Drum beat a little louder for Cubs deal

wildcard

...but from what has been reported it is in your hands and that yall have not settled. That is the fact of what has been reported.

If I don't settle for an offer that happens to be less than what I want, it does not follow that the ball is in my court.

Fact is, we don't know where the ball is.

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I don't settle for an offer that happens to be less than what I want, it does not follow that the ball is in my court.

"the Cubs have been indicating they still haven't been told by Baltimore what it would take to get this trade done."

from Stark. That means the ball is in your court. Unless you can find anything to prove this false then it would seem fair to me that the ball is in your court.

I agree no one knows were this stands at all it is pure speculation. Neither AM or Hendry have said much about it. One day we will wake up and read a deal has been reached maybe.

This strikes me as wishful thinking. I wouldn't think it's black and white one way or the other but industry reputations certainly color relationships. However, most people don't deal with Boras because he let's everyone know how absurd his demands are up front. That's his way of setting the market and it has tradeoffs.

Similarly, some may not deal with McPhail because they'll know they're in for a protracted negotiation. This could be good or bad. On the bad side, our suitors are probably somewhat limited. On the good side, we're less likely to be taken for a ride in a trade, IMO.

...and yet, with the exception of this ARod deal, Boras usually gets what he's looking for. Who cares if people without deep pockets get scared off? They weren't in the running anyway. How did he get JD Drew all that coin?

The same thing goes for us: people might not like dealing with us, but they aren't going to turn down a deal on it's face just because we are the one's making the offer. They'd be fools to do that. Even if the negotiation is protracted, it's not frustration that kills it for the other team: it's making a deal with a third team that does it (for example).

I'm not saying our rep is good. it isn't. I just think the practical implications of that are overblown....and that's aside from the fact that I think AM has more power than Flanny did. People might not 'like' dealing with us, but they'll do it if they think it's a good deal.

So you have Hart ahead of him?

When they trade Marquis he will be 7th.

I think Gallagher's stock has taken a serious hit in the Cubs eyes, and maybe in the eyes of the O's, too. He didn't impress anyone during his brief call-up last year, and he wasn't at all impressive in ST. In his last Cactus League outing on Wednesday against Oakland, he walked three of the four batters he faced. And in the four games he has pitched, he's given up five hits and five walks over 6 1/3 innings. Yeah....small samples, I know, but if the O's are intent on trading Roberts, I really hope they are talking with teams other than the Cubs.

I think its tough to judge Gallagher on such a small sample size. Granted, he hasn't helped himself a whole lot, but I think you need to look at his body of work up to this point.

I was pretty fired up about the possibility of getting him. I wouldn't say my opinion of him has changed, but he sure hasn't impressed up to now.

I think Gallagher's stock has taken a serious hit in the Cubs eyes, and maybe in the eyes of the O's, too. He didn't impress anyone during his brief call-up last year, and he wasn't at all impressive in ST. In his last Cactus League outing on Wednesday against Oakland, he walked three of the four batters he faced. And in the four games he has pitched, he's given up five hits and five walks over 6 1/3 innings. Yeah....small samples, I know, but if the O's are intent on trading Roberts, I really hope they are talking with teams other than the Cubs.

As has been reported in the past is that the Cubs tried to experiment with Gallagher in the past coming out of the pen. They have realized that this was a mistake and Gallagher will stay a SP. I dont' think that due to this that Gallaghers stock has taken a hit at all in the "Cubs" eyes as some pitchers just aren't comfortable making the transition to the bullpen. It was also reported yesterday that Gallagher was hurried with his warm-ups before coming in from the pen but his velocity and breaking pitches were there. His previous two outings before this which one was at minor lg camp to get some work went just fine.

I agree that all of this speculation doesn't tell us much, but I can't understand the argument that the ball isn't in the O's court. The Cubs know exactly what they want, how the player(s) will fit in on their team, and pretty much what to expect out of Roberts (and Payton?). The O's are scouting and deciding on a 4th (or 5th) prospect, aren't sure how these players will impact their roster decisions, and don't know what to expect out of the players involved. Add to that logic, the fact that McPhail is known for being deliberate and what other conclusion can you come up with? The only way there is a delay on the Cubs side is if they're getting back a young player in the deal along with Roberts (and Payton?).

Rich Hill (aka Erik Bedard, Jr) had a very Loewen-like outing today: 1.1 IP, 6 BB, 1 K, 3 R. On the spring, he has a 7.11 ERA with a 9/14 K/BB.

Is there any chance the Cubs freak out and make him available?

