Pitching Prospect Matt Hobgood Working To Earn Roster Spot With Orioles

PressBoxOnline

I don't know how or why anyone would canvas all the rest of the teams concerning Givens.

I think whomever you were reading was exaggerating.

How many "top round" HS kids get drafted to be bullpen guys?

I don't know but I don't think it is very many, and I never read about anyone thinking he could be a starter.

If you're drafting a high school kid as a high-round relief pitcher you're doing it wrong. I think even Colt Griffin was drafted as a starter, on the basis of some dude who once saw him hit 100 on some radar gun.

If you're drafting a high school kid as a high-round relief pitcher you're doing it wrong. I think even Colt Griffin was drafted as a starter, on the basis of some dude who once saw him hit 100 on some radar gun.

I don't know if it would be wrong necessarily. It would be highly unorthodox and it would take a specific skill set in the young player for me to consider it.

I don't know if it would be wrong necessarily. It would be highly unorthodox and it would take a specific skill set in the young player for me to consider it.

It would be interesting to take a high school kid with a 95 mph fastball and maybe one other pitch that could be developed a bit and have a plan to have him in the MLB bullpen by 19 or 20. Maybe you can lower the development risk by just never bothering with the whole "can he get to three or four pitches and go through the lineup three times" thing. No or very little development, just air it out and aim for the plate. It's kind of Huston Street without the college.

It would be interesting to take a high school kid with a 95 mph fastball and maybe one other pitch that could be developed a bit and have a plan to have him in the MLB bullpen by 19 or 20. Maybe you can lower the development risk by just never bothering with the whole "can he get to three or four pitches and go through the lineup three times" thing. No or very little development, just air it out and aim for the plate. It's kind of Huston Street without the college.

Exactly. It is something I would consider. You also don't have to worry about innings management.

Kimbrel was drafted in the third round out of CC (20) and never started a game in the minors.

Archived