Could Parmelee be a nugget?

Frobby

What makes Parmalee interesting to me, is that he appears to be a very good defensive first baseman. From what I have seen very, very good. So in my old world view, thats half the game. If he hits to a .750-.775 OPS he is in my opinion a viable option at first base going forward.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As much as I am frustrated by Davis and his poor hitting and high K rate, the idea of going forward without him and his team leading HR and RBI year after year worries me. Parmalee is decent so far, maybe better than that, but theres probably a reason he was made available to us. Same thing with Paredes. If we DO let Davis go, we'd better have a plan to get some sort of power bat for this lineup. On another note, I don't think Joseph is a major league hitter for our catcher either.We better be wise about what we do with our money.

If Davis keeps going like he is RIGHT now you won't have to worry about him.

He Be Gone! But just maybe he can get us to a WS if he keeps cranking. :D

We'll see it's going to be and interesting 2nd half.

Chris Parmelee is off to a nice start with us. He's only 27, and under team control for three more years after this one. Could he be our 1B for that entire period? How would you feel about an infield of Parmelee, Schoop, Hardy and Manny for the next three seasons, with Flaherty filling in wherever needed?

Obviously we need to see a lot more of Parmelee, but his history is kind of similar to Chris Davis when we acquired him (with more contact, less power). He's a good defensive 1B and can play the OF if needed. If he can post an .800ish OPS, he could be a nugget.

He has good AB, ask me again in Sept.

I like the idea of Heyward as a COF, fill the other COF out of Alvarez, Pearce, Snider, etc. and Parmelee/Pearce 1B.

Don't you think Heyward is going to get a contract that is a little rich for the Orioles' blood? I know they have some salary coming off the books, but Heyward might get 6/150 or more. I'd be interested, he's a rare combination of young and good. But he would be the biggest contract in team history by a good margin.

I think he's our first baseman for the next three years, though I'm thinking more cheap, league-average regular than "nugget." I think he'll be very useful, allowing Dan to use resources elsewhere (SP, outfield, catcher).

Don't you think Heyward is going to get a contract that is a little rich for the Orioles' blood? I know they have some salary coming off the books, but Heyward might get 6/150 or more. I'd be interested, he's a rare combination of young and good. But he would be the biggest contract in team history by a good margin.

Considering the Orioles have some decent, though not great depth in the outfield and in the rotation, I think the smartest move is to just MacPhail it and let the market percolate. I don't really care which of Gordon, Heyward, Jackson, Fowler, Upton, Cespedes, Gallardo, Zimmermann, Samardjiza, Price, Chen, Greinke, etc. etc. we land, because all of them would be useful, so I'd rather wait on the best deals later in the offseason, rather than falling victim to the early bidding wars.

Of the major FA OF I think he will cost the least. He has been a disappointment in the power dept. for a while now. Of course they are more likely to look at the likes of Austin Jackson, Fowler, Parra, Joyce, etc.

He's a nugget. Considering he's batting in the top of the lineup with Davis and MW on the team. I don't see him taking a smaller role next year after they leave. I trust his away splits from his career in minnesota and the consistent, quality AB's I've seen him have here.

And just a positive for next year. We have no problem this year with MW only playing half the games. So basically the only loss for next year's lineup is Davis.

Machado

Parades

Jones

Parm

Hardy

Snider

RF'er

Joseph

Flaherty/Schoop

He's a nugget. Considering he's batting in the top of the lineup with Davis and MW on the team. I don't see him taking a smaller role next year after they leave. I trust his away splits from his career in minnesota and the consistent, quality AB's I've seen him have here.

And just a positive for next year. We have no problem this year with MW only playing half the games. So basically the only loss for next year's lineup is Davis.

Machado

Parades

Jones

Parm

Hardy

Snider

RF'er

Joseph

Flaherty/Schoop

Many people thought De Aza and Pearce are nuggets also. De Aza is gone. Granted he is hitting like .400 with three homers and seven RBI's over the last week but we got rid of him. Pearce plays once in a while and is having a below average year, Parmalee might be good or perhaps he gets let go this year or next.

Archived