I agree that all of this speculation doesn't tell us much, but I can't understand the argument that the ball isn't in the O's court. The Cubs know exactly what they want, how the player(s) will fit in on their team, and pretty much what to expect out of Roberts (and Payton?). The O's are scouting and deciding on a 4th (or 5th) prospect, aren't sure how these players will impact their roster decisions, and don't know what to expect out of the players involved. Add to that logic, the fact that McPhail is known for being deliberate and what other conclusion can you come up with? The only way there is a delay on the Cubs side is if they're getting back a young player in the deal along with Roberts (and Payton?).[/QUOTE]

...or they don't want to part with the players that the O's want. It looks to me that the cast of "Cub characters" in this hypothetical "deal' did not do much to impress the O's scouts during spring training. If these guys had been lights out and showed they were ready to step up to major league roles in a competent way, I think this would have become a no-brainer and a deal would have been done. Right now, of the names being thrown around, there is still a tremendous amount of doubt as to what their ultimate upside is. With the Mariners, at least we got a couple of guys back in the deal that were going to be part of their major league team (Jones, Sherrill). Cedeno may be the only name in the mix that will be on the team (and that's not a definite) and I really don't think the O's are dying to get Marquis. So, there really isn't much being offered that we can get overly excited about in terms of long-term impact players who can contribute at the major league level.

No. Is Loewen available because of his outing yesterday?

The Orioles don't expect to contend, so they can afford to have Loewen go through some growing pains in the majors. The Cubs have a very small margin for error.

<a href="http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/03/hill-explodes-a.html">Paul Sullivan</a> seems to agree that Hill's rotation spot is in jeopardy.

Could Lou Piniella's next big surprise be leaving Rich Hill out of the rotation?

After Thursday's horrendous outing by Hill, anything is possible.

The Cubs left-hander walked six batters in 1 1/3 innings against Colorado, giving him 14 walks and a 7.59 earned-run average over his last four outings, covering 10 2/3 innings.

Last year, Hill went the entire spring without walking a single batter. This year he looks clueless.

In the first inning on Thursday, Hill started out throwing seven straight balls, and eight of his first nine pitches were out of the zone. He walked the bases loaded, induced a double play grounder, and then walked the next two men to load the bases again before getting out of the jam with only one run scoring.

In the second, Hill walked the leadoff man and later made a throwing error to first base to allow another run to score. Manager Lou Piniella mercifully yanked Hill after he faced only 11 batters, giving up six walks and a double. The sellout crowd cheered as Hill trudged off the mound.

Thus far all the talk about the odd-man out in the rotation has centered around Jon Lieber and Jason Marquis, assuming Ryan Dempster is in. But Lieber has a 1.80 ERA, and Marquis has a 1.93 ERA. Even Sean Marshall, who pitches Friday against Colorado, has a respectable 3.24 ERA.

Marshall is probably headed to Baltimore in a Brian Roberts deal, but you have to wonder if some in the organization would rather hang onto him, especially if Hill’s control problems are this glaring. It’s going to be an interesting decision, to say the least.

We'll get more on this from Hill and Piniella later, so stay tuned.

Ive got another angle on this they may or may not have bearing on this whole delay...

With as much press as Coco's complaints about being a backup, has everyone forgot about Payton's 2005 exit from Boston? I know he gets a $250,000 trade kicker when he is traded, but could the Cubs be concerned he may not be happy being a backup in another league?

Just a thought, and hopefully its much to do about nothing, but still a thought.

Once again where has it ever been suggested anywhere that the Orioles have settled on names? I am not just talking about Wittenmyer I am talking about Cubs sources who have also said the Orioles have not said anything. You arent reading what I am saying correctly.

Secondly I would say that Gallagher Veal and Cedeno is fair.. That is just my opinion.

Thirdly its obvious that this is not on our end. Yalls scouts are still evaluating our minor league prospects

Here is my opinion what is going on.. Hendry has said McPhail this is what we have to offer you you can take this many or that many prospects. However if you take guy X then you cant have guy y and z. I suspect there is a deadline of monday or tuesday out there and if nothing works itself out we might just see a Jay Payton deal. Which would be fine with me.

I respect what McPhail has done here in trying to upgrade the club but I tend to agree with Dave that this could potentially harm his ability to broker deals with other clubs.

First, I do understand your argument, I just do not agree with it. I am sure the Cubs have put names up. They are not acceptable to AM. If he thinks they are not fair he should hold out for more.

Second, if the Orioles trade Roberts for Gallagher, Veal and Cedeno who is a spare part, the Cubs should celebrate. That is not a fair deal.

Third, it is not obvious at all. I believe AM does his homework, he knows the Cub system very well. There are a few magic names that when added to the deal would get it done. He has not heard them yet.

Basically your oppinion is exactly what I said. Hendry has offered a few contigency packages. They have not satisfied AM. Why is he wrong for driving a hard bargain??

Archived