Will 2015 Dictate The Rest of Matt Wieters' Career?

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is a "thing" when a player is about to go into a contract year coming off a major surgery. An extension would have made sense for both parties.

Please find me one example in the history of baseball where this has happened.

And no, a one year-extension would not have made sense for Wieters. It is all downside with almost no upside.

Never said he wasn't good. Said he isn't worth nearly the payday he is about to get (assuming he plays this year and shows he is capable).

Sorry, but, when you say most rater Oriole ever, most people are going to draw the line to conclusion, you think he isn't any good.

Granted, you have explained your feelings, and most will agree that he isn't worth big money contract to resign.

Never said he wasn't good. Said he isn't worth nearly the payday he is about to get (assuming he plays this year and shows he is capable).

How can you assume he plays this year and shows he is capable and thus is going to got a huge payday while also arguing that he should have signed a one year extension? It isn't logical.

Sorry, but, when you say most rater Oriole ever, most people are going to draw the line to conclusion, you think he isn't any good.

Granted, you have explained your feelings, and most will agree that he isn't worth big money contract to resign.

Thanks man:)

Yeah, how dare the fifth pick in the draft only make 3 all-star teams and win two Gold Gloves in his first five full years. Why couldn't he be more like Matt Hobgood? OVERRATED. I wish he was more like Caleb Joseph and held Bowie's franchise record for games played.

By WAR (and really any other reasonable measure) Wieters is 9th among fifth overall picks in the 50 years of the MLB draft. A full third didn't ever reach the Majors.

Good point. Career WAR of recent O's picks:

Gausman 0.7

Bundy 0.1

Matusz 2.3

Britton 3.0

Wieters 13.6

Manny 10.4

Hard to imagine anyone on this list getting close to Wieters before their walk year except Manny and maybe Gausman.

How can you assume he plays this year and shows he is capable and thus is going to got a huge payday while also arguing that he should have signed a one year extension. It isn't logical.

Because that is a HUGE risk is about to take. What if he doesn't bounce back immediately? The Orioles have basically already acknowledged he doesn't hit enough to be a DH, he must be a catcher....so that can't be good for his value....

Could everything work out for him and he get a big payday next year? Sure. But a lot has to go right. I personally would have preferred to have another year to prove myself.

Good point. Career WAR of recent O's picks:

Gausman 0.7

Bundy 0.1

Matusz 2.3

Britton 3.0

Wieters 13.6

Manny 10.4

Hard to imagine anyone on this list getting close to Wieters before their walk year except Manny and maybe Gausman.

I am no expert on WAR, but that is as a catcher, correct? With a good arm, correct?

A long-term deal assumes he will remain at catcher...and likely that will not occur.

WAR is great and all, but perspective is important too.

I am no expert on WAR, but that is as a catcher, correct? With a good arm, correct?

A long-term deal assumes he will remain at catcher...and likely that will not occur.

If he signs a long term deal and doesn't stay at catcher, complain about it then. To assume that he is done as a catcher AND that some team will pay him as if he isn't is way too speculative.

I am just reacting to the "most overrated Oriole ever" comment. Presumably you were talking about his reputation going back to his status as a top prospect. At which point he was still a catcher.

Because that is a HUGE risk is about to take. What if he doesn't bounce back immediately? The Orioles have basically already acknowledged he doesn't hit enough to be a DH, he must be a catcher....so that can't be good for his value....

Could everything work out for him and he get a big payday next year? Sure. But a lot has to go right. I personally would have preferred to have another year to prove myself.

Where is the risk? If he is lousy or doesn't get the long-term deal he thinks he deserves then he can still get a one-year deal this coming off-season. Signing a one year deal now if he turns out to be lousy is neutral for the Orioles and neutral for him, maybe he makes an additional million dollars or two more than he would make as a free agent coming off a lousy season. Signing a one year deal now if he turns out to be his old self is great for the Orioles and terrible for him. There is no upside on his part.

Still waiting on one example in the history of baseball where a player has signed a one year extension when he was a year away from free agency.

Where is the risk? If he is lousy or doesn't get the long-term deal he thinks he deserves then he can still get a one-year deal this coming off-season. Signing a one year deal now if he turns out to be lousy is neutral for the Orioles and neutral for him, maybe he makes an additional million dollars or two more than he would make as a free agent coming off a lousy season. Signing a one year deal now if he turns out to be his old self is great for the Orioles and terrible for him. There is no upside on his part.

Still waiting on one example in the history of baseball where a player has signed a one year extension when he was a year away from free agency.

I see your point. I would just hope MW would show some sense of gratitude to Buck for helping with his development. But I guess I am being na?ve.

Archived