I was complaining about Yesterday. This adds some perspective. A lot in this one.

weams

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All 3 of the walks scored. How could Matusz have done worse than that? Even if ARod and Tex both hit home runs it isn't worse.

I had to read your next response to understand where you were coming from. My point was more about the ineffectiveness of Matusz than Buck's trigger. There's no way Buck should have started the inning with Matusz in the 4th against Headley, Rodriguez, and Tex. Would you do that in a 1 run game? So you go with Wilson and he gives 3 scoreless and takes you to the 8th with a 3-2 lead. Let's say that Wilson strands 3 runners over his time. Now go with Matusz in the 8th against the three lefties (5-7)., right? Well then Girardi counters with Beltran, Young, and possibly McCann. Then you have to counter with Brach or O'Day. So you have a guy who forces his team to play short handed, comes back against a team with 5 lefties, and still can't help them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe what Buck says and what he believes are two different things. He uses the pressers to protect and motivate. Rarely, if ever, do we hear what he really thinks imo.

Buck knows his players and their frailties. He protects some pitchers with "tough break, found a hole", "umpire didn't give him the pitch", "he's a tough out". A couple of pitchers get "he's got to make a better pitch there" and whatever. It's what a manager has to do.

Archived