What do you expect in June from the O's?

wildcard

small vocal minority and 200+ page threads over and over and over. :(

It is a discussion that some folk choose to have. Even three years of winning could not change that. Three World Series Rings would not have.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is that inside information?

DD and Buck both said they were interested until it was clear the $$$$ amount was higher than they were comfortable going.

I think this occurred the day he became a free agent. :D

Here is what I am think the O's will do in June.

Dan and Buck can't be happy with a 13-16 May. That is no way to make the playoffs. Things have to get better in June.

The pitching is not the problem. In May the O's had a 3.38 ERA which was 2nd in the AL. I don't see Tillman coming out of the rotation unless he strings several bad outings together. It sounds like Norris will be back in the rotation at some point. Pitchers with options will sent to AAA unless there are more injuries.

The defense in not the problem either. The O's have climbed to 5th in fielding percentage in the AL from near the bottom early in the season. Manny seems to have righted himself.

The problem is hitting. The 645 OPS in May can't continue if the O's want to make the playoffs. So what will they do?

1) Wieters return could change things if he hits. People that say Wieters and Joseph can't be in the the lineup at the same time - I just disagree with. If both are hitting and Paredes is not I think Buck will find a way to get them both in there. So a lot depends on Paredes continuing to hit.

2) Don't count Clevenger out. Yes, he probably goes to AAA when Wieters comes back but if he is hits .350 and the O's are not hitting he could figure in the DH spot as well. Paredes, Joseph, Wieters, and Clevenger - who's hitting?

3) The O's have already made one move in DFAing De Aza. That is to give Young, Pearce, Snider and Lough more chances to show they can hit. Its up to them to step forward or be left in the dust.

4) Parmelee is knocking on the door. He is hitting for a 826 OPS at AAA and he has hit well outside of Target Field in majors. I have no idea of the timing of getting him to the majors. It depends on what the current corner outfielders do IMO. But he is an option that could happen in June if things don't get better for the O's hitters.

5) Reimold - Is on a hot streak. Not much power. But will that matter if the O's corner outfield don't hit. Manny has been the O's best hitter in May with an 804 OPS. He could move lower in the order and Reimold could become the O's leadoff hitter.

6) Schoop - Don't know if he returns in June. But if he does it will be interesting to see how Flaherty is hitting at that time. If he is hitting better than the corner outfielders he probably does not go to the bench. Flaherty has a 662 career OPS so I don't expect him to knocking the cover off the ball. But I will not count him out either. He could play a corner OF spot if his hitting is good enough.

7) Alvarez - Has not been a great hitter so far this year. He needs to do better if he want to be promoted by the O's.

7) June is a little early for trades. That is more a July discussion IMO.

So, there is what I see. What is your take?

Number 5, please step forward ...... :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry, but I don't see the "fire" burning in this team like I saw last year and the year before....and especially in 2012 - when they suddenly seemed to realize just how good they really were and had a shot at winning a wild card slot. That "fire" is missing.

I am curious how the O's have looked on the olehippi Fire-o-meter over these last couple weeks. I know they have been winning, but I'm not sure whether the wins mean anything until we pass around some thermometers.

I honestly don't know what to expect in June. Obviously the offense needs to revert to form, and I think it will, to a reasonable extent. Hopefully, when Jones gets back he can get his act together and rebound from an awful month; I think Hardy will warm up too (May was sort of a rehab period for him, as with Manny last year). I think the defense needs to take it up a notch. Yes we made fewer errors in May, but I'm not seeing the kind of outstanding defense that I got used to seeing in the last part of 2012 and in 2013-14 on a consistent basis. I'm not too worried about the infield, but Delmon is pretty awful in RF and LF has been inconsistent, too.

Pretty much everything is going as I hoped with respect to the above.

I think with an improved defense (more Wieters, Flaherty, Schoop(?), and Lough), we'll see a much better pitching staff, which will take pressure off the offense, allowing it to "flourish" to about 4.3 runs/game. By July 1st, we'll be leading the division.

That's just the way I see it playing out.

So far, so good, though I suspect the offense has outperformed my expectations.

Archived