EriKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK Has Left the Building

weams

The test of a TOR starter is when you look at the schedule and you see that he's pitching, you feel sure the team is going to win. You sort of take it for granted. I had that feeling with Bedard and Mussina (except against the White Sox for Mussina). Not anyone else in the last 20 years. Tillman for a bit, but it was short-lived.

Buck said, this was his test too, when the guy takes the mound and you know before the game starts, that you have a very good chance of winning that game and of course, it was August and Tillman was pitching great and leading the way.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A shame he couldn't stay healthy but Bedard for AJ, Sherill, Tilly, Mickolo, and Butler will go down as one of the best trades this franchise has ever made. I wish Erik well in retirement. He had quite the journey to the majors and he should be proud of his career.

Buck said, this was his test too, when the guy takes the mound and you know before the game starts, that you have a very good chance of winning that game and of course, it was August and Tillman was pitching great and leading the way.

Well, I guess Dave Trembley felt that way about Bedard. And he should have: after he took over as manager in 2007, the O's racked up 12 wins in a row when Bedard started, losing only his final start of the season where he pulled his oblique muscle.

And I know people always talk about how Bedard would pull himself out of games, but I'll say it again: he averaged 6.5 IP/start in 2007, which is higher than any Orioles pitcher since then.

Well, I guess Dave Trembley felt that way about Bedard. And he should have: after he took over as manager in 2007, the O's racked up 12 wins in a row when Bedard started, losing only his final start of the season where he pulled his oblique muscle.

And I know people always talk about how Bedard would pull himself out of games, but I'll say it again: he averaged 6.5 IP/start in 2007, which is higher than any Orioles pitcher since then.

Like I have said before, I would rather the pitcher tell the manager he is gassed then go out there tired and cough up runs.

Bedard got us Tillman and possible, possible Hall of Famer Adam Jones, along with Sherrill who was very good while here.

Bedard was also the best thing we had going on a team that was very, VERY bad.

I'll have nothing but fond memories of the guy as I look back on Bedard's impact on the Orioles. (that said, I wasn't a media member.)

6.5 per start is perfectly acceptable if you beg your manager to keep you in and throw your glove against the dugout wall after he pulls you anyway.

Like I have said before, I would rather the pitcher tell the manager he is gassed then go out there tired and cough up runs.

I'd rather the pitcher punch the manager in the face for having the audacity to come out and ask if he was gassed after 184 pitches, then finish his 17-inning complete game shutout with the foolish/unconscious manager lying there on the field.

Too much?

Bedard was a great Oriole for a couple of years, but I wasn't amused by his antics with the media. I was taught to treat others as you would like them to treat you - Bedard had some beef with the media and instead of ever being the "bigger man," he became a bigger jerk than any of our sportswriters.

His career here ended perfectly, though, as the Birds pulled off their best Sell High trade ever, IMO.

Roch had a different opinion:

While former Orioles pitcher Erik Bedard settles into retirement, the assumption being that he'll find a quiet spot to be alone with his thoughts, Chris Tillman takes the mound tonight against the Red Sox and Adam Jones continues to patrol center field while in search of his fifth Gold Glove.

How's that trade working for the Orioles?

Pipe down, Tony Butler.

Bedard was 71-82 with a 3.99 ERA in 11 major league seasons, including 15-14 with a 3.31 ERA in 46 starts with the Mariners over three seasons. He went 40-34 with a 3.83 ERA in five years and 114 games with the Orioles and finished fifth in Cy Young voting in the American League in 2007.

My only beef with Bedard centered on the pure enjoyment he received in being the worst interview in the clubhouse. The smirk stayed with me.

I prefer having a pitcher refuse to talk rather than waste our time at his locker with three-word answers that served no purpose other than to make us look foolish. I saw no point in it. And he wasn't that way while in the minors. I had plenty of friendly exchanges with him.

A few members of the media still found him amusing. For me, the act got old real fast - as did Bedard, judging by his career path.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/06/more-notes-before-tonights-game-4.html

Rochs act has gotten old quick too. Atleast at one time, Erik was one of the very best at his craft. Even if it was short lived. Break a story for a change, then you can be taken seriously.

Rochs act has gotten old quick too. Atleast at one time, Erik was one of the very best at his craft. Even if it was short lived. Break a story for a change, then you can be taken seriously.

Roch got let go by the Sun and had to make a deal to stay in town.

Breaking stories isn't part of the deal.

Roch got let go by the Sun and had to make a deal to stay in town.

Breaking stories isn't part of the deal.

Good gig if you can get it I guess. Never really been a big Roch fan. Britt is really the only one I really look to for Orioles info. Otherwise, I just wait until a move is made to really believe anything.

It's not that crazy. Porcello has been extremely durable and reliable. Bedard was neither, although he was a spectacular pitcher during his very short peak.

I absolutely loved watching Bedard pitch for us in 2006-07.

Eh, it's pretty crazy in my book. 80 mill for four years of mediocrity... But I have to agree - watching Erik that one season was special. He was a monster.

Archived