I like the way Buck is using Britton in the 8th inning this year

Frobby

It didn't exactly go the way I wanted it to (he ended up throwing too many pitches for my liking), but if he induces a ground ball from Ortiz early in the AB, you get an easy double play to end the inning. Then you hope he can get a few quick grounders in the 9th to save a few more pitches, but hey, we won, and that's all that matters. Hopefully we don't need Britton tonight, or perhaps Buck can turn to O'Day for a save if need be.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I also really dislike Ortiz, but I'd never dismiss him. There was a point about five years ago where it looked like he was done. He wasn't. So I won't assume he's done now despite his early struggles.

He really rubbed me the wrong day, with his interview the other day, when he said he wasn't done, and that he could turn it on when he wanted to (paraphrase). Well, dang, if you can, then what are you waiting for.

Hopefully we don't need Britton tonight, or perhaps Buck can turn to O'Day for a save if need be.

That's what sometimes gets glossed over in the occasional pining for multi-inning firemen: Back in the 70s and 80s it was pretty common to hear "Tippy isn't available today because he pitched 2.1 innings yesterday." Today the closer is almost always available.

He really rubbed me the wrong day, with his interview the other day, when he said he wasn't done, and that he could turn it on when he wanted to (paraphrase). Well, dang, if you can, then what are you waiting for.

Well, I hope he really is done this time and he has to eat a lot of humble pie this season. But I'm not planning my game strategy on that premise at this point.

Well, I hope he really is done this time and he has to eat a lot of humble pie this season. But I'm not planning my game strategy on that premise at this point.

True, but I am also not pitching around him either, as in years past, when he was truly a threat.

Sorry, Big Baby isn't a threat right now to double AA pitchers, seriously, what is he batting .167 the last 7 days and .198 the last 28 days.

You could have said the same thing about Adam Jones a week and a half ago. Ortiz is always a threat until proven otherwise. I am not going to gift him a go-ahead HR by bringing in a RHP.

That's what sometimes gets glossed over in the occasional pining for multi-inning firemen: Back in the 70s and 80s it was pretty common to hear "Tippy isn't available today because he pitched 2.1 innings yesterday." Today the closer is almost always available.

I'm sure he'll be available in the right situation, but I hope that Buck turns to O'Day or even Hunter if we have a 3-run lead heading into the 9th. Or better yet, we have a 5-run lead, and we don't encounter a save situation.

I also really dislike Ortiz, but I'd never dismiss him. There was a point about five years ago where it looked like he was done. He wasn't. So I won't assume he's done now despite his early struggles.

Just to pin this down, from 2007 to 2008, Ortiz's OPS dropped from 1.066 to .877. Then, as of June 2, 2009, he had a .566 OPS. He looked to be an old, fat, out of shape 33 year old who was about finished. But then he suddenly woke up, posted a .911 OPS the rest of that season, and went on to be very good from 2010-14. So, maybe he is really done this time at age 39, but if he comes up in the 8th inning with two runners on base in a one run game, I'm not fooling around, I'm going to get Zach Britton. And that's exactly what Buck did.

You could have said the same thing about Adam Jones a week and a half ago. Ortiz is always a threat until proven otherwise. I am not going to gift him a go-ahead HR by bringing in a RHP.

Adam has always been streaky.

While Ortiz did hit the ball hard, he also looked miserable at the plate. Even, our guys on TV said something last night about Ortiz not looking like much of a threat at the plate.

I think his age has finally caught up to him.

he had a long career, now is the time to hang up the cleats and move on. Of course, easy for me to say, not walking in his shoes.

I liked the fact he had Hunter warming up yesterday. Nothing makes me more upset than manager's that stick blindly with their closer. He was at a high with pitches thrown for the year so Buck was on top of it. Thanks Buck.

I'm glad Buck isn't feeling the need to hold Britton back until the 9th inning when he feels a need to shut down some guys in the 8th. That's the fourth time this year he's gone to Zach in the 8th, and Zach has done the job all four times (though one was in a game the Orioles were losing by a run). Zach has plenty of experience pitching multiple innings and I'm very comfortable letting him get 5 outs when necessary.

Yep I am a big fan of 5 out Britton. ;)

Just to pin this down, from 2007 to 2008, Ortiz's OPS dropped from 1.066 to .877. Then, as of June 2, 2009, he had a .566 OPS. He looked to be an old, fat, out of shape 33 year old who was about finished. But then he suddenly woke up, posted a .911 OPS the rest of that season, and went on to be very good from 2010-14. So, maybe he is really done this time at age 39, but if he comes up in the 8th inning with two runners on base in a one run game, I'm not fooling around, I'm going to get Zach Britton. And that's exactly what Buck did.

Of all the Red Sox hitters over the years (Including Manny Ramirez), Ortiz was the guy that scared me the most. Heck, he might be the guy that scared me the most of any hitter.

Of all the Red Sox hitters over the years (Including Manny Ramirez)' date=' Ortiz was the guy that scared me the most. [b']Heck, he might be the guy that scared me the most of any hitter[/b].

AL, it was Ken Griffey Jr.

NL, it was Bonds for sure. Heck, it was 1998, when Buck had ex-Oriole Olson intentionally walk Bonds with the bases loaded and a 2 run lead.

I'm as much of a PED agnostic as anyone, usually offering up reasonable justification for performance spikes. Dudes in 1929 had .950 OPSes at 37. But this is David Ortiz. He was definitely juicing with some magic undetectable Barry Bonds stuff.

While Ortiz did hit the ball hard, he also looked miserable at the plate. Even, our guys on TV said something last night about Ortiz not looking like much of a threat at the plate.

I think his age has finally caught up to him.

Now that Jeter is retired there is no Schadenfraude like David Ortiz Schadenfreude.

Archived