Fangraphs' Jeff Zimmerman's scouting reports on Bundy and Harvey 3/16

Frobby

When Bundy had his cup of coffee a few seasons ago, he was throwing 88-92 and topping out around 94-95. I never saw the 98 that keeps getting thrown around. Maybe Bundy wasn't as good as we thought. His stuff was good enough to get H.S hitters and low minor league hitters out. It's happened. Maybe his recovery is just taking more time. He's still young, so there's still time to get back what he's lost.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When Bundy had his cup of coffee a few seasons ago, he was throwing 88-92 and topping out around 94-95. I never saw the 98 that keeps getting thrown around. Maybe Bundy wasn't as good as we thought. His stuff was good enough to get H.S hitters and low minor league hitters out. It's happened. Maybe his recovery is just taking more time. He's still young, so there's still time to get back what he's lost.

Yea, all the third party scouting services get together and collectively decide to hype up a random prospect every year.

What is really weird is that they got the guys at Brooks Baseball to pitch in.

Because it just so happens that his velocity from those two appearances was recorded for posterity.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/velo.php?player=605164&time=&startDate=03/30/2007&endDate=03/29/2015&s_type=2

For some reason they think his average 4 seam velocity in his first appearance was 96.24.

I don't think there is any doubt that Bundy's trade value is way down. I believe there was an article after the 2012 season that had Bundy in the top 50 players (majors or minors) in terms of trade value. He certainly wouldn't be there now. Of course it is an exaggeration to say he has zero trade value now, but his stock has dropped a lot and we'll have to see how he does this season as it progresses.

Here's the article, which was by Jonah Keri, placing Dylan Bundy's value at no. 20 in all of baseball after the 2012 season: http://grantland.com/features/rating-players-contracts-major-league-baseball-part-2/. One spot behind Manny and well ahead of Adam Jones and Matt Wieters.

Yea, all the third party scouting services get together and collectively decide to hype up a random prospect every year.

What is really weird is that they got the guys at Brooks Baseball to pitch in.

Because it just so happens that his velocity from those two appearances was recorded for posterity.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/velo.php?player=605164&time=&startDate=03/30/2007&endDate=03/29/2015&s_type=2

For some reason they think his average 4 seam velocity in his first appearance was 96.24.

I was stating what I saw during the Seattle game. I'm not a scout and never claimed to be. So you can save the sarcasm.

I was stating what I saw during the Seattle game. I'm not a scout and never claimed to be. So you can save the sarcasm.

OK then his average four seam velocity in his SECOND appearance was 94.89 MPH. Still a far cry from what you posted.

You get sarcasm when you make blatantly untrue statements.

I didn't know you had to be a scout to look up his actual velocity.

OK then his average four seam velocity in his SECOND appearance was 94.89 MPH. Still a far cry from what you posted.

You get sarcasm when you make blatantly untrue statements.

I didn't know you had to be a scout to look up his actual velocity.

It wasn't blatantly untrue. The gun that night on TV was showing what I said. Call SAFECO and tell them to recalibrate the guns then. Other then that, save the sarcasm for someone who gives a damn.

It wasn't blatantly untrue. The gun that night on TV was showing what I said. Call SAFECO and tell them to recalibrate the guns then. Other then that, save the sarcasm for someone who gives a damn.

I think you are confusing games. I think Bundy got called up when the team was in Seattle after that 18 inning game. He pitched a game at Fenway and one at OPACY.

Bundy pitched on September 23rd and 25th, 2012. What are the Brooks Baseball dates referencing. http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=bundydy01&t=p&year=2012

I did not remember seeing great velocity those games either.

Brooks records pitch data for every pitch thrown in the majors. Velocity, location, movement the whole enchilada.

Frankly I am going to believe Brooks over a poster that remembered Bundy pitching against the Mariners in Safeco.

I think you are confusing games. I think Bundy got called up when the team was in Seattle after that 18 inning game. He pitched a game at Fenway and one at OPACY.

This is true. And it was Tillman that hit 97 in the ninth at Safeco.

Brooks records pitch data for every pitch thrown in the majors. Velocity, location, movement the whole enchilada.

Frankly I am going to believe Brooks over a poster that remembered Bundy pitching against the Mariners in Safeco.

The dates are saying 7/12 and 9/12 correct?? Is that the month and year? Bundy was not in the majors until late June. Did he pitch in the Futures game that summer? I also remember Bundy pitching those two games and I thought his velocity was more in the low 90's. He did not pitch in SAFECO.

I am very worried about Bundy. He hasn't looked great this spring to me at all. Now a couple of months from now that could all change but right now it is hard not to be concerned. He is living off of past talents more than present at the moment. Nobody knows if he can regain what he had.

Is that based on actual in person observations or just what has been written here and his stats to date? Just asking, because a true in person observations would certainly make your observations more valid.

Archived