Orioles interested in Justin Upton, others

jamesenoch

Normally I don't get excited about rumors like this but getting Upton would be huge. He and Heyward are the only two free agent outfielders worth pursuing. If we could make the deal and sign him to an extension our winter would already be a success. It will take a lot. Assuming he will be healthy, I would offer Bundy as part of the deal.

I see no reason he would consider an extension.

It would be nice to not have to give up a draft pick if they did sign him as a free agent.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This one is tough. If the team is close then Upton is the caliber of player that could push them over the top.

But the cost is probably going to be higher then I would be willing to pay for a rental.

I'd do it if he agreed to an extension. I agree that the cost would be too high for a rental, but not if we can get him for the next 6-7 years. He's still young.

A core going forward of Machado/Upton/Schoop/Jones/Paredes would be pretty sweet.

It would be nice to not have to give up a draft pick if they did sign him as a free agent.

So San Diego trades him to Houston, he elects free agency after the season and the Orioles target him with all their freed up money. Seems legit.

I'd do it if he agreed to an extension. I agree that the cost would be too high for a rental, but not if we can get him for the next 6-7 years. He's still young.

A core going forward of Machado/Upton/Schoop/Jones/Paredes would be pretty sweet.

He has no incentive to sign an extension.

None.

You might have to pay over market value at this point to secure his rights.

Ken RosenthalVerified account

‏@Ken_Rosenthal

To add to @jonmorosi report on #Orioles’ interest in J. Upton: Team also has inquired on C. Gomez. But does BAL have prospects for big move?

It would be crazy considering the teams in on him

Upton-Gausman straight up

Upton-Bundy and Harvey

Upton-Cisco, Reyes, Mancini, Davies

Zobrist is a much better fit and literally wouldn't cost the farm.

It would be crazy considering the teams in on him

Upton-Gausman straight up

Upton-Bundy and Harvey

Upton-Cisco, Reyes, Mancini, Davies

Zobrist is a much better fit and literally wouldn't cost the farm.

I really hope DD wouldn't do any of the three.

I agree, it would be to his advantage to wait until he becomes a free agent. But I see this as a unique situation for Duquette. He has the resources to spend and he could be willing to offer Upton six plus years. Whatever, I'll enjoy following this one.

No, Baltimore does not have the prospects for a big move. We have only a few prospects that anyone would want and frankly, we are more than one player away. We should not be mortgaging any of our future for any one rental player right now.

if Upton would agree to an extension, then I may be more open to the idea of bringing him aboard. But as has been said, there's no reason he would agree to that.

Making a splash move right now would be a HUGE mistake IMO.

Archived