Crazy Idea - All Relievers?

Aristotelian

Are you serious? Baseball is the one sport where stats mean so much. You don't think it would be a big deal if by fluke some donkey middle relief type went 36-8 for a season?

Brad Brach could be Cy Young.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you serious? Baseball is the one sport where stats mean so much. You don't think it would be a big deal if by fluke some donkey middle relief type went 36-8 for a season?

Hopefully what would happen is that folks would realize how meaningless the win stat has become.

Just to think outside the box a little more. Say you have a reliever like Givens. You could have him face a RH's. Then when a LH comes up move him to SS/2nd. Then put him back in at Pitcher. His bat was what held him back as a position player. Ideally you could pair him with a combo player like an Adam Loewen and just have them alternate back and forth.

Didn't Davey Johnson do that with the Mets? Put the guy in the outfield not the infield but I think it has been tried.

And you think that would happen?

If someone goes 36-8.

What I think is going to happen is the old guard will die off and the importance of the win as a stat will die off with them.

Eventually the immovable shuffle off the mortal coil and society advances.

* What I am currently listening to might be effecting my replies.

Interesting concept. A few questions to ponder.

1. Who would qualify for the wins?

2. What would this do to length of the games?

3. Would there be a bigger incentive for cash strapped teams to do this since you are in essence not paying starter money to anyone?

4. How many pitchers would it truly require to pull off? If it is less than the normal 12 or 13 is that incentive enough to try since you would enjoy a huge bench?

For the record if I am old school and prefer to see my starter go the distance unless they are either tired or ineffective. Talk about a crazy concept there is one! LOL

1. Don't care about wins. Let that be the official scorer's problem.

2. Length of games would not be affected except marginally. Most pitchers would be brought in at the beginning of an inning. It would only affect time if there were pitching changes in the middle of the inning.

3. Yes, that is part of my idea.

4. Like I said, I believe you could get by with about 16 guys. You would need 6-8 guys with options that you could move back and forth. Fewer if you go with a short bench.

If someone goes 36-8.

What I think is going to happen is the old guard will die off and the importance of the win as a stat will die off with them.

Eventually the immovable shuffle off the mortal coil and society advances.

* What I am currently listening to might be effecting my replies.

It never died off in the 8 generations of baseball fans that have passed on before.

My idea was predicated upon all of the pitchers in question being able to get through a lineup one time. Nine and out. That way they would be eligible to pitch every three days or so. At first glance it works, you use a ~12 arms every three days.

But that assumes nothing goes wrong.

You would need so many guys at Norfolk and Bowie you could plug in that it would kill your 40 man roster.

By my calculation we would need about 16 active pitchers. Right now the O's are carrying 18 by my count.

By my calculation we would need about 16 active pitchers. Right now the O's are carrying 18 by my count.

But the current setup is better equipped to handle things like extra innings, double headers and guys coming in and being unable to record an out.

Trust me this is something I would love to see.

Archived