The Offense

Frobby

AL leadoff hitters last year (11294 PA):

.326 OBP

0.59 R/GS

75.2 SB%

.718 OPS

2.37 K/BB

So, ideally you'd want numbers better than those averages.

See above. I'd say we are more than ideal at our lead off spot so far this season.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AL leadoff hitters last year (11294 PA):

.326 OBP

0.59 R/GS

75.2 SB%

.718 OPS

2.37 K/BB

So, ideally you'd want numbers better than those averages.

I can't get to bb-ref here at work, might try to mine Fangraphs for this, but I get the feeling that today's high K/worship-batspeed environment has made little guys who try to work the count rare. .400 OBP guys are usually middle-of-the-lineup types. Last year only six of the top 30 qualifiers in OBP had less than 10 homers. Dexter Fowler may have been the only real improvement over De Aza who was plausibly available last offseason.

I can't get to bb-ref here at work, might try to mine Fangraphs for this, but I get the feeling that today's high K/worship-batspeed environment has made little guys who try to work the count rare. .400 OBP guys are usually middle-of-the-lineup types. Last year only six of the top 30 qualifiers in OBP had less than 10 homers. Dexter Fowler may have been the only real improvement over De Aza who was plausibly available last offseason.

CHO CHO was .390 and ranked number leadoff hitter by sporting news for 2014.

Yeah, I posted a thread in the offseason detailing how the Orioles weren't doing bad from the leadoff spot and that De Aza could hold his own, at least against RHP which is the majority of major league starting pitchers. Just a rudimentary round number, but if the Orioles can get .340 from the leadoff spot they're doing very well.

You sir are the one that has lost touch with reality.

The Orioles have the best record for the past 3 years, they are playing winning ball.

In spite of having the idea perfect lead-off man.

He scores runs, that helps you win games.

Putting you back on ignore.

I get it. I criticize some things that the Orioles do despite their success and that doesn't sit well with you. You are going to instinctively disagree with me more often than not. No problem. However, suggesting that De Aza is the answer to be the team's leadoff hitter is a stretch. The team is in a position to win RIGHT NOW and they didn't address the hole at the leadoff spot. De Aza is a nice player and he certainly deserves to play but he should not be the leadoff.

And of course you resorted to your typical defensive post of "the Orioles have won the most games in the last 3 seasons." That's great but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't try to improve. How are you not understanding that? So far he has scored runs but assessing whether or not he should be batting leadoff isn't that simple. Take off the blinders and stop hiding behind the saber-metrics nonsense.

I'm going back on ignore?!?! lol don't flatter yourself.

I get it. I criticize some things that the Orioles do despite their success and that doesn't sit well with you. You are going to instinctively disagree with me more often than not. No problem. However, suggesting that De Aza is the answer to be the team's leadoff hitter is a stretch. The team is in a position to win RIGHT NOW and they didn't address the hole at the leadoff spot. De Aza is a nice player and he certainly deserves to play but he should not be the leadoff.

And of course you resorted to your typical defensive post of "the Orioles have won the most games in the last 3 seasons." That's great but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't try to improve. How are you not understanding that? So far he has scored runs but assessing whether or not he should be batting leadoff isn't that simple. Take off the blinders and stop hiding behind the saber-metrics nonsense.

I'm going back on ignore?!?! lol don't flatter yourself.

So if you got a do-over on the last six months who would be leading off for the Orioles today?

...at twice the cost.

By the way, I wanted to Fowler, but am happy with two years of Snider and Cabrera instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...at twice the cost.

By the way, I wanted to Fowler, but am happy with two years of Snider and Cabrera instead.

I agree. It sure looks like the light has turned on for Snider, and that we'll enjoy the 2014 version of him (or even better?). Cabrera is the perfect buy-low guy who was an All-Star two years ago and can turn the lineup over from the 9 spot. And of course Fowler is a free agent next year, so he can be revisited (I doubt the Orioles go after him once Alvarez is ready).

They've had 6 years to find a leadoff hitter
You keep bloviating about lead off hitters, but you wont even define your standards for one. If I don't know what the minimum is how will I know how big the hole is? IMO a platoon that provides a .378 OBP is pretty good. Last year it was .336, better than the League Average of .326. What's you measure?

You keep bloviating about lead off hitters, but you wont even define your standards for one. If I don't know what the minimum is how will I know how big the hole is? IMO a platoon that provides a .378 OBP is pretty good. Last year it was .336, better than the League Average of .326. What's you measure?

Mid-career Tim Raines. Or Sliding Billy Hamilton (1894 version).

Archived