TRADE IDEA...Thoughts?

Bumps49

Why is a team in last place going take on three pending free agents? The Phillies would love to be rid of them I'm sure, but I'm sure they'd also like to have guys who are younger and controllable for a couple of years. Never mind that, do those three guys really make the Orioles any better? Hamels probably, but not Utley and Howard.

Would that be Moe Howard? This trade idea is not one I would be interested in at all.

We will play the hand we have with Wieters back until we either fall out or move up this year. If we fall out, we will trade for prospects, not overpriced guys like Hamels, Howard, Utley. If we stay in the race, hopefully we will win it all or go far in the playoffs, then we will let the free agents walk, make the QOs, take the draft picks and go look at what we can get in the winter.

Either way, no way do I take on the load of those three.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1327&d=1433714653

That would increase our payroll for this year another 32M. Yeah. Not sure it's even an upgrade. Not enough of one to even enter the fantasy land of the contracts the Orioles would never take on.

On top of that, if wieters can play up to his potential, what he showed last year, the value he provide from the catcher position exceeds what else would gain in hamels over Chen, not to mention the downgrade from Davis to Howard.

Need to think of ditching 3 supp picks as well, at which point this trade looks really poor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not seeing the value for either team in this scenario.

It would be a blockbuster trade.

The destruction of value related to supp picks from bmore and philly not obtaining anyone under control past 2015 in exchange for hamels is crazy. This would be a black hole of value all around.

The destruction of value related to supp picks from bmore and philly not obtaining anyone under control past 2015 in exchange for hamels is crazy. This would be a black hole of value all around.

A lot of people seem to think we should make trades just for the sake of making a trade.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I think we sign one pitcher who is pretty much guaranteed a starting spot, hopefully a strong #1/#2 type, and then sign a couple guys to complete with Povich, Suarez (not sure his contract status) and Rogers for the #5 spot behind Eflin, signee, Grayson and Kremer.   With Grayson's injury history, I hope we get a decent arm or two that we can either stash in AAA or in the bullpen who can start when injuries inevitably happen.  Povich will be in that mix, but performance will hopefully determine who get is.  I'm encourages by his end of the year results, but certainly don't expect big things from him next year.
    • Sure there is a ton of noise in those stats, just like there is in most/many stats.  But too many are acting like Santander is so good that he's irreplaceable and that our lineup is going to suffer by his absence.  He simply isn't that good of an all around hitter for the team to really miss him.  And while there is a ton of noise in the noted stats, they do show that at least this year he didn't show up big when we needed him.  Sure, he hit a handful of big home runs in some key situations, but by and large he wasn't really effective or impactful with RISP and came up very small in many key situations, along with the rest of the stinking team.
    • And in 2023 he had a .305 average and .919 OPS with RISP. I don’t think he suddenly became unable to hit with RISP. There’s a ton of noise in those stats. Nobody on this team creates a black hole by not being in the lineup in the future, even Gunnar. It depends on team construction, return on trade, etc.
    • I think the answer to this question depends upon how much you believe in Kjerstad (I think Mayo is ticketed for first base). I personally don’t based on what I have seen in Norfolk and Baltimore because I question whether he will get to his power due to his swing decisions, and think he will struggle with major league off speed pitches. He’ll also be in his age 26 season next year and, although that isn’t really his fault, I think the AAA numbers need to be viewed with his age in mind. I will be rooting for him to succeed because I want the Orioles to win. I just don’t have the same confidence in him that many seem to.
    • Nope, see the above post.  He was 11th on the team in BA with RISP and 12 in OPS with RISP.  That isn't exactly a guy that's carrying a team when it matters or someone that's going to create a back hole by not being in the lineup in the future.  
    • No one did, including Santander.  And that's why we are sitting home now and had a bad 2nd half of the season.  None of the others though are a free agent expecting to get 20M a year or more.  That said, with RISP he was a .234 BA hitter with a .736 OPS.  That BA with RISP was 12th on the Os in 2024, while that OPS was 11th, though admittedly some of those above him were SSS guys like Stowers and Rivera.  That's not exactly someone that 'came up big'.  When he's up with RISP, or any other time frankly, I expect one of three things.  A home run, a strikeout or an easy out.  He's not going to do much else.  And we already have too many of those type hitters on the team, though none with his home run numbers obviously.  We really aren't going to miss his one dimensional bat as much as folks are acting like.  Give him the QO and wish him well.
  • Popular Contributors