I'm starting to pay attention now

Frobby

Exactly, as I have posted before, the players ARE evaluated on spring training. Not simply on the raw statistics they accumulate. As many have pointed out, that is a ridiculously small sample size compared to their major league track record.

But they practice every day. They take BP, they hit in games. The results (single or out) don't matter but you can be darn sure the coaches are watching their at bats both in practice, in non-stat games like 'B' games, and in games. How are they hitting the ball? How are they doing what they are instructed to work on? How does their swing look?

And their work habits and fielding ability and everything else they do is evaluated. Not just in the games, but in practice and preparation.

Judgements are being made. That doesn't mean someone is sitting there saying, oh, he's 7 for 19, that's a .367 batting average, he must be better than the guy who is 4 for 21 (.181). But the coaches are making decisions based on the sum total of what they observe. Not just stats but quality of all their activities in spring training, of which the actual games are a small but not insignificant part.

The idea that the players' career numbers are somehow cast in stone and therefore what they do for 40+ days in Sarasota has zero effect on whether they make the team absurd, just as absurd as the idea that a guy who hits .300 in 37 spring at bats gains some significant advantage over someon who hits .237. Both extreme sides of this argument are completely missing the reality of the matter.

You are right. Spring means very little other than health.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rule 5 pick Logan Verrett, selected from Mets, has allowed two runs in 10 innings, with one walk and eight strikeouts. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">March 21, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Very meaningful for those on the bubble. Now, who in your opinion is on the bubble? Quite a few still, verdad?

McFarland, Flaherty, Paredes, Schoop, Reimold,Clevenger, Lough,Verrett, Matusz,Webb, etc. All good players who could be traded for valuable parts on the future. Man, this spring is real important, isn't it?s who

Very meaningful for those on the bubble. Now, who in your opinion is on the bubble? Quite a few still, verdad?

McFarland, Flaherty, Paredes, Schoop, Reimold,Clevenger, Lough,Verrett, Matusz,Webb, etc. All good players who could be traded for valuable parts on the future. Man, this spring is real important, isn't it?s who

McFarland, Flaherty, Schoop, Clevenger all have options. So no bubble at all for them.

Reimold is a true minor leaguer with no option until June. So no bubble for him.

McFarland, Flaherty, Schoop, Clevenger all have options. So no bubble at all for them.

Reimold is a true minor leaguer with no option until June. So no bubble for him.

He meant on the 25 man roster bubble (at least for most of those players). That clearly matters for those players and spring stats mean something for them.

He meant on the 25 man roster bubble (at least for most of those players). That clearly matters for those players and spring stats mean something for them.

Sure. Good point. I just mean. None of them need to be on the 25 man roster regardless of performance.

This coming week will be very interesting especially for the 7 starters ( I'm including Matusz). I'm expecting a trade by April. I'm guessing Matusz to the Phils who desperately need a starter with Lee being out and Harang's aches and pains.

This coming week will be very interesting especially for the 7 starters ( I'm including Matusz). I'm expecting a trade by April. I'm guessing Matusz to the Phils who desperately need a starter with Lee being out and Harang's aches and pains.

I am starting to pay attention to how bad Bud Norris has been this spring. I would normally say "spring doesn't matter" but we have at least 6 possible starters and Bud has been horrible. Bud said something about back stiffness earlier in the spring. Yes, I am officially worried.

I am starting to pay attention to how bad Bud Norris has been this spring. I would normally say "spring doesn't matter" but we have at least 6 possible starters and Bud has been horrible. Bud said something about back stiffness earlier in the spring. Yes, I am officially worried.

Norris is probably your 5th starter. Of which, we won't need for 2 weeks to start the season. Keep calm:)

We could start Jimenz instead? How about that? Though so...Bud will be fine. He is a bulldog and hated on here for no good reason IMO.

Archived