The Offense

Frobby

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
See. The latter part of this post is a really good response. Serves for much better discussion than not providing alternatives. Aoki was discussed quite a bit this offseason. Is he an upgrade? I think it's up for debate. And I accept that it's possible that they could add his salary. However, that would mean we wouldn't have one of De Aza, Young, Snider, or Paredes/Lough. Which one would be gone? Who loses playing time for him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear ya. In that scenario, they would have added Aoki and not signed Snider. The defense and speed would have improved but the power would have taken a hit. For this team, I personally think Aoki would have been a better fit but we'll see how it plays out.

I think the Orioles liked the total package De Aza brings more than they liked Aoki.

True but they could have had both

No, power doesn't trump OBP. You could argue that a combination of (power + bad OBP) has a better price point than OBP. But not making outs is still the most important thing any batter can do.

I agree. I think the key is finding a mix of both

I hear ya. In that scenario, they would have added Aoki and not signed Snider. The defense and speed would have improved but the power would have taken a hit. For this team, I personally think Aoki would have been a better fit but we'll see how it plays out.

True but they could have had both

I agree. I think the key is finding a mix of both

And who might that be?

I kind of like what I'm seeing from the offense. We've scored at least 5 runs in 6 of the 7 games we've played. Certainly the power has been there. I feel like we've seen some patient at bats, too.

Lov'in Snyder's at bats he brings something we have NOT had a lot of, a good eye, and a patient bat ;)

He may be the anti Jones LOL (NOT picking on jonesy, he is who he is, and right now it's working)

De Aza has 13 strike outs and 1 walk through 9 games. Pearce normally bats in the middle of the order and now you want him to bat 1st? Come on. Machado would be a reasonable option but I think he is better served batting where he has been.

That's my point, the O's don't have a leadoff guy on their roster now. Having a guy hit out of position like they did with Markakis is an option but it isn't necessarily the solution.

Why should we care how often De Aza strikes out? The only reason a strike out is considered worse than other kinds of outs is that you can't advance baserunners on a strikeout. But if it's the leadoff hitter, the presumption is he is leading off, not batting with runners on base. And if he is batting with runners on base, then he isn't leading off the inning. Therefore, I absolutely reject the idea that it's a problem if the leadoff hitter strikes out a lot, so long as his offense is OK otherwise.

Second, you can't cherry pick a couple of bad stats from nine games and pronounce them as part of a trend, and then ignore the more important good stats the player has compiled in those nine games. I'd gladly take 162 games from DeAza just like the games he has played so far (minus the dropped fly ball in the OF).

Right now the Orioles' leadoff hitters rank 3rd in BA, 5th in OBP, 2nd in SLG, 3rd in OPS, 1st in runs scored, and 4th in RBI in the American League. And you're worried about strikeouts? Give me a break.

Second, you can't cherry pick a couple of bad stats from nine games and pronounce them as part of a trend, and then ignore the more important good stats the player has compiled in those nine games.

Yeah, I didn't get a reply when I challenged him on that. Maybe you'll have better luck. De Aza's track record says he can take a walk.

Right now the Orioles' leadoff hitters rank 3rd in BA, 5th in OBP, 2nd in SLG, 3rd in OPS, 1st in runs scored, and 4th in RBI in the American League. And you're worried about strikeouts? Give me a break.

Yeah, no problem with De Aza leading off against RHP and a host of other candidates against LHP. I trust Buck to figure it out.

This is not the exact clip I am looking for but listen to what Dan says at the end of the clip.

Is the the clip you wanted? She did this too.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MrPmYXQ2UH8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why should we care how often De Aza strikes out? The only reason a strike out is considered worse than other kinds of outs is that you can't advance baserunners on a strikeout. But if it's the leadoff hitter, the presumption is he is leading off, not batting with runners on base. And if he is batting with runners on base, then he isn't leading off the inning. Therefore, I absolutely reject the idea that it's a problem if the leadoff hitter strikes out a lot, so long as his offense is OK otherwise.

Second, you can't cherry pick a couple of bad stats from nine games and pronounce them as part of a trend, and then ignore the more important good stats the player has compiled in those nine games. I'd gladly take 162 games from DeAza just like the games he has played so far (minus the dropped fly ball in the OF).

Sorry, but I completely disagree with you. The Orioles have enough guys in their lineup that strikeout too much and/or swing at bad pitches. I don't care how the leadoff hitters rank through 9 games, the leadoff spot has been a hole for several years. De Aza was a nice addition and I'm glad the Orioles traded for him last year. However, like a lot of the other guys in the lineup, pitchers don't have to throw strikes to get him out

They are both left hand bats, and Aoki's defense has been suspect lately, as well as costing too much IMO.

Aoki is on a 1 year, $4.75 million contract. He would replace Snider so it doesn't matter that he is a lefty and the defense in the outfield would improve.

I agree, I'm glad they didn't sign him. I like Snider better.

I do too.

Snider getting heat for 1 bad ball, but Buck also pointed out to another wind driven catch that he made late in the game, that people dont realize how hard it was to catch that.

Buck thinks Snider is a good OF, and so far, I am liking what I see from him.

Archived