Roch: Penn Cut

dkdc

The organization's treatment of Penn is baffling. If they dislike him personally as much as they appear to, why didn't they trade him before his value started taking hits? Sending him down this early instead of having it look like he was still in their 5th starter competition (as he should have been) only lowers his perceived value even further.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we're scouting Gallagher, it wouldn't make THAT much of a difference if he was pitching here or there, right? I mean, ideally you'd like him working with Kranitz, but at least he's getting his work in.

I don't know if this cut means anything or not, but I'm surprised he would go so early.

I was thinking this as well. All reports seem to indicate he's got good stuff and came in with the right attitude. It makes me believe that we are either making a trade...or [GULP!] getting ready to sign a guy like Lohse.

Look, Penn has barely pitched over the last two years. And he wasn't effective at the ML level before. Let's get him pitching at AAA, make sure his mechanics are sound, his command and confidence are there, and then call him up.

This is hardly a big deal.

I'll add that I don't find this baffling at all: if they don't think they can stretch him out at the ML level due to numbers, and are wary of throwing him into the ML fire this year, then sending him to MiL camp to get his innings and get him starting is prudent.

It makes complete sense.

His AAA stats show he definitely deserves a shot at being an MLB pitcher, that can't be argued against.

The only justification for sending him down is if they feel he needs more time to come back from the surgery last season. I think this is the case, but he'll be one of the first callups when they need an extra reliever.

Its absurd to say "if he can't crack this lineup then you know he's not very good." That's just a silly statement with no shred of validity to it. He's got a better minor league track record than nearly any other pitcher in our system. He's got the talent, just hasn't put it all together yet for a variety of reasons.

Since he came back from his injury he hasn't returned to form. He had a 6.45 ERA and 1.67 WHIP in the AFL. Now tell me, is he ready for the O's?

He's had plenty of time to comeback from his injury. The O's just don't see him being better than Albers, Olson, Leicester, Burres right now. Sure Penn has the talent, but he isn't showing it right now. He had 1 K over 5 appearances in ST. That says something right there.

It's obvious that Penn is not very good...

What has Penn shown us since the AFL that tells the FO he is ready to be a MLB pitcher?

We're not down at ST watching him pitch. All we see are stats and reports from the media.

If he can't crack this lineup then you know he's not very good. And I doubt his unfavorable track record with his behavior is holding him back.

I guess Brandon Erbe and Chorye Spoone have no talent whatsoever since they weren't even invited to camp.

Let him spend a month or two blowing through the International League, and when somebody stinks or gets hurt he'll get his shot.

Since he came back from his injury he hasn't returned to form. He had a 6.45 ERA and 1.67 WHIP in the AFL. Now tell me, is he ready for the O's?

He's had plenty of time to comeback from his injury. The O's just don't see him being better than Albers, Olson, Leicester, Burres right now. Sure Penn has the talent, but he isn't showing it right now. He had 1 K over 5 appearances in ST. That says something right there.

Theres a big difference between not being ready for various reasons, as you seem to suggest in this post, and not being a good pitcher, which you expressed in your previous one.

Not being ready and needing a bit more time to get comfortable post surgery is fine. That's a valid reason for sending him down, although they should've given him more of a shot.

Thinking he's a terrible pitcher for no discernible reason isn't.

Oof. I'd rather bide our time with whoever at SS and keep Reimold and Penn. There's way too much potential in those two guys to trade them at this point.

If Alvarez isn't available, I hope we draft Beckham. Problem is, there's no telling when he'd be ready for the majors given his age.

Maybe to you but the rest of the people with any knowledge at all tells you this is an incredibly poor statement.

Yeah it's a poor statement if you think he's capable of starting in the rotation right now...which he isn't. Right now Penn is not very good. He has the talent to be very good and that talent was being displayed back in 2006.

BUT what has Penn shown us since he came back from injury that gives us confidence that he has returned to his 2006 AAA season? That's why he's not very good right now. His minor league return after injury was lackluster, hisAFL season was horrible, and he has 1 K over 5IP in ST. Also you have NOT seen him pitch in ST yet. Maybe he needs to be in the MiL camp to get some things worked out.

The O's just don't see Penn beating out Olson, Burress, Albers, Leicester for the 5th and long man roll.

Look, Penn has barely pitched over the last two years. And he wasn't effective at the ML level before. Let's get him pitching at AAA, make sure his mechanics are sound, his command and confidence are there, and then call him up.

This is hardly a big deal.

I'll add that I don't find this baffling at all: if they don't think they can stretch him out at the ML level due to numbers, and are wary of throwing him into the ML fire this year, then sending him to MiL camp to get his innings and get him starting is prudent.

It makes complete sense.

I agree, and I'm one of the biggest Penn fans here, probably. This just isn't a big deal nor is it confusing.

Penn needs consistent innings. He will get them at Norfolk.

He will be back this year. He has to be on the big league roster in 2009 because this is his last option being used right now. So I think he will be up for good by July.

Theres a big difference between not being ready for various reasons, as you seem to suggest in this post, and not being a good pitcher, which you expressed in your previous one.

Not being ready and needing a bit more time to get comfortable post surgery is fine. That's a valid reason for sending him down, although they should've given him more of a shot.

Thinking he's a terrible pitcher for no discernible reason isn't.

Let me restate this again... Penn is not very good right now. He has the potential to be very good. However since his injury he has not shown he can replicate his 2006 AAA numbers.

And I never said he was terrible.

Yeah it's a poor statement if you think he's capable of starting in the rotation right now...which he isn't. Right now Penn is not very good. He has the talent to be very good and that talent was being displayed back in 2006.

Well Carbera isn't very good and he also has the talent to be good, but he's in the rotation.

BUT what has Penn shown us since he came back from injury that gives us confidence that he has returned to his 2006 AAA season? That's why he's not very good right now. His minor league return after injury was lackluster, hisAFL season was horrible, and he has 1 K over 5IP in ST. Also you have NOT seen him pitch in ST yet. Maybe he needs to be in the MiL camp to get some things worked out.

The O's just don't see Penn beating out Olson, Burress, Albers, Leicester for the 5th and long man roll.

The "right now" part is the key...You didn't say that before I don't think.

You just said Pen isn't very good.

Archived