What to do about the bullpen?

Crazysilver03

And many here aren't fond of TJM and would love it Matusz would be sent to Norfolk with TJM.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I can understand that, but, there isn't a ton of LHP in the minors, and Berry is no where close to the point, where we can talk about him.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can understand that, but, there isn't a ton of LHP in the minors, and Berry is no where close to the point, where we can talk about him.

No one is talking about Berry. But Cabral has looked good. Still have Chris Jones and Pat McCoy down. Drake has reverse splits.

No one is talking about Berry. But Cabral has looked good. Still have Chris Jones and Pat McCoy down. Drake has reverse splits.

AMen on Drake! People keep forgetting that. Drake has reverse splits (SCREAM:)

McCoy hasn't impressed me but Jones has looked really good this year. DD did a good job (better than most) for relievers options.

Some people ahead of Beato as RHP, but he has looked very impressive.

Berry name has come up, in another thread.

Not sure one good inning from Cabral is enough to announce him fit to replace Brian or TJM.

TJM can at least go long relief, can Cabral?

Not sure one good inning from Cabral is enough to announce him fit to replace Brian or TJM.

Yeah. His name as come up as a DFA candidate. Not as someone to call up.

Are you intentionally obtuse some times? You did it in the Givens thread and you are doing it here with Cabral. These guys have looked excellent in the minors. Clammoring for them is not based off of their one or two innings in the majors.

To be determined I believe....but Drake can.

To be determined I believe....but Drake can.

Which was kind of shocking since he didn't do it recently in the minors.

Sure TJM can go long. So could Gausman. But if Buck doesn't want to use them that way it doesn't matter.

I think inherited runner stats are one of the worst stats to look at from a pitcher. The situations are o different here and some times you can do a great job and still it hurts your stats. You come into a game with men on 2nd and 3rd and no outs give up a grounder to 2nd and give up one and the next hitter hits a medium deep fly out and strike out the third guy you go 0 for 2. You have 1st and second and 2 outs walk a guy then get the next guy to line out and you go 2-2.

I don't think that the statistic should necessarily be completely ignored, but I agree with the points that you make, and that instead of simply looking at the overall statistic at face value, it needs to be scrutinized.

Similarly, the Men Left on Base (LOB) total can be a dubious statistic in itself at times, also. Unless you finish an inning with a home run before the opponent records the third out of the inning, you are always going to have men left on base in any kind of rally. You can score 6 runs in one inning and still leave 2 or 3 men base in said inning. You can score 14 runs in a game, and still leave 16 runners on base for said game.

Matusz did not do well in allowing all 3 base-runners to score against the Yankees, but he also entered the game in the worst possible situation that a relief pitcher can enter it in, with the bases loaded and nobody out. If he (for example) had entered the game with runners on 1st and 2nd base with 2 outs, and he let both of those runs score, I would be more critical of him doing that than I would for what actually happened against the Yankees.

Also, as others pointed out, some relief pitchers are generally better suited to deal with inherited base-runners than others. I remember in Game Three of the 1998 World Series when the Padres led the Yankees by one run heading into the 8th inning. Instead of bringing in a well-rested Trevor Hoffman (who had not pitched at all since the N.L.C.S.), manager Bruce Bochy put Randall Myers into the game, and he walked the only Yankee batter that he faced. THEN Hoffman was brought in, and Tim McCarver was very critical of Bochy for this, for now Hoffman had to pitch from the stretch, be concerned about a base-runner, etc. instead of coming into a clean inning, and having a chance to shut the Yankees down by himself. Hoffman gave up a single and a 3-run home run before getting 3 outs, and the Yankees wound up winning the game by a single run (5-4.)

Now perhaps Hoffman would have gotten tattooed by the Yankees anyway, even if he had come into the inning at the very start. But we will never know for sure, and I thought that it was an interesting point that McCarver had made at the time. And since we were on the subject of inherited base-runners, that was one of the first things that came to my mind.

We just listed 3. For one spot.

Sorry, I want to see more from Cabral, then one inning.

Same was said in another thread about Givens, you want to see more from him, before you anoint him O'Day's heir.

You didn't answer my question?

Buck said TJM was brought back because his ability to long relief, can Cabral do this?

Sorry, I want to see more from Cabral, then one inning.

Same was said in another thread about Givens, you want to see more from him, before you anoint him O'Day's heir.

You didn't answer my question?

Buck said TJM was brought back because his ability to long relief, can Cabral do this?

I don't know if Cabral can do long relief. But what does that have to do about him replacing Matusz?

If you want to see more from Cabral, look at minor league numbers. What kind If circular logic is that? You have a minor league guy that can take over. But your logic is that he hasn't done it in the majors so it doesn't make sense to test him in the majors.

Been alot said about Brian and allowing inherited base runners to score.

TJ has allowed inherited base runner to score in all 10 of his relief innings this season.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/06/orioles-recall-mcfarland.html

Where did you come up with that? Kubatko's post says, "McFarland allowed baserunners in all 10 of his relief appearances with the Orioles". It doesn't say anything about inherited runners scoring.

In fact, it's exactly the opposite -- McFarland hasn't allowed a single inherited runner to score this season (6 inherited runners, no runs).

That's not to say McFarland has been pitching well this year, but inherited runners hasn't been his problem.

Right now, the O's have six guys in the bullpen who can't be optioned:

Britton

O'Day

Roe

Hunter

Matusz

Brach

I put a space between them because the three guys at the top are the 'A' team now. Roe for the 7th, O'Day the 8th, and Britton the 9th.

I think they should move one, two, or all three pieces from the 'B' team to make room for guys with options. There seem to be guys in the minors who are ready to do the job. Give them an opportunity and create some roster flexibility.

Archived