ERod to make major league debut for Boston Thursday against Texas

Crazysilver03

I can't imagine Amaro asking only for EdRod in a deal with Boston. He sees Hamels as an ace, not as what he truly is which closer to what you've said. Do you think Boston would include Swihart/Betts along with EdRod?

Oh no, not just Rodriguez. But if Rodriguez looks like a potential mid-rotation arm that is major league ready (or will be to start 2016) then he could fill in as one of the primary pieces in the deal. If Philly buys-in to Rodriguez as a potential front-end guy, he could headline the deal.

I don't get the sense Boston has any interest in trading Betts/Swihart. However, I could see an argument for Hamels' value exceeding his contract by as much as $15 million in the aggregate (with that number shrinking the further we move into 2015), so it's not unreasonable to expect that one of Swihart/Betts should be included (though they'd need a solution at catcher for this year if they move Swihart). I think Boston would rather trade arms and if ERod can anchor the deal then it makes sense from the Sox perspective.

They have three lefties at Triple-A (Owens/Rodriguez/Johnson) all ready to compete for rotation spots in 2016 -- none really future front-enders but all having mid-rotation upside. It would make sense to see them deal from that depth to get an established arm. There's also plenty of low-minors depth to allow them the flexibility to move some upside guys that are a year or two or three away.

I don't have any feel for what direction the organization wants to go. They're dealing with injuries, too, which limits some of their trade options if they want to continue to try and compete in 2015. Best course of action may be to stay the course until the trade deadline and make a decision then, unless Philly comes to them and says they'll do something like Rodriguez, Barnes, Coyle/Margot, Longhi, or whatever. Tough situation -- glad I'm not the one making the call.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh no, not just Rodriguez. But if Rodriguez looks like a potential mid-rotation arm that is major league ready (or will be to start 2016) then he could fill in as one of the primary pieces in the deal. If Philly buys-in to Rodriguez as a potential front-end guy, he could headline the deal.

I don't get the sense Boston has any interest in trading Betts/Swihart. However, I could see an argument for Hamels' value exceeding his contract by as much as $15 million in the aggregate (with that number shrinking the further we move into 2015), so it's not unreasonable to expect that one of Swihart/Betts should be included (though they'd need a solution at catcher for this year if they move Swihart). I think Boston would rather trade arms and if ERod can anchor the deal then it makes sense from the Sox perspective.

They have three lefties at Triple-A (Owens/Rodriguez/Johnson) all ready to compete for rotation spots in 2016 -- none really future front-enders but all having mid-rotation upside. It would make sense to see them deal from that depth to get an established arm. There's also plenty of low-minors depth to allow them the flexibility to move some upside guys that are a year or two or three away.

I don't have any feel for what direction the organization wants to go. They're dealing with injuries, too, which limits some of their trade options if they want to continue to try and compete in 2015. Best course of action may be to stay the course until the trade deadline and make a decision then, unless Philly comes to them and says they'll do something like Rodriguez, Barnes, Coyle/Margot, Longhi, or whatever. Tough situation -- glad I'm not the one making the call.

They do have the depth. I like Barnes, probably more than some others. His CH is plus-plus at times and he could be a good mid rotation get.

Game is on MLB Network. He is holding the Rangers scoreless through five innings allowing only one hit and his stuff looks NASTY.

A bit nauseating watching him pitch knowing we traded him for 20 innings of Andrew Miller. Her certainly looks like a future #1 or # 2 starter. You don't see too many lefty starters that can hit 95 with command of three pitches.

Game is on MLB Network. He is holding the Rangers scoreless through five innings allowing only one hit and his stuff looks NASTY.

A bit nauseating watching him pitch knowing we traded him for 20 innings of Andrew Miller. Her certainly looks like a future #1 or # 2 starter. You don't see too many lefty starters that can hit 95 with command of three pitches.

The O's didn't trade him for the 20 innings, they traded for him for the 7.1 innings.

Be careful, you might get chastised for posting this here.

With how good he looks I wonder if he gets an extended look. Boston would be better with Joe Kelly at AAA.

I was going to say that there was already a thread in the MLB section devoted to this topic.

Then I decided not to. ;)

77 pitches through 6 innings. He allowed a ground ball hit that the 2nd baseman couldn't quite reel in.

The only thing that might stop him tonight is this nasty line of storms that's about to hit Arlington in about 15 minutes.

And we are all allowed to have opinions here, correct? We are also allowed to disagree with each other, just like I still disagree with the FO on making the Miller or ERod swap. We shall see.

77 pitches through 6 innings. He allowed a ground ball hit that the 2nd baseman couldn't quite reel in.

The only thing that might stop him tonight is this nasty line of storms that's about to hit Arlington in about 15 minutes.

And we are all allowed to have opinions here, correct? We are also allowed to disagree with each other, just like I still disagree with the FO on making the Miller or ERod swap. We shall see.

I will admit I was for the trade. Especially since he wasn't showing this kind of upside last season. Then he magically got it together around the time of the trade.

Be careful, you might get chastised for posting this here.

With how good he looks I wonder if he gets an extended look. Boston would be better with Joe Kelly at AAA.

They've already said he's up for a while. They are going with a 6 man rotation for a long stretch of games with no days off.

I believe without Miller' date=' we don't beat the Tigers. Would you trade that experience to have Erod back?[/quote']

That is very speculative to assume that, but you have to think about what's best for the team long term. And then you let Miller walk and naturally he signs with the Yanks. That should not happen.

Archived