Orioles have ongoing trade discussions involving Brian Matusz and Ryan Webb (Webb Traded)

xian4

Seems unlikely.

2014 OPS against -

LHB

Wright: .594

Matusz: .626

RHB

Wright: .714

Matusz: .876

I have been looking at wOBA, which discerns things a bit more.

For 2014,

Matusz 276vs372

Wright 273vs316

I think career wise, Matusz is painted as a better LOOGY, which is partiucularly evidence down the stretch last year, but that is a small number of games. Wright comes across as a better all around pitcher.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I knew the day would come when we would all agree.

LOL-that is awesome.

Question: what does everyone thing will come of Brian Matusz? The divide between love and hate with him is growing judging by this thread. I am not very passionate either way, but I wouldn't have offered him arbitration. So does he stick all year?

LOL-that is awesome.

Question: what does everyone thing will come of Brian Matusz? The divide between love and hate with him is growing judging by this thread. I am not very passionate either way, but I wouldn't have offered him arbitration. So does he stick all year?

Given that he has pitched well before in the relief role, I think it takes more than a couple of bad outings before you write him off.

But, Buck and DD has shown, that they are going after the playoffs, and they will do what they need to do to win.

So if he isn't producing, then he will be gone.

It's a shame Matusz had a bad outing to start the season. As you say, we scored zero runs. I'm pretty sure we've never won a game when we didn't score.

I really get sick of the Matusz haters who jump on his case after any bad outing and always find a way to deny him any credit when he pitches well. He's not as good a lefty reliever as Zach Britton or Andrew Miller. That doesn't make him horrible. He's so-so. Yeah I think $3.2 mm is a bit steep for what he provides, but it's not like he's the only overpaid LOOGY in MLB.

I haven't heard a lot about the 2.2 scoreless innings Matusz has thrown the last two days. I didn't see the game Sunday, but thought he looked pretty sharp last night.

I haven't heard a lot about the 2.2 scoreless innings Matusz has thrown the last two days. I didn't see the game Sunday, but thought he looked pretty sharp last night.

Good point. I was ready to DFA Matusz in the game thread.

The day after I did say that I am OK with Matusz if he is limited to lefties in high leverage situations, even elite lefties like Ortiz, etc. He has always done well against those guys. Buck said specifically that he did not bring him in for Tommy because he knew that Headley was available to pinch hit. So Buck seems to be thinking similarly. Of course, that decision didn't work out well for Tommy...

The other factor that has changed recently is that Wright is now on the DL. There's no other option at this point.

Hard to know where to go next. Gausman has the stuff and the splits to be the versatile guy for any situation, but he is still a work in progress. Garcia is making the leap from A ball. Brach has looked OK but has given up runs every time out. Apparently Matusz is only to be trusted vs lefties and Hunter only vs righties. Hard to know where to go next right now.

On a side note, Webb has apparently signed a MiL deal with the Indians after being treated as a pawn by the Dodgers to get our competitive balance pick. He has been sent to AAA by th Indians. Why wouldn't he stay with us and go to AAA again? I guess he feels like he will get more of a chance to get back to the majors with them, but it seems like a pretty bad move to me unless the Orioles told him they didn't think he'd get back with us. I wouldn't want to start over in a new organization in AAA rather than go back to AAA to play where I had played before with an organization that I know and vice versa. Odd IMO.

The Cleveland bullpen got light up by the Tigers. The Indians could get him at league minimum. I think Ryan and the Orioles both wanted a fresh start.

Cleveland's pen is apparently pretty bad so the local writers think he is just going to AAA to get some work and then report to the ML team. If that is the plan, it does make sense if the guy just cares about being in the majors with someone.

Yeah with all of this nonsense surrounding him he hasn't pitched in nearly 12 days. Sure he needs a little bit of a tune up.

Archived