When I forst started reading about prospects, I had it Alvarez, Beckham, Hosmer and then Smoak. After watching last week though, I have rearranged it to be Alvarez, Smoak, Becham and Hosmer based simply on the fact that Alvarez and Smaok would be on the same timetable as Weiters would be. With a little luck, they could both be in the big league lineup by 2010. As you said, by that time we can have Jones, Markakis, Weiters, Smoak/Alvarez, Rowell, Reimold, and Snyder all on the team. That is a good start. The only problem that I see is that Hosmer and Alvarez are going to be REALLY tough to pass on if there.

Archived